Should Tokyo Disneyland redesign Cinderella Castle?

Should Tokyo Disneyland redesign Cinderella Castle

• Yes, Tokyo should follow Hong Kong's lead and redesign Cinderella Castle to be more unique.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • No, Tokyo should leave Cinderella Castle alone. It's perfectly fine as is.

Votes: 29 78.4%

• Total voters

WinnieBear

Original Poster
So as we all know, Hong Kong Disneyland used to have an exact replica of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty castle back when it first opened.
hkcastle_frontview2010ccfh.jpg

However, a few years ago, they would do something that remains unprecedented so far in Disney's history, in that they basically redesigned it. Giving us the Castle of Magical Dreams in its place.
20201019_Castle_of_Magical_Dreams.jpg

So, as it stands, most of Disney's parks all have unique castles that fit with the culture of their parks. Disneyland has Sleeping Beauty Castle, Walt Disney World has Cinderella Castle, Disneyland Paris has Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant, Hong Kong Disneyland now has The Castle of Magical Dreams and Shanghai Disneyland has Storybook Castle.

However, there is one exception to the rule, that being, Tokyo Disneyland, which is currently the only park to have an exact replica of a pre-existing Disney castle, that being Cinderella Castle.
3016_03.jpg

And given that every park now has their own unique castle exclusive to that park, Tokyo's castle is now in a weird spot for being the only "copycat castle" amongst the bunch. Which leads me to ask the question.

Should Tokyo Disneyland follow Hong Kong's lead and redesign their castle?

Now this might seem like a huge undergoing (and it would be), but it would help make the castle stand out and further give Tokyo Disneyland its own unique identity like the other Disney parks (plus, it would be neat to see every Disney park have their own unique castle). That said, there is a counterargument to be had, in that the castle has been standing for 40 years and is so well known and iconic now that changing it would be seen as hearsy, it'll be like if Disney went back to sleeping beauty and decide to change it out of nowhere. Besides, why fix it if it ain't broke? While Hong Kong Disneyland can get away with it because it's a more recent park that needed fixing, Tokyo Disneyland is an very well established and perfectly fine park that is nearly 40 years old, with Cinderella Castle being a icon, what benefit would there be for Disney and Oriental Land to change what is now an icon? If anything, being the sole copycat castle makes it ironically stand out in its own way since its now the only one of its kind...

But what do you think? Should Tokyo follow HK's lead and redo their castle, or just keep it the way it is.

Last edited:

brb1006

Knowing how vocal Japanese vocals were about the change of Mickey and Minnie's heads a few years back (they eventually got used to it). I say, keep the castle as it is.

Kirby86

Cinderellas Castle looks fine. Also Tokyo has a lot on their plates currently refurbing the Castle should be low on their priority list.1

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
I think there's almost zero chance of them ever pulling a Hong Kong with Cinderella Castle, it's too iconic and beloved by the Japanese public in the same way Americans adore it at Walt Disney World. And really who cares if they're the same, after 40 years Cinderella Castle belongs just as much to Tokyo Disneyland as it does to Walt Disney World.

Robbiem

I think the castle is fine as it is. If Tokyo did change anything then I think fantasyland and parts of tomorrowland could do with updates to bring them up the level of the rest of the park and Disneysea

cheezbat

This has always bothered me…and bothered me even more so after Hong Kong changed theirs. Maybe Magic Kingdom should spend some money on making theirs different instead….and I’m not just talking paint job.

cheezbat

No Magic Kingdom is the original castle Tokyo just copied WDW
I know it is…but what I’m saying is that if Tokyo doesn’t want to change theirs, why not change MKs? They could make it taller and they could tout being the ‘biggest’ castle or something like that.

J4546

I'd be down with a new castle, especially if it had a unique Japanese style to it. Give the park it own identity. But Japan has so many things happening now, castle redo isn't on their agenda I'm sure. Also i want disney to make a Japanese princess movie, and put her in the park

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I know it is…but what I’m saying is that if Tokyo doesn’t want to change theirs, why not change MKs? They could make it taller and they could tout being the ‘biggest’ castle or something like that.
Neither resort is going to spend the money change either of their castles but if one were to do so it would be Tokyo, we know they’re not adverse from spending large amounts of money to redo existing areas of their parks their version of new fantasyland for example, I mean in the original concept art for their fantasyland expansion it show them moving Small World

lazyboy97o

Neither resort is going to spend the money change either of their castles but if one were to do so it would be Tokyo, we know they’re not adverse from spending large amounts of money to redo existing areas of their parks their version of new fantasyland for example, I mean in the original concept art for their fantasyland expansion it show them moving Small World
The plan to relocate "it's a small world" was due to major issues with the building, not just a desire to redo something. Instead the attraction had an extended closure during which the existing facility underwent repairs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom