Security Positions

patrick noling

Original Poster
Hello,
I will be retiring from the military in about 8 months and am planning on moving to Orlando. I am currently stationed in Germany so job hunting is going to be a fun issue. Right now the plan is to move to Orlando and pursue a career at WDW. I was looking into going into the security field but was not sure about the hiring process. Also I have tattoo's on my arms the extend to my upper wrists and was wondering if this would be an issue. I have read that you have to be able to cover tattoo's and with a long sleeve shirt this would not be an issue, I just wasn't sure if that was what people normally due is just wear long sleeves.

Any advise or info on the security jobs or the hiring process in general would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Domosuke

First of all, thank you for serving.

I give props for guys that want to be security guards at Amusement Parks. That's a tough job buddy. Damn.

Armed forces experience is excellent. You already have an edge up just from that.

You might need to probably be certified as a security guard if you're not already and go through training for that first.

All the guards at Disney here in CA, the majority seem to be in good shape, whether they look toned in their upper bodies, or are tall, and have good physique.

But I have seen some exceptions, I have seen older senior citizen aged men as guards, as well as younger slender college aged guys too but I know that's not what they are looking for. They want individuals that look and are well fit.

Both Disney parks have a police station and fire department intact so I guess security can just call them in some cases.

Tattoo issue. I have seen guards with visible tattoos, but I also seen employees of all iotas wear white long sleeved undershirts under their costumed shirt meaning they had visible tattoos on their arms, so you should be okay.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

patrick noling

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply. Have you worked at WDW or just know people. I also have another dilemma, I have to figure out how I am going to try and do an interview when I am stationed over here in Germany. I know if I apply I can only do so once every six months, but am worried that if they tell me they want me to come in for an interview right away and I am over here. Not sure if anyone on here has any experience with anything close to this, but thanks again for responding.

patrick noling

Original Poster
you can request an online interview. but dont apply until way closer to your arrival. they will not hold a job very long. be aware its low pay and many struggle to survive. and yes i know what retired military pay is like. You have the advantage of medical being covered. be aware you will be tricare standard in Orlando. you have to be 30 miles i think from a base. nearest base is patrick afb which is 80 miles. its a small base has medical clinic commissary and exchange. there is a new va clinic opening in Orlando, not sure if it has yet or not, off of 417. large va medical issues are sent to either tampa or jacksonville. there is a small reserve navy base in Orlando by airport but i have not ever gone there and seen what they have. also they may not have any openings when you are looking so have backup plan. FYI security usually starts in bag check..... after you have been here awhile you can move up. retired military and cm so if you have questions please ask. i will try to help.
Thank you for your input. I know the pay is not the best, but money is not why I want to work there. I really am looking forward to the transition. Again Thank you,

MJbound4WDW

Hi I am a recently separated veteran too. I was lucky enough to already live in the Central Florida area so going to an interview at the Casting Center wasn't an issue. I interviewed for a Security job and it was easy. The military experience seemed to be the icing on the cake. My recruiter just asked me basic questions about the job, to see if I fully understood, and about what I did in the military. I hit a bit of a road block with not being fully qualified. My recruiter just gave me her card and said to email her once I get it handled (get my driver's license), then we can do the hiring process.

So don't worry about the interview. Smile, be friendly, talk to your recruiter and show them you are a real person and that you will fit into the company. They want to hire vets, so as long as you're qualified and there is a position, you got this.

I hope that helps and I'll post more once I get the job if you still need help.

patrick noling

Original Poster
Hi I am a recently separated veteran too. I was lucky enough to already live in the Central Florida area so going to an interview at the Casting Center wasn't an issue. I interviewed for a Security job and it was easy. The military experience seemed to be the icing on the cake. My recruiter just asked me basic questions about the job, to see if I fully understood, and about what I did in the military. I hit a bit of a road block with not being fully qualified. My recruiter just gave me her card and said to email her once I get it handled (get my driver's license), then we can do the hiring process.

So don't worry about the interview. Smile, be friendly, talk to your recruiter and show them you are a real person and that you will fit into the company. They want to hire vets, so as long as you're qualified and there is a position, you got this.

I hope that helps and I'll post more once I get the job if you still need help.
Thank you, I really appreciate your advice. Please do post more if you have anymore words of wisdom, will take all the advice I can get during this big transition.

Yjm0290

First of all, thank you for serving.

I give props for guys that want to be security guards at Amusement Parks. That's a tough job buddy. Damn.

Armed forces experience is excellent. You already have an edge up just from that.

You might need to probably be certified as a security guard if you're not already and go through training for that first.

All the guards at Disney here in CA, the majority seem to be in good shape, whether they look toned in their upper bodies, or are tall, and have good physique.

But I have seen some exceptions, I have seen older senior citizen aged men as guards, as well as younger slender college aged guys too but I know that's not what they are looking for. They want individuals that look and are well fit.

Both Disney parks have a police station and fire department intact so I guess security can just call them in some cases.

Tattoo issue. I have seen guards with visible tattoos, but I also seen employees of all iotas wear white long sleeved undershirts under their costumed shirt meaning they had visible tattoos on their arms, so you should be okay.

Best of luck.

I just got hired as security and I'm only 5'0 :(

mousehockey37

The OP in this thread is in Germany. Right now there will be no face to face interacting with anyone in Florida. That's the point of the thread. How to handle the process from abroad.

I thought the mouse gave you the boot.

mouse_luv

OP, just be aware that the advice domosuke is giving you regarding the long sleeves is great in CA but you will not be able to do that in FL w/o risking a heat stroke 90% of the year. :facepalm:

Domosuke

The OP in this thread is in Germany. Right now there will be no face to face interacting with anyone in Florida. That's the point of the thread. How to handle the process from abroad.

I thought the mouse gave you the boot.

Yes "the mouse" did give me the boot. But I did work there so I still have the right to give my two cents as an employee, and I still visit the park sporadically. I still have a voice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom