Small World coming to HKDL 2008

malice

Original Poster
This morning they just announced 3 new attractions for HKDL: it's a small world, the animation academy (placement is in main street), and mickey's waterworks parade. The parade and Animation Academy are due for 2007. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to link to the other disney site with concept art, but here goes:

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View-334.asp

"A feature at every Disney theme park around the world, it's a small world is a boat ride attraction containing a colorful cast of international dolls "singing" the famous theme song, ‘It's a small world (After All)'. Celebrating the notion of nations, people and societies all coming together in global harmony, the attraction is scheduled to open in the first half of 2008.

This classic attraction was first seen in New York at the 1964-65 World's Fair before being moved to become the newest attraction at Disneyland in California the following year. Walt Disney commissioned the Oscar-winning Sherman brothers to come up with a simple piece of music, for guests' enjoyment as they sailed through the attraction on boats - one which could be repeated over and over and sung in different languages. The theme song‘s lively tune added a magical touch and captured the heart of millions of people around the world. It was soon hailed as a universal anthem for world peace.

"We are thrilled to introduce this new yet classic attraction which will bring even more enjoyment to our Guests, with amazing scenes and beloved Disney characters exclusive to Hong Kong Disneyland," added Ernest.

For the first time ever, more than 30 popular Disney characters, including Peter Pan, Aladdin and Mulan, will join the existing dolls to be seamlessly blended in the countries where their stories take place. Enhanced with an expanded Asia section which will include famous regional landmarks such as the Great Wall, the Temple of Heaven and the distinctive Hong Kong skyline, the attraction will also include a Middle Eastern scene and a new scene for North America – something not even North America's Disney resorts enjoy!

The grand finale features the children of the world coming together from all the corners of the globe for a spectacular "curtain call" with some extraordinary optical lighting effects not seen on any other Disney ride! Another exceptional aspect of Hong Kong's own it's a small world is its classic façade, inspired by the versions in the U.S., Tokyo and Paris, which boasts a unique color scheme and has been specially designed to take advantage of the different quality of light in Hong Kong."

mharrington

Wow! With the exception of Disney characters being included into Small World, I'm kinda pleased at it coming to HKDL at last! For some reason, the models remind of the original plans back in the mid-60s when the ride was being developed for the World's Fair! It looks like Disneyland Paris won't be the only Disney park whose Small World has a North America section anymore, either.

darthjohnny

Sounds really cool! :)

For the first time ever, more than 30 popular Disney characters, including Peter Pan, Aladdin and Mulan, will join the existing dolls to be seamlessly blended in the countries where their stories take place. Enhanced with an expanded Asia section which will include famous regional landmarks such as the Great Wall, the Temple of Heaven and the distinctive Hong Kong skyline, the attraction will also include a Middle Eastern scene and a new scene for North America – something not even North America's Disney resorts enjoy!

The addition of Disney Characters was originally planned for the 1st version of "it's a small world." They recently came out with a framed pin set in WDW commemorating this idea. It's nice to see that they are bringing it back. :)

DigitalDisney

At least they're getting something unique, instead of a cookie cutter (like many of their other attractions)

The new parade sounds a little questionable to me. I wonder if there will be dry zones to watch it in, because it sounds like everybody will get at least a little wet.

mharrington

here are the pins with the disney characters done IASW style, probably a good indication of what we will see in the final attraction:

http://www.dizpins.com/monthly_releases/2006/wdw_april2006_small_world.htm

Pretty ugly, if you ask me. BTW, what will be the language heard when the song is sung at the end? Will it be English or Cantonese? I think Cantonese would make sense, because the language of the country a Disney park is in is the language used in all the Small World attractions worldwide:

• English (Disneyland; Walt Disney World)
  • Japanese (Tokyo Disneyland)
  • French (Disneyland Paris)

With the exception of Disney characters being included into Small World...

Why must you be so negative, Mharrington?!:(

You need to be more open to new things like that.

IMO, that IaSW pin set with the chibi renderings of the characters is actually quite beautiful, creative, nicely done and well-modelled after the map of the ride that appeared in the book of the original IaSW LP. I actually own that particular framed pin set, too.

And I kinda like the idea of IaSW getting those new things, as if that pin set inspired these new additions.

Like with the Pirates of the Caribbean enhancements, the way I see it is that they're not changing IaSW for HKDL, but rather plussing it.

All the bashing towards Disney characters being added to attractions like that is old and annoying already. Most of Disney's attractions, even ones that were created during Walt's time, were based on films and it's still a magical exprience to get a chance to step into those worlds and become part of the adventures.

mharrington

I guess I'm just not used to things like that, that's all. Unless, of course, they install the characters into other versions of the ride already in existence. In fact, if you were to look at the thread showing some of my ideas on improving Walt Disney World, you would notice that one of them is to improve Small World, by not just including characters in, but also adding a scene about North America and changing the ride for Christmas. And besides, they're going to shut down the already-updated Pirates in California to add Will and Elizabeth. And let's not forget the rockin' update for the updated Space Mountain! How do you like those apples?

My point is, if they can update one recently-updated attraction, they can update another.

darthjohnny

improve Small World, by not just including characters in, but also adding a scene about North America and changing the ride for Christmas.

Technically, there are North American scenes: Mexico, and I believe there is also Canada somewhere around there.

But there is no United States of America (excluding the Cowboy and American Indian at the end)

I believe that the Imagineers never installed American scenes in the WDW and Disneyland versions because the majority of guests were already familiar with their home country, and "it's a small world" was supposed to be a showcase of foreign countries around the world.

But in the Paris version (and I believe the other versions around the world as well) there is a American scene.

But I do think there should have been a Small World Christmas in WDW, especially in 2003, when there was no Osborne Spectacle of Lights. :) :xmas:

mharrington

I believe that the Imagineers never installed American scenes in the WDW and Disneyland versions because the majority of guests were already familiar with their home country, and "it's a small world" was supposed to be a showcase of foreign countries around the world.

Then maybe they should never have added the American Adventure to Epcot!

mharrington

Don't yell at me. This is just the way it is.

Don't yell at me for being so negative! Who's the negative one now?

But seriously, a majority of guests of French and Japanese guests are familiar with their respective home countries, yet the Imagineers still installed scenes France and Japan in their respective Disney parks.

malice

Original Poster
Then maybe they should never have added the American Adventure to Epcot!

Don't yell at me for being so negative! Who's the negative one now?

i don't want to get in this, but you are the one who used the exclamation point, which some may read as yelling. darth used a period in his reply, which denotes regular speaking tone.

mharrington

i don't want to get in this, but you are the one who used the exclamation point, which some may read as yelling. darth used a period in his reply, which denotes regular speaking tone.

Well, I didn't mean to yell at anyone, I just thought that it was unfair. You understand, don't you?

DigitalDisney

The song will probably be sung in both English and Cantonese. Based on the video I saw of DLP's ISAW, I thought I heard both French and English in it.

As far as the characters go, if Walt wanted his Disney chars in IASW, he would have put them in there himself. However, HKDL also needs to add something that its visitors can relate to, because I have a feeling that the ride isn't as iconic over there as it is over here.

mharrington

The song will probably be sung in both English and Cantonese. Based on the video I saw of DLP's ISAW, I thought I heard both French and English in it.

As far as the characters go, if Walt wanted his Disney chars in IASW, he would have put them in there himself. However, HKDL also needs to add something that its visitors can relate to, because I have a feeling that the ride isn't as iconic over there as it is over here.

Well, I certainly hope that it's the case for the language. Also, what do you mean by "iconic"?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom