Should I book now or wait?

Gravydeen

Planning a trip in June. I would normally book now and when any discounts come out they would adjust my cost for those discounts. When I called Disney last week they told me that will not work. She advised me to wait till January when the discounts normally come. Has something changed or is that just what they are told to say? I would think I am better off to book and cancel and re-book if discounts come out if I had to.

LeighM

I would book now so you can guarantee the room you want. If a discount comes out later, you can make the change yourself on your online account. That's typically faster than calling and speaking to a customer service rep. The room you have may not be eligible for the offer though. That's what happened with us at Riverside but I kept checking back often and finally got the room I wanted with the discount offered :)

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Disney policy at least was to only give you the exact numbers you asked for. So if there was a discount available, but you didn't ask to apply it, they wouldn't offer it up. Technically what she told you is correct, they don't adjust your cost for the discount. They make a new booking on your behalf at the new price. Which is why if nothing is available, you can't get the new price.

Do you need to book now? Depends on how specific you need/want to be on your reservation. If you need to have the Honeymoon Suite at AKL on NYE, then yeah, you would want to be booking that at 495 days out. If you are only concerned with staying at a value resort for a week in June, not as necessary to early book. And booking early can actually harm your chances of getting a discount. They release discounts based on occupancy levels, and your booking might be the one to push them to the point where they are happy with levels and don't offer a discount.

Upvote 0

Gravydeen

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. We are trying to decide between 2 value resort rooms or Port Orleans Riverside. We have a family of five but are really getting too big for the room at Riverside. We just hate to give up the moderate resort perks. So we are trying to decide to squeeze in to a moderate or have the space in the value. The Disney rep agreed with you that we would not have a problem getting the value room for June if we waited another month. I don't know about Riverside.

Upvote 0

Gravydeen

Original Poster
So I waited until the discounts came out today and called this morning. No discounts are available at POR. Apparently all the discounted rooms were taken before I called I guess. This time the man on the phone tells me to keep checking back and if any discounts open up they can apply them(Maybe he means cancel and rebook). That's not what they told me a few weeks ago or the way I understood it from above. I guess I can keep calling back every few days.

Upvote 0

LeighM

So I waited until the discounts came out today and called this morning. No discounts are available at POR. Apparently all the discounted rooms were taken before I called I guess. This time the man on the phone tells me to keep checking back and if any discounts open up they can apply them(Maybe he means cancel and rebook). That's not what they told me a few weeks ago or the way I understood it from above. I guess I can keep calling back every few days.

It's definitely better to apply the discounts yourself using My Disney Experience. They are typically released late at night/early morning Eastern time so if you wait until morning to call, you'll typically miss out on a resort like Riverside. That is what happened to me last year at Riverside. If you don't know where to look on your online account, I would become familiar with it now. You can see what other rooms and discounts are available as well. Just go to your reservation and somewhere is a modify button and you should see the discounts. It's been a while so I'm a little fuzzy on the details. It's a lot faster than calling and you can see for yourself what's available at that exact moment. There's no need to cancel and rebook. It will be applied to your current reservation. You'll get a credit if one is due or you'll pay extra if you want to upgrade your room to get a better discount.

Upvote 0

MySmallWorldof4

In the My Disney Experience when you look up your reservations and click on it you will see "Change Reservation" or "cancel reservation". If you hit the change you will see what discounts are offered. As stated earlier you can change it yourself. I have done this many times.

Upvote 0

Philsphan25

In the My Disney Experience when you look up your reservations and click on it you will see "Change Reservation" or "cancel reservation". If you hit the change you will see what discounts are offered. As stated earlier you can change it yourself. I have done this many times.

Do you know when you lose the ability to "change reservation"? I go the beginning of February and haven't been able to use that link since at least the end of October, I click it and it tells me I need to call. I was able to use it the day the "Gift of Magic" Offer came (I believe, beginning of October) out because I was able to use it to change my reservation but get that prompt since.

I don't need to change my reservation, just curious.

Upvote 0

LeighM

Do you know when you lose the ability to "change reservation"? I go the beginning of February and haven't been able to use that link since at least the end of October, I click it and it tells me I need to call. I was able to use it the day the "Gift of Magic" Offer came (I believe, beginning of October) out because I was able to use it to change my reservation but get that prompt since.

I don't need to change my reservation, just curious.

If you book a bounce back offer, then you are limited in what you can modify yourself online. For that you will still need to call. But I was still able to change resorts with the free dining promo attached to the package...at least it was possible several months ago. Sometimes they will have issues with their website and it will show that you can't make changes yourself but if you refresh or check back later you can. At least I've always been able to.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If you book a bounce back offer, then you are limited in what you can modify yourself online. For that you will still need to call. But I was still able to change resorts with the free dining promo attached to the package...at least it was possible several months ago. Sometimes they will have issues with their website and it will show that you can't make changes yourself but if you refresh or check back later you can. At least I've always been able to.
You are right about bounce back offers ~ you cannot change them online. The only online option is cancel.
The same is true for reservations booked by a TA ~ you cannot change or cancel those online.

Upvote 0

Philsphan25

I booked mine as a hotel only. I'm still able to change mine. Maybe the type of reservation you have prevents you from doing any online changes.
My is a room only (I have an AP) that I booked myself. I just found it strange that I had it one day and then got it taken away the next. I have never run into it before and has been like that for months.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just FYI...already having a room booked does absolutely nothing to increase your chances of being able to re-book that same room at a discount. If anything, it ever so lightly reduces the chance that a promotion will be offered for that room.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom