Smoke a Cigar on the Balcony at WL?

righttrack

Just curious. Can you smoke on your deck at WL? If you are in non-smoking? It just seems like the perfect place to catch some zzz's, a smoke and some relaxation at night.

Laura

Premium Member
kengels said:
Do it...I did, three or four times looking over the pool and Bay Lake! Nothing finer than your beautiful wife, glass of wine and a smooth cigar! Just use common sense and your best judgment. If you don't feel 100% confident in your actions and the possible repercussions (what ever they may be) then grab your woman and a bottle of Chianti and head down to the geyser.

It's not about repercussions - it's about being courteous to other people around you. Just because you can get away with something does not mean it's ok.

Upvote 0

goofyman

maelstrom said:
When I stayed at the Contemporary, the guests in the room above ours were smoking cigarettes and flicking the ashes and butts off their balcony and they were landing on ours, not to mention the smell of smoke. That was not cool. Please be considerate of other guests and do not smoke on your balcony.
I had the same thing happen at WL. ! Makes me crazy!

Upvote 0

righttrack

Original Poster
maelstrom said:
When I stayed at the Contemporary, the guests in the room above ours were smoking cigarettes and flicking the ashes and butts off their balcony and they were landing on ours, not to mention the smell of smoke. That was not cool. Please be considerate of other guests and do not smoke on your balcony.

Thats just rude. Typically somebody smoking above you shouldn't bother you. The smoke will rise. Ashes falling down on you, just wrong, on all accounts. I raised the question, but I understand how most of you feel about this. Thanks for your honest answers. That is what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Aaka said:
I on the other hand would say "No, it's not alright."

You might close your balcony up to tight to protect your room, but what about the people one or two balconies down? Did they close their's up tight? Should they have to? Maybe they are trying to sit out and enjoy the evening too and don't care to smell a cigar?

I'd be pretty upset if I got a non-smoking room and had to adjust my use of my balcony around someone else's desire to sneak a cigar.

So please be polite and don't.

Smoking is allowed on the balconeys of non smoking rooms. No one is sneaking anything, they are within the rules. Ask an CM.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

JPVonDrake said:
Officially, if you are in a non-smoking room, smoking is not allowed on the balcony/patio of that room at the deluxe resorts. Also smoking is not allowed on the breeseways of the non-smoking buildings at all the other resorts.

Hope this helps! :sohappy:

Sorry, but smoking is allowed on the balconies/patios of non smoking rooms. I got that from a CM.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

PeterPan1031 said:
I have some good advice for you......DONT SMOKE....ITS BAD FOR YOU!

Yeah, yeah, whatever, go back to neverland, Peter. People do smoke and do other things that are not good for them, do what my grandmother adivsed, "tend to your own knitting". Or in plain English, "mind your own buisness".

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Gail Hayden said:
Sorry, but smoking is allowed on the balconies/patios of non smoking rooms. I got that from a CM.
Gail, officially it isn't allowed. Faced with people smoking on balconies or smoking inside an non-smoking room, almost any CM will allow those people to smoke on the balconies.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

maelstrom said:

Since smoke rises, I would thing the better advice would be: use an ashtray and be considerate of those below you. I totally dislike cig. butts anywhere but in an ashtray. I also dislike trash in my ashtray. :)

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Laura22 said:
Ditto - Nothing better to kill the mood and wreck your relaxation than when someone contaminates your fresh air with smoke.

I think smokers just don't even realize how irritating it is to non-smokers when they smoke even 20 feet away. If I paid good money for a non-smoking room and someone a few balconies away lit up I would be furious and probably call the front desk to complain.

The smokers paid good money too. You never know if the room you are a few balconies away from is a smoking room too. Complain, for sure, but chances are, with the exception of AKL, smoking outside on a balcony or patio is allowed.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Laura22 said:
Ditto - Nothing better to kill the mood and wreck your relaxation than when someone contaminates your fresh air with smoke.

I think smokers just don't even realize how irritating it is to non-smokers when they smoke even 20 feet away. If I paid good money for a non-smoking room and someone a few balconies away lit up I would be furious and probably call the front desk to complain.

Laura,
That door swings both ways. You and you alone are responsible for your moods, likes, and dislikes. You will never know how irritating you non smokers are to those of us who obey the rules and get bitched at for doing so. If you are holding someone else reponsible for your reactions to situations beyond your control, I think it would be wise to reanalyze your reaction to outside forces. You and you alone are responsible for your actions and reactions.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

TURKEY said:
Gail, officially it isn't allowed. Faced with people smoking on balconies or smoking inside an non-smoking room, almost any CM will allow those people to smoke on the balconies.

Hey Turkey!!!
Did we or did we not just say the same thing? I am an DVC member, who always request a smoking unit at OKW. I was once given a non smoking unit and when I complained about it was given ashtrays. Go figure. It is apparent that CMs do whatever make the guest happy. Am I right or not? But, in response to you, I have always been told that outside(not in the parks) was open air and not subject to smoking,non smoking rules.

Upvote 0

righttrack

Original Poster
Gail Hayden said:
The smokers paid good money too. You never know if the room you are a few balconies away from is a smoking room too. Complain, for sure, but chances are, with the exception of AKL, smoking outside on a balcony or patio is allowed.

Outdoors is outdoors, or so I was told by a CM when I was at WL. Nighttime was cigar-o-rama outside. Groups of men gathered outside of Roaring Forks and other spots lighting up cigars and sharing bottles of purchased spirits. A really nice way to unwind.

Upvote 0

Woody13

righttrack said:
Outdoors is outdoors, or so I was told by a CM when I was at WL. Nighttime was cigar-o-rama outside. Groups of men gathered outside of Roaring Forks and other spots lighting up cigars and sharing bottles of purchased spirits. A really nice way to unwind.

So, "outdoors" at the parks is different from "outdoors" at the resorts? Or is "outdoors is outdoors" just a CM myth?

Upvote 0

AEfx

Woody13 said:
So, "outdoors" at the parks is different from "outdoors" at the resorts?

In a word, yes.

WDW has no offical non-smoking rules for the outdoors outside of parks. That's why there are no "designated smoking areas" in any other places.

AEfx

Upvote 0

Woody13

AEfx said:
In a word, yes.

WDW has no offical non-smoking rules for the outdoors outside of parks. That's why there are no "designated smoking areas" in any other places.

AEfx
Can you smoke in a resort queue while waiting for a bus?

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Woody13 said:
So, "outdoors" at the parks is different from "outdoors" at the resorts? Or is "outdoors is outdoors" just a CM myth?

Yeppers Woody, outdoors at the parks is different from outdoors at the resorts.
Parks have designated areas for smoking. IMHO, a GREAT idea for the parks.

Upvote 0

Gail Hayden

Woody13 said:
Can you smoke in a resort queue while waiting for a bus?

Not sure of the rules, Woody, but, I have seen it being done. Personally, I think that a rude exercise. If I smoke while waiting for a bus, I leave the queue or bus stop area and smoke FAR FAR FAR away from others. BUT, since I rarely take a bus anywhere at anytime, it is not an issue for me. :)

Upvote 0

righttrack

Original Poster
Woody13 said:

The parks are obviously different. I would also say that courtesy does prevail at the resorts. Its obviously frowned upon to be smoking in a crowded pool area at midday. For cigar smokers this really isn't a problem since cigar smoking is a hobby rather than a habit for the vast majority. We don't "need" to smoke a cigar, we do it when the time is right to enjoy it. Just don't make us put out a $16 cigar once we've lit it, thats all.

Upvote 0

Woody13

Effective January 30, 2000 Walt Disney World began its current smoking policy. Throughout the theme parks there are designated smoking areas. Smoking at the water parks, Disney's Wide World of Sports, golf courses, and miniature golf courses is also restricted to designated outdoor areas and lounges only. All restaurants at WDW are smoke free. At this time the smoking policy remains as it was in Downtown Disney and all of the resort hotels. However, WDW is working on a new and more restrictive smoking policy for the resorts as well as some other changes. Stay tuned. Obviously, "outdoors" is not "outdoors".

Upvote 0

bidnow5

Outdoors is not outdoors in the non smoking area of the resorts. When we had a woman smoking out side of the room next to us I complained to her after I had an asthma attack because of her and lost a whole day. She ignored me so I complained at the desk and within 20 minutes a CM was knocking on the door and letting them know not to smoke around the non smoking rooms

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom