Seuss Landing sky attraction?

Fun2BFree

Original Poster
On the IOA map, there is a series of poles and a track with cars on it going around Seuss Landing. It isn't listed on the map, and I haven't seen it in the park. Do any of you know what it is and why it isn't listed?

Thanks in advance

The poles you refer to are part of Sylvester McBean's Unusual Driving Machines, the track and cars are all in place and can be clearly seen from all over Seuss Landings. The ride although built when the park first opened has never opened itself although i have seen it 'working' and apparently sometimes Seuss characters can be seen riding above the land. As to why it has never i opened, i don't know i would presume safety issues but i guess others know better than me.

jonny

Michael72688

Yes, it was safety problems. But I've heard from operations people around there that it will be opening sometime soon. But a lot of people have heard that over the years.

FigmentJedi

Kiwi Dreamer said:
The ride although built when the park first opened has never opened itself although i have seen it 'working' and apparently sometimes Seuss characters can be seen riding above the land.
It's true, Sneetches and McBean both ride around in some of those cars. I saw them go by up there a few years ago when I went to IoA.

PBarton

I remember seeing the track on my second trip to Florida in 1999. I also remember walking up to the entrance, only to be disapointed when discovering that the ride was not yet open!

We visited again the next year with the same result - although I do remember seeing the cars driving through the Circus Mcgurkus (spelling may be wrong) whilst eating a meal. No characters in the cars though...

I have not been to Universal since then, prefering to stick to WDW/Sea World - I can't believe that it is still not open ! :brick:

lifeguard1020

My Recent Trip...

I was just there last weekend...And while in the past I had seen the cars going through the circus tent while I was eating my meals...This year I did not see them traveling through...I was VERY specifically looking for them because I have been waiting eagerly since the park opened to be able to ride the sneeches...It is my second favorite seuse book out there...

Dan

I personally don't believe they'll ever open. It's been what six years and
nadda. I believe they had the Grinch's grotto in there line area one year
before the permenant building by "One Fish Two Fish".

I've been there twice a year since IOA opened I have seen the cars moving,
sometimes with characters sometimes without (although I thought the
characters were fake like statues or maybe AA not costumed employees). I
don't know if it's a safety issue or what though. One would have thought
that Universal would have tied up any safety issues during the design
process though or atleast noticed the implications before parts were bought
and constrution started that's just clumsy!

DarkMeasures

What I don't understand is that how similar the ride is to the peoplemover (originally built 40 years ago) and yet Universal can't seem to figure out their own version. (but then again both Peoplemovers always have an elevated platform next to the track so that guests can exit the ride no problem whenever there is a breakdown).

Basically, I just solved my own question.... oh well.... I think Universal should pay to upgrade the track so that ride can open.

nickcarraway

On my first trip to IOA several years ago, this completely perplexed me. I saw the ride moving around, didn't see it on the map, and couldn't find an entrance anywhere. I finally asked an employee and they said it wasn't working today. I had no idea it's never worked. Why don't they just remove it if they're not going to operate it? So strange.

JT3000

Because it's considered decoration now. And there isn't a good enough reason to put the effort into tearing it down. It's not in the way of anything.

It'd probably cost more to tear it down than to actually leave it and operate it everynow and then (i'm guessing it'd need zero supervision just switching it on).

I do believe that one of the reasons it hasn't ever opened is because in an emergency or a breakdown they would need cherry pickers to go and lower all the guests from the ride individually which isn't very practical or speedy.

PBarton

They should close the restaurant inside the Circus and force the people who made such a mess of the design to ride around all day in the cars.

Guest's could be provided with soft balls inside the Circus, and score points for "taking out" the vehicles! - The winner gets a stuffed Cat in the Hat toy!

Just a thought...

djlb16

does that ride was built to open?? i thought that universal built it just for decoration and never had plans to open it... now i think that would be a great new ride for IOA but not right now... IOA needs a major attraction... a ride that have to be unique, fast, awesome, creative and special then open the seuss landing sky attraction... when IOA first open nothing was better now everything is better than it

JROK

djlb16 said:
does that ride was built to open?? i thought that universal built it just for decoration and never had plans to open it... now i think that would be a great new ride for IOA but not right now... IOA needs a major attraction... a ride that have to be unique, fast, awesome, creative and special then open the seuss landing sky attraction... when IOA first open nothing was better now everything is better than it

There is a queue for it... but soon after the constructed it, they decided not to make it an attraction and make it just a decoration... there's no reason for them to make it an attraction as it would be putting money into something they don't need to... they could use that money for another and better attraction... for now and forever it is decoration... the queue for it is now used for Grinch and the Grinch is stored year round inside the building...

Michael72688

JROK said:
There is a queue for it... but soon after the constructed it, they decided not to make it an attraction and make it just a decoration... there's no reason for them to make it an attraction as it would be putting money into something they don't need to... they could use that money for another and better attraction... for now and forever it is decoration... the queue for it is now used for Grinch and the Grinch is stored year round inside the building...

I wouldn't be so sure about it forever being a decoration. Lately a lot of attention has been payed to this "decoration" both in Circus McGurkus and backstage, besides it wouldn't cost them too much to open and it would help to get the family into the park, rather than just the thrill seeking crowd.

JROK

Michael72688 said:
I wouldn't be so sure about it forever being a decoration. Lately a lot of attention has been payed to this "decoration" both in Circus McGurkus and backstage, besides it wouldn't cost them too much to open and it would help to get the family into the park, rather than just the thrill seeking crowd.

But it's not a really amazing ride... the whole thing was that you were going to be able to turn the ride vehicle in 360 degrees as it traveled the track... doesn't really seem like much of a fun ride... plus they'd have to build an area for guest to get off if it broke or was e-stopped... i don't ever see it becoming anything more than decoration...

djlb16

turn the ride vehicle 360 degrees while seeing a wonderful theme park... it sound very F.U.N the only problem i see is that they have to find something like an emergency way to get people off the ride as you said

Is it really the whole emergency stopping proceedure that is haulting this ride? I mean how would Disney have done so on the sky ride or Busch Gardens do so on their cable cars? I suppose it's a different ride system and with a cable car system it could be done manually to pull all the cars back in... again not very speedy but surely no less so than a cherry picker.

I guess I've just answered my own question!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom