---
Jerry Wisdom's Gentle Glides
Appeal to the Squeamish;
Crying at Animal Kingdom
By Robert Johnson

06/08/2001
The Wall Street Journal
Page A1
(Copyright (c) 2001, Dow Jones & Company, Inc.)

MERINO, Colo. -- This year the meek are inheriting the amusement park, as little kids and scaredy-cats lash back against ever-more-awesome roller coasters.

That's good news for Jerry Wisdom. The 70-year-old former carnival owner runs Wisdom Amusement Rides, a leader in the burgeoning market for rides that don't terrify children. Instead of the 100-mile-per-hour World's Superman, he offers "Space Sled," which gently twirls 24 riders on airborne toboggans.

Just a third of visitors at big amusement parks ever ride the big roller coasters. But amusement parks have spent disproportionately big bucks to entice thrill-seekers, erecting 1,500 coasters world-wide over the past 20 years. The push culminated in last year's "Summer of Fear," when a record 120 new coasters opened for business, according to the British trade magazine Park World. Some cost as much as $20 million.

"I don't like thrill rides," says Carol Murray, a 64-year-old visitor at Tampa's Busch Gardens. Pushing her two-year-old granddaughter, Shannon, through the menacing shadow of "Montu," a 13-story metal coaster, Mrs. Murray adds: "I'd like to see more activities that we can have fun doing together."

This year, amusement parks are listening, adding gentler rides and other attractions that aren't at all hair-raising. Ride manufacturers expect installation of slower rides, costing $100,000 to $400,000 each, to be up 20% this year, to about 250.

Mr. Wisdom's company cranks out about one ride a week, at an average price of $150,000, from January to June. For the past two years, his 160 workers have been working at full throttle to keep up with orders. "The monster rides aren't our market," he says.

His company, based here on the edge of a cornfield, gets expert advice from the likes of J.J. Levy, five years old and the son of Ken Levy, an owner of Kids Star amusement park in Port Charlotte, Fla. J.J. got to try out dozens of new rides built by Wisdom Amusement and other manufacturers at a Tampa area trade show in February. His highest praise is reserved for rides that are "fun but won't make you puke."

Gayle Lemirise, an advertising executive in North Conway, N.H., wants her daughters, who are eight and four, to "know we're all one family. Not us over here and you over there." They frequently visit Story Land amusement park in nearby Glen, whose newest attraction is an interactive water-spraying submarine, called "Oceans of Fun," that park officials helped Wisdom Rides develop.

Mr. Wisdom's rides are tailored to little-kid sensibilities. No loud sound-effects, no explosions or thunder. No creaking or groaning noises to give the impression that the ride is about to collapse. No molded demonic gargoyles or monsters embellishing the action. No loops that take you upside down. Top speeds are between 10 mph and 15 mph.

Mr. Wisdom's favorite decoration: colored lights. At least 3,000 of them adorn many of his rides. "Nobody is afraid of a Christmas tree," he says.

It's a delightful alternative to the scary world of big amusement parks. "Every ride at Animal Kingdom made my kids cry," says Renee Petro, the mother of two young children from Port Charlotte, Fla., who visited the Walt Disney World resort in Orlando last December.

Even the safari ride, with guides who tell riders they'll be helping round up some evil poachers, had Ms. Petro's children in tears. "My kids really believed people with guns were hurting elephants and we would have to stop them," she says.

Easing onto a Wisdom-built "Flying Squadron" at Kids Star, Ms. Petro and her son Joey, who is five, jiggle a joy stick in their little plane -- painted with the name "Green Thunderbolt." Joey squealed happily as they navigate to an altitude of 20 feet at a controlled speed of 12 mph.

At Dutch Wonderland amusement park in Lancaster, Pa., a 1978 Wisdom "Astro Liner" still packs them in, with its pleasing side-to-side roll. "Great," says five-year-old Elliott Royce, emerging hand-in-hand with his dad, Mark, who adds: "And our knees aren't shaking." The 26-seat rocket looks realistic enough that police have stopped Mr. Wisdom's delivery trucks, he says, to make sure they weren't carrying stolen missiles.

Mr. Wisdom's lower-priced rides could be especially important this summer. With the economy shaky and tourist attendance at major theme parks in doubt, smaller attractions such as state fairs, piers and traveling carnivals expect to be popular with a constituency that was lured away by big coasters last summer. While coaster-rich Walt Disney World in Orlando was recently announcing hundreds of job cuts, attendance at the annual Florida State Fair -- where Mr. Wisdom's rides abound -- rose a healthy 15% from the 2000 event, to about 550,000.

Busch Gardens is adding rides and shows geared to kids and parents. It's the wimpy rides people call ahead about to make sure are running. "A roller coaster down for maintenance and we have others. It's no big deal," says Mike Patrick, vice president at Busch Gardens in Tampa. "But if our one and only train ride isn't working, you disappoint the little ones. Those are times I dread."

The Tampa park is opening "Rhino Rally," a slow trek in modified Land Rovers through an African habitat. That's a tame follow to "Drachen Fire," which opened at Busch's other park, in Williamsburg, Va., in 1992 with 355,000 pounds of thrust that made riders feel 3 1/2 times their actual weight.

Busch closed the big coaster in 1998. "It was too rough for some people," says Fred Bolingbroke, chief executive of Arrow Dynamics Inc., in Clearfield, Utah, the ride's builder. Now even Arrow, known for its $20 million coasters, is refocusing on smaller rides it sells for a tenth the price.

These rides won't attract teenagers. Jack Mahanny, a marketing supervisor at Story Land in New Hampshire, who has been working there since 1967, says, "We lose them at 12 to Six Flags and Universal. But we get them back later when they have kids."

my comments:

"coaster-rich walt disney world"? what are there, two or three coasters at the whole park?

if anything, disney is the better than anybody at producing rides that don't scare kids. true, many are scary and i can understand how the few actual rides at animal kingdom could make a kid cry.

methinks mrs. petro should have known which rides would scare her small children. but some parents are selfish and insist on forcing their kids into everything because they're spending a fortune at wdw.

i, for one, don't have much confidence in carnival rides and will continue to take my chances at wdw.

mickeyears

I'm afraid to go on Small World. HA!HA!HA!HA!

I think Disney has many quiet and tame rides for the children. My children love TOT, RnR, and Alien Encounter (except my younger with AE). Anyone who misses going to WDW because the rides are too terrifying for their children are just plain silly. (I was really thinking stupid):confused:

Disney Maniac

I have a four-year old brother who, after riding Kilimanjaro Safaris for the first time, turned to me and asked..."Can we do that AGAIN?!?"

Disney has all of, what? four coasters, and Goofy's BarnStormer is especially made for little kids! Disney has always been very good about making Guests aware of the restrictions that are placed on individual rides, so it really isn't the Parks fault if a stubborn mother takes her kids on rides that maybe they shouldn't be on.

All of this is just another case of an attempt by the media at defaming the Most Magical Place on Earth.

JBloom1029

WDW coaster rich? right i mean i love it but coaster rich no its certainly not. u want coaster rich u go to cedar point or six flags or IOA.

WDW-Imagineer

The purpose of WDW isn't big thrill rides & roller coasters, its family-oriented rides and attractions - especially ones that you learn something. Its a shame that WDW is turning more and more into a big thrills park with upside-down roller coasters. Now don't get me wrong, I love all of that stuff and most of the Disney thrill rides are done great, but WDW should stay with Walt's orginal plan.

Although I can understand WDW trying to keep up with Six Flags and all of those other thrill parks, but even without all of the thrill rides, WDW can beat them anyday. Sure WDW may lose the teenagers, but 10 years later - their back with their own family and kids.

Bottom Line: If you want thrills - go to Six Flags, IOA, etc. I do to satisfy my thrill addiction.

Big RED

Sad to SAy

Kilimanjaro Safari is not a scary ride. It is designed to get your excitement going. The Game spoter rallys his or her troops to save the little elephant before the poachers get there. After working the attraction during my time at AK my children were never affraid of losing me to Poachers. Most children look at saving little red as a heroric deed as if they were a superhero. The Safari is a wonderful attraction and that women is out of her mind.

The Mom

Premium Member
I think Disney does an excellent job of warning you about rides that could possibly frighten young children. My children were/are very good about communicating their wishes to me, and I have only cajoled them into going on a ride they didn't want to go on twice. My teenage daughter still hasn't forgiven me about talking her into the Jurassic park ride. (she was terrified; my then 7yo loved it)My 8 yo really didn't care for Space Mountain, but has been riding Splash and Big Thunder since he was tall enough. If my children really want to go on a ride, and I truly believe it will not frighten them, I let them ride. However, if a ride has warnings, and I know my children are timid about certain things (dark, loud noises, heights,etc.)I just don't do it. Fortunately, my husband & I like different types of rides, so the kids always have one parent or another to ride with.

The only thing that made me cry was reading that pathetic atempt at a viable newsworthy article. Animal Kingdom rides scary? The only one that I would consider scary is Dinosaur. And the roller coasters----where? Not in the Animal Kingdom---at least not yet. Hopefully soon though---it does need one major roller coaster. And as for the other parks, lets see there's none at EPCOT either, one at MGM, and one at the MK. I can see how this makes it roller coaster wealthy?!? :rolleyes: And Rhino Rally---being gentle, what was this story paid for by Busch Gardens and Mr. Wisdom? I think that the Wall St. Jo. needs to be told off and for good. Sorry, but if WDW ever, ever, ever takes on the slightest resemblance to a state or county fair---I'm out of there. Give me a break!

kevlightyear

I completely agree--WDW is nothing like county fairs or even like places like IOA or Six Flags. WDW was created as a place where families could go and enjoy themselves--together. It was designed so Mom and Dad as well as the little ones would all have something to do and have fun with. There are also plenty of signs and warnings in guide maps and throughout the queue area. Whether it has to do with scary noises or even getting wet--Disney wants you to be aware.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom