Seven Dwarves Mine Train the longest Disney attraction ever created and constructed.

TEAM Dasia

Original Poster
any thoughts of this?
my thought is that SDMT was an emergency attraction for Fantasyland so thats why it took so long to build.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
any thoughts of this?
my thought is that SDMT was an emergency attraction for Fantasyland so thats why it took so long to build.

Expedition Everest took about 2 years 9 months. The mine ride started construction around October of 2011 so it is likely to take less time then that. Also, the whole rest of the Fantasyland expansion took 2 years 10 months. Mission Space 3 years, 6 months including the demolition :( of Horizons.

Last edited:

Sped2424

I think what they are trying to say was the general excuse a lot of people bought, that they new fantasyland needed a landmark attraction, so they crafted this up last minute and thats why its taking so long. Which is incorrect.

Since1976

To clarify "emergency attraction" even further, the perception is that SDMT was shoehorned into New Fantasyland after the initial unveiled plans were judged to be too girl-centric (by a Disney exec's own kids, if I recall correctly). So, with the revised concept artwork, princess meet-and-greets were consolidated into one attraction space and the coaster dropped in the middle of the expansion.

mweier

Would definitely be first new fantasyland attraction my boys have any interest in riding so I see the emergency angle.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Compared to the SDMT, it is amazing that Animal Kingdom is 5 times the size of the MK and it opened inside of three years from the initial announcement ...
It is all about the spread sheets.

When an attraction or, in the case of AK, a park will consistently make the company more money you get it done yesterday. When it won't, you spread it across as many quarters as you can, use no overtime and squeeze every contractor for every penny to make the capital expenditures look good to the suits on Wall St.

nolatron

Compared to the SDMT, it is amazing that Animal Kingdom is 5 times the size of the MK and it opened inside of three years from the initial announcement ...

Yeah, but isn't most of that just open land? Something 110 of the 500 acres is just the Safari land if I recall. And it's not like AK had a lot of show buildings that needed to built. :D

As for the Mine Train, I would think the fact that it's smack in the middle of an active guest area could be one reason for the slow construction. All the heavy lifting, equipment moving, maybe very noisy work, etc.. has to be done in small after-hour windows.

Bocabear

They broke ground for the coaster at the same time as everything else...it wasn't like they started it long after the other stuff was built. I think they built all of Hollywood Studios faster then it is taking them to build that coaster...They are dragging it out for fiscal reasons...there is no reason it could not have been finished sooner.

gboiler1

Haunted Mansion still holds the record. Announced in 1961, Facade was built between 1962-1963 but the ride took six years to actually come together and opened in 1969.

I was thinking the exact same thing Tahu. Can you imagine the boards and threads on HM now?
I have one of the guide books from 1967 or so that features coming attractions and shows drawings of both Pirates and HM. I'm thinking that some might have been Rolly Crump's House of the Weird.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom