Snacks in Park and other advice needed

BaltimoreBaloo

The boyfriend and I are planning our trip for late Sept 2014 or late January 2015.

We are driving to Disney as we only live 5 hours from Orlando.

Few things, the resorts I've looked into were the Value Resorts, and All Star is very reasonable during our stay. We did look into FT Wilderness, but I can't see myself Camping after being outside in the Parks all day. I have heard that there are NO mini fridges nor
microwaves in these value resorts. Then I've read fridges are available at extra cost but there is no option on the website for when you're booking the room. Does anyone know if this is 100% true?
Also, the snack policy, I've read on Disneys website that yes we are allowed to bring in snacks in a small book bag but NO coolers. I have a small 31 bag that is insulated(fits in a backpack) I would like to pack healthy snacks in. Does that count?(That may be a dumb question).
Another thing, we have a cheaper option to stay off site(about 180.00 cheaper), however, I have always stayed off site as a child and never experienced the ON site Magic, or the DME! Is this all worth $180.00?

Thank you so much for anyone who is kind enough to reply to my "Newbiness" to Disney. I've never booked for myself and someone else before!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I don't know what happened when all the fridges were pulled and replaced but it was my understanding that the value resorts had beverage coolers not refrigerators like the moderate and deluxe resorts. Maybe that changed???

beveragecooler.jpg

My concern is if they are chillers the temperature is not generally not cold enough for any perishables.
We stayed at POP in February and had a regular refrigerator, not a beverage chiller.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is what the Mini Fridge's Look Like..
Pop-Fridge.jpg

Yep, fridge not chiller. I wonder when Disney replaced the majority of all the fridges/coolers on property or if they went to all fridges and skipped the chiller thing. Too many people don't understand that chillers do not get cold enough for many types of food and why would they??? I hope for the health and safety of guests they just went with ALL fridges for chiller resorts.

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We stayed at POP in February and had a regular refrigerator, not a beverage chiller.

Yay! Is Pop the one value that always had fridges over chillers? I can't remember which one did. The moderates on up always had mini fridges that grew in size over the years once they decided to grant guests them.

It is one of those things I was thankful for. Filling coolers with ice was a chore I didn't like (and my DH is the one that actually did it. )

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The values did not always have fridges. You could rent one for a fee. (Of course you had to rent them at mods and deluxe years ago also.) But I believe all resorts had (and currently have) fridges, not chillers.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

Thank You! We're driving so no airport needed here! We only live 5 hours away.
The week in February 2015 is not yet viewable for the prices but in Sept, POP is $19/night more than All Star. Figured of we were staying 5 nights, we would save $100 staying at All Star. The boyfriend & I could use that extra $100 to drink around the world at Epcot one day, haha.

Since we are driving, I was just thinking, we are able to pack things that one couldn't pack on a plane(like a cooler with food for the hotel) if no Mini Fridge is offered. I'm going to call the resort directly and ask about mini fridges and microwaves!

Also, any recommendations as to what time of year is better? Late Sept/Early Oct or Late Jan/Early Feb?

A cooler would be a great idea, because all the hotels will have an ice machine.... Good thinking :joyfull:

Upvote 0

righttrack

The biggest cash savings I find is having a few cases of water in your room. Drink up when you are in the room, and take two bottles with you to the parks, one you consume on the bus and in line, and one you carry into the park. Staying hydrated and saving money.

As for the snacks, I'd say room snacks, nuts, carrots, granola bars are a good idea. For those of us who fly, we can get these all delivered from garden grocer, but since you're driving, sure, what you have is fine.

I'd strongly suggest parking your car and using the transportation, except when going to another resort to dine that isn't on some boat or monorail line. The transportation just takes a lot of the worry out. While some parks, you might do well with a car, like Animal Kingdom or Disney Studios, you sure don't want one in Magic Kingdom, nor Epcot where they just add hassle and time. The roads are becoming more and more hostile to cars.

Staying on property is the way to go. It's a lot like going on a cruise where you just leave a lot of the worry to them. Good luck and have fun on your trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom