September sadly no longer "Off Season"

Kman101

I somewhat disagree.

I hit three parks on September 10th and almost everything was walk on and crowds were very minimal.

When Soarin has a 20 minute wait time at noon, that should definitely say something. I also walked onto Test Track (single rider). MK, everything was virtual walk on.

So, it just depends, really. September is still a slow month, IMO. Not AS slow as before I would guess, but I still think it's pretty decent.

Kman101

Argh, and Argh again, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party is progressively getting busier each year. What started off as something so unique where you could look around and not see another guest has turned into something where the lines for attractions are just as long as regular opening hours.

I still attend the event each year (I guess moreful me) but just think it is a shame the guest limit is not capped as much.

I noticed that last year. Of course, I went around December 21st (or around there, cannot recall the actual date) ... it was slow during the day but I found it almost normal slow crowd level for the party. I'll be in the parks again this December but I dont think financially I want to do it again. I didn't ride a single ride last time (I was more interested in the special events).

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
While I agree that with Disney marketing, true "off time" seems to be a thing of the past, September, parts of October, early November and December are still real comfortable. I was visiting the week of the 8th, and things like Soarin, Test Track, SM, Peter Pan were usually 10 min, peaking at 20-30 min. for short periods of time.

Epcot seems to noticably pick up on weekends for Food and Wine.

Early Dec. is only a bother in MK when they are doing the filming one weekend.

It's still my preferred time to go (without the DDP)

pacochran

I find what they call slow seasons have picked up in the last few years. We usually go the first week of December or around then and have seen some pick up. Yes we complain a little that it is more crowded than what we are used to, but my wife who used to go in the real busy times of the year say that it is really not that crowded.

bgraham34

Well said LodgeFan.....indeed the ride times/lines were not all that bad. most of the time they were very managable, with the usual exceptions. What i noticed was large concentrations in all the resturants ( which i expected in some sense) but i also noticed more people in general just being around me...walking through the Parks, at the hotel, and exspecially at the hotel food court. Last year i assumed the spike in attendence was due to the EPCOT 25 Event ( i was there for that the last week in Sept when the Free Dining offer was over and the FAWFestival was in swing). So to come back and see it this year was ...well....a surprise.

I TOTALLY agree about those 'pesky marketing' efforts...ha ha....i also noticed a more prominant push to bring Mickey's Halloween Party to your average Guests' attention this year ( big time..). So i am sure it is only a short matter of time before this oaisis of non-exsistant ride lines and thin crowds in the Park will become a thing of the past. 'The Best Kept Disney Secret" was in reality THIS event...not some 'Vacation Club'!

I totally agree here. The restaurants and resorts were much busier. The parks were not too bad compared to what I had last year.

Raychul

Hmm, I didn't notice it. I just got back last night and we had a great week. Walked on to every ride, nothing was more than a 10 min wait (except Toy Story). Even the Evening EMH was dead and pretty quiet. I had a great time, the crowds were less than I expected. No complaints from me! :)

bgraham34

TSM and Soarin had the longest waits when I was there. I even waited 30 mins with a Fast Pass at Soarin once. Overall I can't complain about my trip. We did everything in record time.

Club Cooloholic

Well, this time around it was more then obvious to me that everyone and their grandmother was well aware of the 'Free Dining' offer....and thanks to the US Government had some extra money to spend. What to do? Ooo go to WDW!

:wave:

God forbid the pleebs go on vacation at your Disney World. That statment was kind of strange, and snotty.

I was there, and I found there to be very light crowds. As everyone knows here, if you want to get a restaurant of choice for sure, book in advance. But when I was there, people were getting walk up seating at Marrakesh.

While the free dining is a great deal, you do have to book it way ahead of time, and there is a limit to how many packages are available at each hotel.

It's good that Disney is seeing better crowds, it means the place is making money and can keep improving.

I think the rise in home schooled kids, and couples traveling to Disney alone, is probably as much responsible for the increased crowds as anything.

SchultzFamily

We were there September 1 - 9 and literally walked onto/into every attraction in five minutes or less, with the exception of Tower of Terror which was 30 minutes (but that was our fault--we went to line up right after we got out of Fantasmic and, at the time, did not know that Rock & Roll Roller Coaster was down--gee, what a surprise) and 15 minutes for Soarin' every time we rode it. I was amazed at how LIGHT the crowds were during our time there. Unfortunately, we have to book September 20 - 28 next year and I'm not happy about it--I like the first week of September--but DH has a trade show and can't go that first week.

MousDad

I'm fully convinced that whether or not a WDW Park seems to be crowded or not on any given day is fluid and unpredictable.

Crowd conditions may or may not be affected at any given time by many variables, including date of visit, skillful planning, luck, perception, special events, etc. Sometimes these can all get out of whack and make attendance seem irregular, in either direction.

For example, I would venture to say that there is always 1 of the 4 parks on any given day that is considerably less crowded than 1, 2 or 3 of the others. What if someone happens to hit the most crowded park 7 days in a row, or the least crowded 7 days in a row, or a mix? There's just too many variables at play.

I think this explains why you'll have some people saying X and some people saying Y. The only way any of this could ever be confirmed is by publishing actual turnstile counts. Anectdotal evidence will always contradict.

CBug88

Totally agree on the variables, just too many factors playing into each day (EMH, weather, school year, birthdays, anniversarys, free dining, etc.) however, I still think its a safe bet that September is still a slower part of the year (just try to make dining reservations earlier, before your trip) and I don't think you should have too many problems.

I was there at the beginning of the month and after Labor Day weekend things really slowed down. Everything was under a 20 minute wait (except Toy Story Mania which was only at a 35 minute wait). My family pretty much was able to get on anything and everything- I guess a factor could also be that we have visited many many times and know how the crowds move through each park and we have mastered the skill of fastpass, etc.

For someone who has not visited Disney as often may not have as much luck or experience with 'reading' the crowds and attractions as someone who visits more often.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
God forbid the pleebs go on vacation at your Disney World. That statment was kind of strange, and snotty.

I was there, and I found there to be very light crowds. As everyone knows here, if you want to get a restaurant of choice for sure, book in advance. But when I was there, people were getting walk up seating at Marrakesh.

While the free dining is a great deal, you do have to book it way ahead of time, and there is a limit to how many packages are available at each hotel.

It's good that Disney is seeing better crowds, it means the place is making money and can keep improving.

I think the rise in home schooled kids, and couples traveling to Disney alone, is probably as much responsible for the increased crowds as anything.

Apologies then , as the quote of mine was not ment to be 'snotty' at all when taken in the context of the entire paragraph it was contained within. It was more a sly poke and a bit of humor...sometimes hard to detect when one cannot coverse directly and hear a voice-tone change...one of the downsides of internet forums. In all honesty, i was well aware that i could very well see more people about because of the Tax Rebate. No hard feelings i hope.....:wave:

Yes, i agree that it IS good that WDW is seeing better attendence during the 'slower' periods in that it will help with covering the costs of improving and refurbing exsisting attractions, and better enhance ( hopefully) coming attractions.

And yes...the 'Free Dining' offer is a good deal, exspecially those Guests with families, and i completely agree that during that period people really do need to plan ahead and make those PSA's. I DID notice that there were periods when some sit-down service places were taking seating for walk-ups at certain locations so that was good. I know a lot of folks find the PSA's restrictive so i was glad that people were able to get a table at some places without it.

As with anything, it's all in the timing.

Club Cooloholic

Apologies then , as the quote of mine was not ment to be 'snotty' at all when taken in the context of the entire paragraph it was contained within. It was more a sly poke and a bit of humor...sometimes hard to detect when one cannot coverse directly and hear a voice-tone change...one of the downsides of internet forums. In all honesty, i was well aware that i could very well see more people about because of the Tax Rebate. No hard feelings i hope.....:wave:

Yes, i agree that it IS good that WDW is seeing better attendence during the 'slower' periods in that it will help with covering the costs of improving and refurbing exsisting attractions, and better enhance ( hopefully) coming attractions.

And yes...the 'Free Dining' offer is a good deal, exspecially those Guests with families, and i completely agree that during that period people really do need to plan ahead and make those PSA's. I DID notice that there were periods when some sit-down service places were taking seating for walk-ups at certain locations so that was good. I know a lot of folks find the PSA's restrictive so i was glad that people were able to get a table at some places without it.

As with anything, it's all in the timing.

No offence taken on my part! Hey seeing what these CEO's of failed companies are getting after the government buyouts...they can afford a LOT of trips Disney World thanks to the taxpayers ...LOL....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I'm fully convinced that whether or not a WDW Park seems to be crowded or not on any given day is fluid and unpredictable.

Crowd conditions may or may not be affected at any given time by many variables, including date of visit, skillful planning, luck, perception, special events, etc. Sometimes these can all get out of whack and make attendance seem irregular, in either direction.

For example, I would venture to say that there is always 1 of the 4 parks on any given day that is considerably less crowded than 1, 2 or 3 of the others. What if someone happens to hit the most crowded park 7 days in a row, or the least crowded 7 days in a row, or a mix? There's just too many variables at play.

I think this explains why you'll have some people saying X and some people saying Y. The only way any of this could ever be confirmed is by publishing actual turnstile counts. Anectdotal evidence will always contradict.

Well said! Yeah, i agree....and it is true: Different aspects will effect any Park at any given day.

An example would be EMH's....i purposely stayed away from any Park having Morning Hours as they tend to be busier then the others on that day. Crowd patterns is always a fasinating topic...it would be really interesting is see someone study WDW Crowd Patterns and publish some scientific work on it...

I would be willing to bet there are people right on this forum who could handle it very well!

Well i am already planning my next visit...i'm looking at the 3rd week in January now...and on the Official Website the only Value Resort availible is Pop Century ( ???).....okay, something must be going on that week i don't know about..maybe that Marathon ?

Like i said, it's all in the timing.....

Figments Friend

Original Poster
No offence taken on my part! Hey seeing what these CEO's of failed companies are getting after the government buyouts...they can afford a LOT of trips Disney World thanks to the taxpayers ...LOL....

LOL...cool, well maybe they can help with the refurb budgets.....

:sohappy:

spectrodanny

Yeah, i noticed that! When i arrived on the 10th, the crowd levels were not anything out of the ordinary. By the 12th, suddenly it seemed everyone had arrived from abroad. It was VERY noticable after that weekend. I am ashamed to admit it..but there was actually a part of me ready to go back home just to get away from the big crowd that suddenly desended. It must have conincided with the big European Package Deals that were run to attract business from the UK/Europe. There was a HUGE concentration ...moreso then other years. Not that this is bad in any way....i love being surrounded by all the accents! It's more the unruly homeland family groups ( you know the rude types you sometimes bump into in public places...) that tend to deminish the Magic.

I was asked twice to take part in surveys though which i enjoyed...always love giving my feedback to WDW Survey Teams. First one was when exiting Animal Kingdom. It was primarily focused on Food Service, so most of the questions were regarding food quality, CM service in resturants, and other related topics. There were also a couple of Dining Plan questions, though this time around i was not a part of that. Still good to know they were interested in Guest feedback.

The other survey was after i checked out of my Resort. I have been surveyed before when checking out, so this was nothing new. Most of the questions involved Resort related feedback. Still, always a pleasure to give my feedback to them.

So yeah....i think the next time i visit WDW i will be looking at January or early February. Septemeber is now oficially 'OFF' of my list for 'Best Times to Visit'.
''

YOU went to ANIMAL KINGDOM??? Wow Jenn I didn't know you liked tht park

We also just returned from our usual September visit. This September was much busier than years past. We spent 12 nights at Old Key West and found the crowds "hit or miss". We quickly realized that a large percentage of guests were new or had only a visit or two under their belts. We talked with a lot of people the first day or so and they were excited to use the EMH's being offered. We simply adjusted to avoiding the parks with EMH's and found the other parks to have small crowds.
At OKW we stayed at the back of the resort, right next to the quiet pool and it never had more than a family or two. We were really happy to see so many new guests experiencing WDW. A lot of the people we spoke with did not have one complaint. We also really enjoyed ending the evening in the hot tub talking with other guests and hearing about their trip.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
''

YOU went to ANIMAL KINGDOM??? Wow Jenn I didn't know you liked tht park

Ha ha...hey Danny! I like it better then Hollywood Studios...by a longshot!

I like AK more then i used to.....it has grown on me over the past few visits. I think partly because there seems to be more to do and see now, and also partly because i am seeing many parts of the Park with 'different eyes' now.

On my 'hit list'....AK ranks as my 3rd fave.

Hit List:

EPCOT ( all the way, baby...)
Magic Kingdom
Animal Kingdom
Hollywood Studios

Of course if i include DISNEYLAND on my list ...which i should....then AK falls to #4!

:)

dixiegirl

This off-season is more crowded than usual, yes.

We noticed that as well....We've been going in September since 96 every year...And that was always a great time to go the parks dead ...Until they started that oh so fabulous free dining(yes there is sarcasim there)....We just came back on Sunday Sept 21 and the Magic Kingdom was a nut house (that day yes i know it's usually busy on weekends cause of locals but it was crazy) ...A 30 min wait for Small World....which I can say that we actually did a trip without going on that ride.....We did do Haunted Mansion then left the park....We had enough....The parks were'nt horrible by any means ....but I think next year we're gonna try a week or two after the free dining crap!!!

Yes September is no longer a "quiet" time to go!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom