Share a personal memory?

Florida_is_hot

Original Poster
Would you like to share a WDW memory?

Here is mine.

I went to WDW with my Mom, her back was bothering her so she decided to stay in her room at the Grand Floridian. Well I said to myself in 4 days I will be home, I am going the the Magic Kingdom even if I go myself (times wasting). She told me she felt guilty took a pain killer and meet me at the Tiki Room. We had a blast we spent the next few days like a couple kids singing songs like "Lets all sing like the birdies sing".

She was 50 and I was about 35 and we did not care.

Well my Mom died since then and I go to the Tiki Room .... not the same show as we seen years ago but better than "New Management". I can not help but thinking of the that night years ago, us two kids having the time of our life...... try and tell me there is no "Magic", in the Magic Kingdom.

bubbles1812

I had my 10th birthday at WDW. My family (Dad, Mom, two brothers) went out to Epcot in the morning. I got a cake for breakfast. And a cake at lunch. And Chip and Dale "sang" Happy Birthday to me. It was wonderful but not what made the day special...

My dad took just me out to the park of my choice for the afternoon/night. I had never been at a park without the whole family. Dad let me pick whichever ride I wanted. I can't even remember where we ate the evening meal, but I remember getting another cake. We were silly together and got fun pics with the characters. And we ended the night with dad letting me get a caricature drawing (was me on a unicorn... I was going thru a phase ;)) and the fireworks. My memory of standing watching them with Dad's arm around me is crystal clear in my head. Since then, "life" has happened, and Dad's love of Disney has waned so it is a really special memory I have of that day we had just the two of us.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We were back in the Toon area, in the big tent, the show with Roger Rabbit. My DS then 4 was in his Teenage Mutant Turtle Coat and a Turtle Outfit (MGM had Turtles at that time too). They were looking for a kid to go on stage with Roger and no one would go up. My DS, 4 and much younger than their other declined inventations stood up unexpectedly and said I want to go on stage in a voice that was heard. They looked to me for approval and off he went up with Roger. He had a blast. He was given a Roger Hat that had a mini plush of Roger attached and Roger's TShirt, which was larger than those huge ladies T shirt nighties and some other things.
He proudly wore that Roger Hat that was also big all day. Guests would stop us and ask where we bought it.
DS would answer so proudly, you have to be picked to go on stage and I was. Still have the hat, still have the TShirt. Good times in Toon.

real mad hatter

Wow! So many memories in my 5 trips since 2004..On our second trip,one brought me to tears.It was in 2008,our first 14 day on site vacation,we had done two 7 day on and 7 day off in our first two trips,anyway on our last night after Wishes was just finishing.My DW and myself were walking down Main Street holding our DS hand.He just stopped,looked up at us both,and out of the blue said " Thanks Mum & Dad,that was the best holiday ever." I just looked at my wife,saw her starting to cry,and that got me going as well.Excuse me while I wipe away a tear as I type this..Who started this thread.:mad: LOL..

Nemo14

We were back in the Toon area, in the big tent, the show with Roger Rabbit. My DS then 4 was in his Teenage Mutant Turtle Coat and a Turtle Outfit (MGM had Turtles at that time too). They were looking for a kid to go on stage with Roger and no one would go up. My DS, 4 and much younger than their other declined inventations stood up unexpectedly and said I want to go on stage in a voice that was heard. They looked to me for approval and off he went up with Roger. He had a blast. He was given a Roger Hat that had a mini plush of Roger attached and Roger's TShirt, which was larger than those huge ladies T shirt nighties and some other things.
He proudly wore that Roger Hat that was also big all day. Guests would stop us and ask where we bought it.
DS would answer so proudly, you have to be picked to go on stage and I was. Still have the hat, still have the TShirt. Good times in Toon.

We had a very similar experience there. My son was almost 3 and didn't always do well with shows, so I chose to sit way over on the end near the exit door with him in case we had to leave in a hurry. I saw the CM looking our way and sure enough, she came over and took him up on stage. He had to throw some beanbags into some cutout thing if I remember correctly and got the hat and oversize shirt. I had to remove Roger from the hat for him because it made it too heavy to stay on his head, and he wore the shirt for a nightshirt a couple of times, but I remember it being HUGE.

zurgandfriend

Much like Hatter's we were standing on the roof of the Contemporary watching "Wishes" after celebrating my DS birthday at the California grill and he said "Thanks dad this was the best birthday ever." Of course being totally humiliated at Whispering Canyon the morning of my DW's birthday comes a close second.

whitney37354

DD was five & this trip fell on her birthday week. She was having a Little Mermaid party when we returned home. We had breakfast at CRT on our first full day at WDW. When the princesses starting coming into the room, DD yelled, "Hi, Ariel!" When Ariel came to our table, she knelt down & she & DD had a full on conversation about DD's birthday party & Flounder, etc. Belle did the same thing. DH & I were both almost in tears. We have pictures & video & we still tear up watching the video. We are going for our second WDW trip this October & DD is now eight. The trip will be different, but I'm hoping for a little Disney magic this time too!

luv

Disney was the first place my son ever smiled after the braces were on. While we were there, he forgot that he wasn't going to smile any more.

My mom loved Disney. The barbershop quartet allowed her to pick a song and stood right in front of her, singing Lida Rose. She smiled big through the whole thing and told everyone about it for years. It was one of the best moments of her life, lol. I'm glad we got to go together.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My dad went for a run around our resort one morning. Came back to the room and passed out. I mean like standing up, falling flat on his back and hitting his head on the wall. Still made it to the parks that day :cool:

Dear Lord, that is so scary. My DH did that the year AK opened. June and they had very few buildings with A/C 'cause as management said to guests, there isn't A/C in the Jungle. :mad: Well my DH turned white, passed out, had heat stroke. So ill. Had a golf reservation the next morning, went anyhow. o_O

Bparso87

Man there r so many I can't pick one. Every pictures has something special to my family. But my favorite might be my sons 5 birthday it was EMH at MK and my wife and daughter left bc it was late. We stayed till it closed at 1am and got to ride almost every ride by ourself then walking down Main Street with him almost knocked out saying I had so much fun with you.

Marc Gil

Awww, I loved your story! There are just too many good memories that were made at the Magic Kingdom. One thing that I'll never forget was entering the park early for my Keys to the Kingdom Tour. There wasn't a soul in sight! It was like having the park to yourself! I remember just walking up and down Main Street just taking in all the sights and smells. It was a great experience.

6laurac

May was our not quite 3 daughter's first trip to the Disney. She was quite scared of seeing Mary Poppins who was our first face character but when we saw Pluto and Marie standing in the center of Main St. she was so excited she didn't fuss in line. Marie took her Pluto dog she had with her and pretended that he was a smelly dog holding him by his tail and waving him around and holding her nose until Pluto came over and took him away from her. She was so enthralled watching them at the time do their skit, I didn't think she quite knew what they were doing but when we left she kept pointing back to Marie Kitty saying "Stinky Dog" and holding her nose like Marie. The rest of the trip she would hold him by the tail and say Stinky dog. Just yesterday, when I picked her up from preschool she said Marie Kitty said Pluto was a stinky dog. That's how you know they will remember going to Disney.

That and we stood in line to see Duffy bear 6 times....yes we have a Duffy bear at home now.

cynic710

in what would be the final time i visited the park as a "complete" family (parents divorced a few years after the trip) i remember going to disney village during the Christmas season and buying a clear donald face shaped candy container with runts or something in them. i brought it home on the plane, set it up on my shelf in my room and didnt eat the candy at all for about 5 years. something about maintaining its contents kept me on that trip a little longer and to this day (was 8 at the time, now 29) i cant eat runts without thinking about that container or that trip.

weird i know, but its my little memory :)

jw24

These posts moved me. I mean, I know I've said that I'd rather go to WDW by myself for the rest of my life rather than dealing with my anti-Disney, dysfunctional family or anyone else, for that matter, and deal with their baggage and I've loved to forget a certain WDW trip when I was 11. But in spite of that, if I had to pick good apples out of the sour bunch of memories for that trip, I recall my entire family riding Tomorrowland Speedway and for me, that was my first experience getting to actually drive all by myself, at least what I remember. But I recall we seemed to enjoy ourselves when all was said and done. Later that night, we all saw the fireworks on Main Street USA (This was before Wishes, btw.) and that was the stuff dreams are made of. I've had more favorable Disney memories that are more personal since then but I guess family memories are something you can't take for granted.

Sped2424

My memory isn't at magic kingdom so I don't know if this counts, but it happened over at Hollywood studios back when it was MGM. The day started out with the Aladdin parade which at the time I thought was just Aladdin making a visit at MGM so it blew my mind considering it looked like it was straight out the film. Then me and my family made our way to the great movie ride and I thought we were at a Chinese temple. That park holds a big place in my heart especially the little mermaid show, every time we went me and my grandmother always made sure to go on and I would always hide under her arm when Ursula would take over and the theater started to rain. And to put the cherry on the top seeing the lights at the end of the day with my dad holding me up on his shoulders, if im not wrong didn't they used to decorate the golden girls house with lights during Christmas? I think I vaguely remember seeing houses light up as well as the city there. Either way whenever I go, I get super nostalgic about that whole park and knowing that the lights are coming to an end really sucks because one day I wanna be able to take my kids there and think of my dad when he used to do the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom