So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

jtizzle1023

Not sure if this was mentioned. On Inside the Magic (Podcast) It was reported that Disney filed papers for the Adventures club building to be removed. That was just last week. I had been wondering about this myself for a while now too

flavious27

It's Possible they'll hold up any more info until the D23 expo..and more..I'm hoping.

For a project that has been announced atleast two times already? by this point either do it or get off the pot.

Just reopen the clubs, put something INTERESTING in to Virgin Megastore, and move on already. This is getting embarrassing.

Yeah, just about up there with flamingo crossing.

Ooh, thanks for reminding us. Bradford did go on record with multiple media sources last November stating that the ampthitheater-park would be ready in "Summer, 2011".

I guess you could give him the benefit of the doubt by saying that the Summer Solstice was just this past Tuesday, and that he's got about 90 days until the Autumnal Equinox on September 21st to get it done. Hey Keith, you got a park to build, it's time for a Home Depot run! :lookaroun

I bet there is enough supplies backstage in the whole park to get PI back open.

jt04

For a project that has been announced atleast two times already? by this point either do it or get off the pot.

I guess folk need reminding that it was announced this project would take at least a few years. It is somewhat comparable to the time it is taking to redo DCA. There are just a lot of logistical issues when repurposing/reimagining/refurbishing etc, an area still accessable by the general public. Add in the added disadvantage of working with third parties (something they essentially don't have to deal with at DCA) and it is obvious this is no simple task they have undertaken.

OK, you all can resume your food fight now. :wave:

trr1

Wondering which is worse.
1. Flamingo Crossings idea
or

2. Close PI and try to get 3rd party's to pay for "Bold" new vision (Hyperion Wharf)

screenshot.png

mayoki

Anyone think this is related to the perpetual delay in developing the Western Way "Flamingo Crossing" project? Perhaps there are not enough sponsors/companies willing to invest?? Both projects currently seem to be weed farms at the present.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

I really don't see what the holdup is or the need for sponsors and such. Just build an awesome looking place that is an actual entertainment district with some clubs, live music, shops, restaurants, and theaters both movie and live. People will come and spend money, it's not that complicated.

Admiral01

Premium Member
I really don't see what the holdup is or the need for sponsors and such. Just build an awesome looking place that is an actual entertainment district with some clubs, live music, shops, restaurants, and theaters both movie and live. People will come and spend money, it's not that complicated.

They did. It opened in 1989 and was called "Pleasure Island."

Master Gracey

I think they should have a adventurers club type attraction, but isn't the building gone?

Nope. The Adventurers Club is still standing proudly at the top of Hill Street and despite some websites and "Inside the Magic" finding the same papers that we saw in March (before Hyperion Wharf was put on permanent hold) reporting that

. . .Disney filed papers for the Adventures club building to be removed. That was just last week. I had been wondering about this myself for a while now too

there is no demolition in the future for any more buildings on Pleasure Island. Perfect time for Team Disney Orlando to act upon what the public actually wants, reopened night clubs and especially the Advneturers Club.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

Lee

Adventurer
Wrong, Mouse Detective. Mr. Morrow, Tom had it exactly right. The negative publicity from all the teenagers bringing down the quality and safety of the area was the first problem. The area only being open from 5pm until late was a second issue in that it was not bringing in enough revenue. Please do some research before you post next time. You are a "detective" after all.

Answer me this: If Pleasure Island was so safe and successful and popular, why did Disney shut it down for three years without replacing anything? Why give up such a profit-generating venture? You can't answer that because I just did, above. All of PI was a dying, failed, inappropriate endeavor for Disney. The same idea located within a park, past security and turnstiles, geared mainly for guests of the WDW resort, might have worked but that will never happen.

PI was more of a dinosaur than anything in DAK, and that includes the AC. I'm glad all of them are gone. Disney may not do better in the future, but they certainly couldn't do any worse than the past. Oh, and Universal's Citywalk is an open-air strip mall that would die in any other city. At least USO fanboys have that new miniature golf thingy to look forward to. I'm so happy for you. :ROFLOL:

Wow...rarely is one post capable of being so entirely, completely wrong.

71jason

Wondering which is worse.
1. Flamingo Crossings idea
or

2. Close PI and try to get 3rd party's to pay for "Bold" new vision (Hyperion Wharf)

Again, both plans showed a fundamental lack of understanding of the make-up of the WDW customer base, and what kind of rents the LBV/west Kissimmee area will sustain.

A variation on PI 2.0 worked in Anaheim, but that's a different market--and the rents they thought they could get in Orlando's PI 2.0 were and are insanely high, especially with all the "weenies" to draw people to the Island closed. No wonder they thought this plan would be more profitable than the quite-profitable existing clubs--it was based on a fairy tale. It's like a kid in college taking out loans based on the assumption he'll get a $100k job the year he graduates.

Similarly, no major chain is going to buy into Flamingo Crossing when they can get cheaper rent (or even had to pay a bit more for) for a site on 192 or 535 with more traffic/visibility. It's not like this property was branded "Disney" or going to be located inside the gates--it was simply another Crossroads or Formosa Gardens, only in the middle of nowhere. If you own Sweet Tomatoes, do you build there, or by the brand new Super Target that fronts onto 192 just a mile or two away?

Pioneer Hall

Again, both plans showed a fundamental lack of understanding of the make-up of the WDW customer base, and what kind of rents the LBV/west Kissimmee area will sustain.

A variation on PI 2.0 worked in Anaheim, but that's a different market--and the rents they thought they could get in Orlando's PI 2.0 were and are insanely high, especially with all the "weenies" to draw people to the Island closed. No wonder they thought this plan would be more profitable than the quite-profitable existing clubs--it was based on a fairy tale. It's like a kid in college taking out loans based on the assumption he'll get a $100k job the year he graduates.

Similarly, no major chain is going to buy into Flamingo Crossing when they can get cheaper rent (or even had to pay a bit more for) for a site on 192 or 535 with more traffic/visibility. It's not like this property was branded "Disney" or going to be located inside the gates--it was simply another Crossroads or Formosa Gardens, only in the middle of nowhere. If you own Sweet Tomatoes, do you build there, or by the brand new Super Target that fronts onto 192 just a mile or two away?

I agree that this is the problem with Flamingo crossings. Location is key, and that area sees no traffic. People would have to go there really for the purpose of those hotels, restaurants, and shops. I take that road into WDW when I go now since I come from that direction, and it is just a ghost town. Off the highway and into property...no big commercial center that would really draw someone to that location. Plus, Disney didn't want to market this as their own as they do with DTD. All those guests that they take back and forth to the airport to prevent them from renting cars wouldn't have a way of getting there. Disney wanted to play real estate developer for land that they weren't going to use. I understand the point, but they really didn't seem to think it out.

SeaBase86

Ok first off this thread is hillarious.

Next I can understand the argument of the rowdiness of the visitors to the clubs. However, Disney had to understand what they were getting into with this idea. It is true the times have changed since 1989 but still they had to believe that people who visit clubs aren't always going to be nice and perfect and calm. They should have also planned for the future of the island. I know no one could predict this economic climate (well some of us could have) but Disney should of had a backup plan.

There a lot of problems in this "world." From the dismal state of PI to that horrid Flamingo's Crossing idea. Don't gete started on that darn 1,000 acres they sold off for a hotel that's not theirs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom