Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Well, I hope you are one of the considerate ones, but they are few and far between. I still hope they ban the stupid things before someone gets hurt, because it WILL happen at some point.
I would like to think i am ;)
I don't want it to extend just as a handle for my gopro so i can hold it better.Trying to find a handle that doesn't extend was like the preverbial needle so i bit the bullet and got a gopole :jawdrop:

Prince-1

I would like to think i am ;)
I don't want it to extend just as a handle for my gopro so i can hold it better.Trying to find a handle that doesn't extend was like the preverbial needle so i bit the bullet and got a gopole :jawdrop:

I have a Go Pole as well. It also doesnt extend that far. :(

m3owbox

I only saw 8 on my 8 day trip last month. But every person that had one wasn't paying attention to where they were going.

NowInc

Jumping in late on this thread...

I hate the selfie sticks. I'll give you 2 recent examples as to why:

Splash Mountain. The couple in front of us spent the entire ride with the stick extended aiming towards them on the ride. The arm extended outside the vehicle, and then above them so they could spend the entire ride making kissy faces at their gopro while on the ride. As the person BEHIND them, not only was it distracting, but I was in the position to see it banging against set pieces that are NORMALLY out of reach.

Second reason:

People extend them with no care to those around them. I have gotten whacked in the face, hard, by someone recklessly swinging their selfie stick in the parks. As crowded as they are, I am sure this happens a lot. I can EASILY see why they are swiftly getting banned. Enforcing it will not be easy, as more often than not when someone in the parks is told to stop doing something, they only comply for as long as someone is watching them.

wogwog

Jumping in late on this thread...

I hate the selfie sticks. I'll give you 2 recent examples as to why:

Splash Mountain. The couple in front of us spent the entire ride with the stick extended aiming towards them on the ride. The arm extended outside the vehicle, and then above them so they could spend the entire ride making kissy faces at their gopro while on the ride. As the person BEHIND them, not only was it distracting, but I was in the position to see it banging against set pieces that are NORMALLY out of reach.

Second reason:

People extend them with no care to those around them. I have gotten whacked in the face, hard, by someone recklessly swinging their selfie stick in the parks. As crowded as they are, I am sure this happens a lot. I can EASILY see why they are swiftly getting banned. Enforcing it will not be easy, as more often than not when someone in the parks is told to stop doing something, they only comply for as long as someone is watching them.
Help stop the inconsiderate selfish selfie idiots. When an incident like you had on Splash Mountain happens demand a re-ride and do not exit the train. Loudly point out the idiots to a cast member. Usually other riders will join in the complaint and get a re-ride as well. You will be given a re-ride. Then register a complaint at Guest Relations or by email of the unsafe and inconsiderate behavior. Enough re-rides and complaints and Disney might finally wake up.

I told my friends visiting to do just this at WDW recently and they reported the idiots and sent an email to Disney. They were given several re-rides.

ABQ

Exactly @wogwog . Hopefully enough complaints will take place before injury or some incident where a moron knocks an animatronic over with a stick. Though if the latter does take place, hopefully that will be the straw that breaks the back and forces WDW to ban them from the parks.

GetAPaperBag

Help stop the inconsiderate selfish selfie idiots. When an incident like you had on Splash Mountain happens demand a re-ride and do not exit the train. Loudly point out the idiots to a cast member. Usually other riders will join in the complaint and get a re-ride as well. You will be given a re-ride. Then register a complaint at Guest Relations or by email of the unsafe and inconsiderate behavior. Enough re-rides and complaints and Disney might finally wake up.

I told my friends visiting to do just this at WDW recently and they reported the idiots and sent an email to Disney. They were given several re-rides.

Who's making more of a distraction and scene now? My gosh. Calm down. You people have lost your minds about a little stick. I'm amazed you can function in life if such little things bother you so much.

wogwog

Exactly @wogwog . Hopefully enough complaints will take place before injury or some incident where a moron knocks an animatronic over with a stick. Though if the latter does take place, hopefully that will be the straw that breaks the back and forces WDW to ban them from the parks.
I am not concerned about damage to Disney property. That is on Disney for allowing these things in the park. I am concerned for the innocent guest behind these fools getting injured by flying broken camera parts, phones, the stick or broken ride scenes.

wogwog

Who's making more of a distraction and scene now? My gosh. Calm down. You people have lost your minds about a little stick. I'm amazed you can function in life if such little things bother you so much.
If they were little and could only injure the user I would see your point. The rest of the civilized world seems to disagree with you. Even Brazil of all places.

GetAPaperBag

If they were little and could only injure the user I would see your point. The rest of the civilized world seems to disagree with you. Even Brazil of all places.

Lots of things at Disney World could injure people if used improperly. You can't ban everything. People do rude things all the time. I've had people with big lenses on their camera stick it out in my way at a parade. Did I lose my mind and expect them to run the parade again and go run to guest services? No. I just made the best of the situation. I also didn't jump online and start demanding they ban long lenses on cameras.

wogwog

Lots of things at Disney World could injure people if used improperly. You can't ban everything. People do rude things all the time. I've had people with big lenses on their camera stick it out in my way at a parade. Did I lose my mind and expect them to run the parade again and go run to guest services? No. I just made the best of the situation. I also didn't jump online and start demanding they ban long lenses on cameras.
The over under for a WDW ban is five weeks.

NowInc

Except its unlikley a long lens on a camera will extent outwards of 2-3 feet and smack into a guests face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom