Sick and leaving in two days!

fizzle75

We leave for nine glorious days at WDW on Thursday and I'm really bummed and frustrated because I developed a really bad head/chest cold over the weekend and I'm still feeling pretty bad today. The frustrating thing is that just last week I finished my third run of antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection that I have been battling since Christmas. As some of you may already know, I am struggling with some other health problems anyway besides having this lovely little set back so I'm really concerned that I'm gonna feel horrible the whole time I'm there.

SO...I need some cheering up folks, and maybe some tips on how to deal with this. Prayers would be awesome too.

Thanks!:wave:

edit-this probably should have been under Trip Planning.

smk

I have always had great luck with Zicam. It works wonders for me when I am sick. It kicks it out within a couple of days starting it.

I second that. I took Zicam several times this past winter (I am never sick but spent most of this past season sick), I was trying to avoid passing anything off to my DH who had a major surgery last fall and is still recovering. It works, I can tell you that.

Upvote 0

jtced

I hate that you are on your third round of ABX. Did your doctor give you any steriods do you know? Sometimes this helps with the inflammation you may have associated with your other symptoms. (some medicial conditions don't mix with steriods though) I would schedule another appointment to see your doctor before you leave or atleast call and tell them that you will be going out of town and would he prescribe something for you if needed if you called. (He may or maynot do this, if not bring a list of any medications that you currently take and a list of any medicine allergies with you incase you need to go to an Urgent Care)

You could also try a humidifier when you sleep or see if you can have some water added with your CPAP. As far as a "shot in the hip" if it's viral it's not worth getting the ABX that isn't going to treat it.

I hope you get better before you go, push the fluids, LOTS of sleep, keep the Vitamin C going and try to enjoy yourself when you are there.

Upvote 0

rlaeromech

We leave for nine glorious days at WDW on Thursday and I'm really bummed and frustrated because I developed a really bad head/chest cold over the weekend and I'm still feeling pretty bad today. The frustrating thing is that just last week I finished my third run of antibiotics for a nasty sinus infection that I have been battling since Christmas. As some of you may already know, I am struggling with some other health problems anyway besides having this lovely little set back so I'm really concerned that I'm gonna feel horrible the whole time I'm there.

SO...I need some cheering up folks, and maybe some tips on how to deal with this. Prayers would be awesome too.

MAN! My biggest fear is getting sick WHILE at WDW. You've taken care of that!. YOUR sick NOW! Meaning by the time you go, you should be getting better and on your way up meaning that the chances of you getting sick while there are LESS.

I have no science to back that up.. just trying to cheer you up!

P.S. Prayer works.. God knows we all need a vacation, so ask him for health on yours.

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
A co-worker just went through a similar predicament. He wound up developing an infection in the cartilage behind his sternum. It took a night in the hospital and IV antibiotics to clear it but it cleared almost overnight once he got the IV antibiotics. If you have chest pain and have been through 3 rounds of z-packs and are taking Mucinex with no relief it might be time to get a little more aggressive in your treatment. Have you had any x-rays taken of your chest to rule out pneumonia or something similar?

Yes I have and everything looked fine. My wife runs the lab in our local medical center about a mile from our house and that's one of the first things they checked because I was also having some really bad chest pains. My chest congestion isn't as bad as it was a few weeks ago when I was battling the sinus infection and had actually gotten totally better until this past weekend.

Mucinex really seems to work wonders on my chest congestion. I am developing a bad cough but my chest isn't as tight as it was and my chest is "rattling" quite a bit which means the congestion is loosening.

Thanks for the advice though Master Yoda!:wave:

Due to some other health problems I have I tend to stay in my Dr.'s office quite a bit, so most of the bases have been covered. Since my wife's boss is also my Dr. I can usually just send him a note by my wife and he'll communicate back to me through her. He is very familiar with my medical history and all of the other thing's I've got going on so he's the only Dr. I will go to. Unfortunately, he's out of the office today or I would see if he could work me in.

Upvote 0

gleason406

I'm going to share my home remedy with you.....Get your tea kettle fill with water and about 4-5 tea bags add about half a cup of brandy and boil till it whistles....pour yourself a big glass bundle up and go to bed.....

For some reason or another this concoction always helps us get over our sickness!

Upvote 0

danpam1024

I hate to hear this.:( Go back to the doctor and get a big fat shot in the hip and a Z-pack. You'll be better in no time.

Have a great trip!!:wave:

Stubborn sinus infections need 14 days of Levaquin! A Z pak just won't do:lol: Maybe the warm, humid FL air will do ya some good, oooh and some pixie dust! I hope you feel better and have a magical vacation!!!

Upvote 0

GenerationX

My CPAP has a built-in humidifier because I have allergies. If your CPAP doesn't, you should see if you can get one that does. It makes a huge difference when you have sinus issues.

Get better and have fun! :wave:

Upvote 0

mickeymaniacs

I know this is going to sound really crazy but coat the bottom of your feet with vicks vapor rub and put on white socks. It sounds crazy but it does work for some people. It feels kinda funky but after awhile you can feel it being drawn in. It is an old remedy but I tried it after I had been sick for 5 weeks with the same stuff... mine got so bad it backed up into my ears. It worked for me I really hope it works for you. I'm also sending prayers your way! Have a great trip.:wave:

Upvote 0

maryszhi

me to..sick
i have bad sinus probs and had two days at disney in bed. (im still on and of , been that way since feb.)may i suggest zertex ( SP?) musenex(SP) or go to the doctor and get a perscription from a doctor if u think u need it. make sure u ask for something non drosy or ull end up like me: sleepy and unable to do any of the parks
i hope u feel better

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
My CPAP has a built-in humidifier because I have allergies. If your CPAP doesn't, you should see if you can get one that does. It makes a huge difference when you have sinus issues.

Get better and have fun! :wave:

I already use a humidified Cpap, thanks for the tip though!:wave:

Upvote 0

SeaBreeze

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon! I was taken down for about 4 weeks starting in January from what I called Cold 666. Everyone else I knew got over it in a week or two but I wound up getting walking pneumonia so it was fun times for me. I have digestive issues so I couldn't go on a ton of ABX without getting ridiculously sick so here's what I eventually wound up doing and it really helped:

-humidifier! Listen to those on here that suggested it; it worked absolute wonders for me. Once i got one, I was actually able to sleep through the night somewhat, instead of waking up every 20 minutes to cough up a lung. That definitely helped get my strength back, which I desperately needed
-the vapor rub also helped. I'm not sure how... or why... but it did lol. Can't hurt, right?

Otherwise, everything I can think of has been mentioned. Lots of fluids, lots and lots of sleep and rest in general. I hope your wife stays healthy!

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

My family just got over the 2 week flu it was gross.

I have been in WDW and been sick, but the humidity actually helped drain my head.

Also take some Mucinex if you can, it helped me a lot with my cough.

Drink lots of fluids and try your best to enjoy!!!

I hope you feel better! Lots of prayers being sent your way!!! Good luck :)

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Original Poster
Thanks to everybody for all of the great tips(yes, even the vapor rub tip:lookaroun) and most of all thanks for the prayers.

I'm feeling a teeny tiny bit better today but I went to the Doctor anyway. He basically said that any treatment he could prescribe for my cold(or whatever it is)would aggravate my throat infection(thrush) so I'm better off just dealing with it. My doctor put me on Diflucan to knock out the infection in my mouth/throat, I really hope it helps because my tongue is still burning from the infection and it has zapped my taste buds as well which is a major downer because I'm soooo looking forward to all of the amazing food at WDW.:cry:

Upvote 0

pacochran

I hope your feeling better for your trip. To me though sick in Disney is better than a good day at work!

The stuff for your throat should work by the time you are down there. My mother just had thrush in the mouth and even up into her nose, and she said that her mouth felt better after a couple of days using the medicine.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

I have been to Hawaii sick and we still had fun. Made me slow down a bit, but still fun. Pop meds, non-drowsy, whenever you can. Get good rest at night, too so you are more alert during the day and get better quicker.

Feel better and good luck!:)

Upvote 0

imamouse

Thanks to everybody for all of the great tips(yes, even the vapor rub tip:lookaroun) and most of all thanks for the prayers.

I'm feeling a teeny tiny bit better today but I went to the Doctor anyway. He basically said that any treatment he could prescribe for my cold(or whatever it is)would aggravate my throat infection(thrush) so I'm better off just dealing with it. My doctor put me on Diflucan to knock out the infection in my mouth/throat, I really hope it helps because my tongue is still burning from the infection and it has zapped my taste buds as well which is a major downer because I'm soooo looking forward to all of the amazing food at WDW.:cry:

Good luck with the meds and the magic at WDW. I was feeling better, but spiked a fever again last night. Not too peppy today, but I'm getting on a plane for WDW Friday morning regardless. Hope to see you there and I hope that you get unsick quick :).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom