Seven Seas Lagoon History Help

The Empress Lilly

Looking at the first Google Earth picture and then at the second where the hump seams to disappear, it looks like the water levels were a couple feet different. That probably explains why the hump appears to be sinking.
I believe half of the 'Atlantis hump' was just a bit of white sandy beach, not really solid ground that had been prepared to be build upon.

Subsequently simply washed away by the water until it had eroded to below water level?

$T2eC16R,!)UE9s3wCMf2BQrRohowyQ~~60_57.JPG

Disvillain63

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_attractions_that_were_never_built
Resorts

Walt Disney World, Florida

NameDescriptionReference
Disney's Asian Resort To be located where Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa is today. [10]
Disney's Venetian Resort To be located between the Contemporary Resort and the Transportation and Ticket Center. [11]
Disney's Persian Resort To be located on Bay Lake north of the Contemporary Resort. [12]
Disney's Mediterranean Resort A Greek themed resort to be located on the Seven Seas Lagoon. [13]
Disney's Pop Century Resort: The Legendary Years A second half of the Disney's Pop Century Resort began to be constructed but was delayed several years due to lack of interest and the reduction in tourism after the September 11 attacks. Disney's Art of Animation Resort was eventually built in its place, and opened in 2012. [14]

Goofyernmost

View attachment 28750

Looking for a little help from the Disney-philes on the forum. The above picture is obviously from the construction of WDW. In the background is the Poly under construction. Here is my questions, though-

What is the large rectangular out-cropping in the foreground? Is this where one of the unbuilt resorts was slated to go? Did it always sit here empty? Does anyone have a photo showing it from various angles?

Also, directly behind the rectangular outcropping is a hump. Google Earth shows that hump as still being built recently for the GF DVC. Was that hump removed at one time?

View attachment 28751

Here is the Google Earth image for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Rich
It seems obvious to me, based on the angle of the first picture that the big outcropping of land is were the Floridian currently sits. Even more recent satellite photos seem to show that same outline in the water with a possible couple of other land fills added. The little sandy looking one, I agree was probably just a possibly planned beach area that was allowed to go back to nature and claimed by the lagoon.

Some of it, however, seems to be in the place where the Wedding Chapel (Motto: Entrance to the scariest ride in WDW) is currently located.:D

The Golf Course is still there to the right of the Monorail heading toward TTC from MK.

Scuttle

The rectangular plot of land sat there unused until the GF was built.

As far as the hump...it's a possibility that the wave machine eroded much of the hump before the machine was disconnected for good because of beach erosion.
The wave machine was creating waves in the direction of the Poly, so not sure if it would affect the "hump" or not.

Great thread btw.

lazyboy97o

I've always thought it odd that for this one particular hotel they decided to go with such a rigid geometry. So much work was put into making the water ways look natural, and then there is this big rectangle.

The Empress Lilly

I've always thought it odd that for this one particular hotel they decided to go with such a rigid geometry. So much work was put into making the water ways look natural, and then there is this big rectangle.
I think that would've been resolved if the Asian had been build. It's outer building would've stood directly in the water. Making it look not like a rectangular coastline, but a human construction in the middle of the lake.

dcr119119LARGE.jpg

boo52

Where the Grand Floridian main pool now sits it's northwest end is where the original fireworks firing site was for the Magic Kingdom. It was only used from Oct '71 to around May of '72. A permanent firing site was built on Island #4 (Castaway Cay) and used for the summer of '72 thru May '75. The site behind the Magic Kingdom was not built until 1975.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom