Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, con’t

As we had done on Wednesday, dinner ended up being heavy apps in the lounge. Mom and my brothers joined our table. My bros stayed for around a half hour before heading to Epcot to ride Guardians. They said their goodbyes to JBS, who had a very early morning flight and were staying in for the evening.

The four of us remained in the lounge and visited. Having a place to hang out - with food and beverages no less - made the additional cost of club level worth it for this special trip. We hung around until desserts were out and helped ourselves to a few extra chocolate chip cookies to take home.

“That’s what the bags are for!” I explained to JB as he gave me and S the side-eye for filling them with cookies. (Technically the bags were next to the loose candy, but there was no reason they couldn’t also be used for cookies!)

Big goodbye hugs all around as we retreated to our rooms. Mom had said earlier that she wanted to go back to Epcot for fireworks, but changed her mind once we were in the room. I was fine with that decision.

I heard some commotion outside and stepped onto the balcony. To my delight there was a magician entertaining guests. It was wonderful to see live entertainment on the boardwalk again!

As I turned to go inside, I saw another surprise across Crescent Lake.

IMG_2555.jpeg

I called to Mom and told her to come out.

“We can watch fireworks after all!” I said with glee, pointing across the lake.

IMG_2554.jpeg

We had our Happily Ever After!

IMG_2551.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, February 3

Departure day is always sad.

Typically I drive to WDW and leave the property before the sun rises. It’s always a “rip the bandaid off” moment but one I appreciate when arriving home early afternoon, having avoided the worst of the traffic.

Flying is a different ballgame. I usually have an afternoon or evening flight out of MCO, allowing for some bonus Disney hours. I’ve found it lessens departure depression.

However today’s flight was at noon, meaning bonus time consisted only of a non-hurried breakfast in the lounge (following the 7:45 am scooter return at the Boardwalk entrance.) I helped myself to the buffet while waiting for Mom to join me.

IMG_2569.jpeg

The two of us had a nice chat with the CM who answered our inquiry about Mickey bars!

Mom picked up a few Dove Sea Salt Caramels on our way out of the lounge. We packed up our last-minute items before stepping onto the balcony for the last time.

The work on the boardwalk when we’d arrived had been completed. Quite a few more tables had been added.

IMG_2573.jpeg

IMG_2574.jpeg

How did Mom feel about leaving this million dollar view?

IMG_2576.jpeg

(Yeah, me too!)

She wanted to Uber to the airport. We’d had such a pleasant Uber experience on arrival day that it never occurred to us that the ride back to MCO might not be.

Enter Pedro, our non-English speaking driver in a well-worn (but safe) car. He smiled at us when loading our bags and kindly asked (via pointing) if it was okay to leave the music on. It was an easy listening station on low volume so I nodded yes.

We had barely left Boardwalk when the whistling started.

Not a mechanical whistling. Pedro was whistling. A high-pitched, loud whistling. And he continued to whistle the entire 30+ minute commute (he’d chosen the longer route with less tolls).

Early on, Mom had leaned over to me and asked, “Is there a bird in here?” Her hearing aids pick up many ambient sounds and she was confused as to why she was hearing chirping. Trying to stifle a laugh (I was doing all that I could not to embarrass Pedro) I pointed to the driver and mouthed, he’s whistling.

I’d like to say that things got better once we got to the airport. But they didn’t. The posted wait to get through security was 25-30 minutes. That was a lie. We stood in the same spot without moving for over 25 minutes while still remaining several folks away from seeing the first TSA agent.

Our total wait was 55 minutes. Needless to say we didn’t get the extra time at the gate we’d planned. There was a surprise at the gate for us though. BC and BT had early morning flights. BC’s plane had departed. BT’s flight had been delayed three times before he changed to our flight, which was scheduled to land before his thrice-delayed flight.

I’d like to say things got better once we were onboard. But they didn’t. Our plane taxied to the runway and was about to depart when the pilot noticed that a sensor light was on. He said we had to return to the terminal for a maintenance check. Forty minutes later - with proper paperwork filed for the false alarm - we taxied back to the runway.

I’d like to say things got better after we landed in Atlanta. But they didn’t. Woody was delayed in awful traffic - the same traffic we’d be stuck in on the way home.

The story has a happy ending. We did arrive safely (albeit exhausted) to our respective homes. And we have wonderful memories to share!

IMG_2577.jpeg

Final thoughts to come.

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday, February 3

Departure day is always sad.

Typically I drive to WDW and leave the property before the sun rises. It’s always a “rip the bandaid off” moment but one I appreciate when arriving home early afternoon, having avoided the worst of the traffic.

Flying is a different ballgame. I usually have an afternoon or evening flight out of MCO, allowing for some bonus Disney hours. I’ve found it lessens departure depression.

However today’s flight was at noon, meaning bonus time consisted only of a non-hurried breakfast in the lounge (following the 7:45 am scooter return at the Boardwalk entrance.) I helped myself to the buffet while waiting for Mom to join me.

View attachment 773448

The two of us had a nice chat with the CM who answered our inquiry about Mickey bars!

Mom picked up a few Dove Sea Salt Caramels on our way out of the lounge. We packed up our last-minute items before stepping onto the balcony for the last time.

The work on the boardwalk when we’d arrived had been completed. Quite a few more tables had been added.

View attachment 773447

View attachment 773446

How did Mom feel about leaving this million dollar view?

View attachment 773445
(Yeah, me too!)

She wanted to Uber to the airport. We’d had such a pleasant Uber experience on arrival day that it never occurred to us that the ride back to MCO might not be.

Enter Pedro, our non-English speaking driver in a well-worn (but safe) car. He smiled at us when loading our bags and kindly asked (via pointing) if it was okay to leave the music on. It was an easy listening station on low volume so I nodded yes.

We had barely left Boardwalk when the whistling started.

Not a mechanical whistling. Pedro was whistling. A high-pitched, loud whistling. And he continued to whistle the entire 30+ minute commute (he’d chosen the longer route with less tolls).

Early on, Mom had leaned over to me and asked, “Is there a bird in here?” Her hearing aids pick up many ambient sounds and she was confused as to why she was hearing chirping. Trying to stifle a laugh (I was doing all that I could not to embarrass Pedro) I pointed to the driver and mouthed, he’s whistling.

I’d like to say that things got better once we got to the airport. But they didn’t. The posted wait to get through security was 25-30 minutes. That was a lie. We stood in the same spot without moving for over 25 minutes while still remaining several folks away from seeing the first TSA agent.

Our total wait was 55 minutes. Needless to say we didn’t get the extra time at the gate we’d planned. There was a surprise at the gate for us though. BC and BT had early morning flights. BC’s plane had departed. BT’s flight had been delayed three times before he changed to our flight, which was scheduled to land before his thrice-delayed flight.

I’d like to say things got better once we were onboard. But they didn’t. Our plane taxied to the runway and was about to depart when the pilot noticed that a sensor light was on. He said we had to return to the terminal for a maintenance check. Forty minutes later - with proper paperwork filed for the false alarm - we taxied back to the runway.

I’d like to say things got better after we landed in Atlanta. But they didn’t. Woody was delayed in awful traffic - the same traffic we’d be stuck in on the way home.

The story has a happy ending. We did arrive safely (albeit exhausted) to our respective homes. And we have wonderful memories to share!

View attachment 773444

Final thoughts to come.
The 😍is for the time you had with your family.
A 👎for all that mess that day.
Thank you for sharing another great trip. ❤️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom