Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So illuminations is going for a complete redo sans sponsor? SSE now has n0 sponsor. I am thinking that Disney's version of Islands of Adventure is getting closer and closer!

Maybe it'll get a new sponsor.

Since many park goers refer to it as, "the golf ball", I wonder if some yahoo in the executive wing would pitch the idea to seek sponsorship from a golf company.
Maybe IllumiNations will get a sponsor.

Lora Baines Bradley

My response to this news that SSE may be closing...

Oh_look_i_ve_been_impaled.gif

I do imagine this would get backlash, even from those who mostly praise Disney for everything. I have a Disney-oriented social media page, and having to deal with all the non stop optimism can get to you. :confused: However, #SpaceshipEarthSunday is a huge thing on Instagram, with tons of shops making SSE inspired items. It just shows that people do love this ride, even so called "pixie dusters." We could very well have a fan war on our hands if SSE is redone/shuttered...:eek:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Oh_look_i_ve_been_impaled.gif

I do imagine this would get backlash, even from those who mostly praise Disney for everything. I have a Disney-oriented social media page, and having to deal with all the non stop optimism can get to you. :confused: However, #SpaceshipEarthSunday is a huge thing on Instagram, with tons of shops making SSE inspired items. It just shows that people do love this ride, even so called "pixie dusters." We could very well have a fan war on our hands if SSE is redone/shuttered...:eek:

Will not matter a bit to TDO as long as they can get their 'precious' Star Wars IP into EPCOT cheaply.

And Star Wars is to Iger what 'the precious' was to Gollum...

Otterhead

Spaceship Earth is still the marquee ride, or at least the centerpiece/weenie of Epcot. Refurbished, possibly, updated, maybe. Closed? No chance.
And Star Wars is to Iger what 'the precious' was to Gollum...
As well it should be. It's the most valuable and hotly-anticipated addition to WDW. I know many people who're putting off their Disney vacations until it opens. Star Wars is their Harry Potter, the new attraction that will get people flying in from all over the world just to see it. It's a massively valuable IP and while I understand there's people who aren't fans... for some odd reason.. it's huge for Disney.

ABQ

Well they are destroying the marquee ride at DHS, so what's to stop them from destroying Spaceship Earth?
The only reason I think that's not comparable is that DHS is completely moving away from their movie/tv history theme so gutting the GMR is, to them, acceptable. Epcot, well, who knows what the heck they are doing there, so anything is possible, though I'd hope unlikely. Short sighted foolishness had them destroy Horizons with little worry it wouldn't be forgotten.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do you think the Star Wars expansion will actually be into EPCOT ?? Star Wars taking over EoE, WOL, Mission Space, Test Track and Space Earth???

In best Yoda voice "Sick of Star Wars you will be"

Seriously how does TDO NOT turn SSE into the Death Star after Siemens sponsorship ends

EPCOT has already begun the transition into IPCOT
with SSE its just too easy just slap a dish on the side and replace some sets and you have your death star, Theme i guess would be recruits reporting for duty on the Death Star. Screens would give your id number and assignment

Heck perhaps thats why Siemens bailed because they were asked to underwrite a SW redo of SSE.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Spaceship Earth is still the marquee ride, or at least the centerpiece/weenie of Epcot. Refurbished, possibly, updated, maybe. Closed? No chance.

As well it should be. It's the most valuable and hotly-anticipated addition to WDW. I know many people who're putting off their Disney vacations until it opens. Star Wars is their Harry Potter, the new attraction that will get people flying in from all over the world just to see it. It's a massively valuable IP and while I understand there's people who aren't fans... for some odd reason.. it's huge for Disney.

Yet 'The Precious' destroyed Gollum in the end. Think on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom