Seasonal employment, one week a year?

TangleWeb

Original Poster
I’m interested in working for Disney part time (seasonal?) & have some questions;

We’ve been to Disney many times over the years, as we raised our children & this last time in June 2009, we went with adults only. We had a BLAST! It’s like that commercial for Disney where the adult kids ask each other what mom & dad are going to do in Disney without them & then the commercial cuts to mom & dad having the time of their lives ;)
<O:p
Anyway, while we were there, we met a woman who had been working part time for Disney for years & she explained that she works ONE WEEK A YEAR. She goes on the Disney Hub & applies for assignments, or jobs that are available the week she will be in Orlando. Usually, she’s a lifeguard, but she’s done other jobs as well. She said that this is actually pretty common & knows others who do the same thing.

I would love to work for Disney PT, or “seasonally”, 1 week a year. Then, when I’m ready to relocate, or retire years down the road, I could apply for FT, or more regular PT.

I have 15 years experience in Law Enforcement & Security, at one point in my career I considered applying for FT security at Disney, as we were thinking about moving to Orlando at the time. I ran security for Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort during construction (for the builder, not directly for Disney) & met several Disney Executives & got a good feel for how Disney does its projects. Everything has to be “just right”. :)

I’ve been in Information Technology for the last 11 years or so, in fact the company I work for was even considering buying the communications company that serves WDW.

I’m not sure whether to apply for an IT type position, or a security related position, or if either would be possible under the circumstances I mentioned. I’ve been with my current employer for a little over 10 years & have enough vacation time to complete the Traditions class, etc. I’d be more than willing to fulfill other positions, even custodial, since I’ve done my share of that over the years as well :)

I’m just not sure how to go about applying for these positions, or which to apply for. My understanding is that you can only have one active application at a time, is that correct?

Any & all help or information would be much appreciated!

~Dave

I think your problem might be that you aren't local. While the location i work at has seasonal employees, some of them started out at either CR (casual regular, like me) or cp (college program). It is my understanding that you have to work at least one of these types of postions (or f/t) before switching to seasonal (ct). Some seasonals work just 40 hrs, some work more (ie just Saturdays). Maybe someone who is CT can respond to you.

TangleWeb

Original Poster
I think your problem might be that you aren't local. While the location i work at has seasonal employees, some of them started out at either CR (casual regular, like me) or cp (college program). It is my understanding that you have to work at least one of these types of postions (or f/t) before switching to seasonal (ct). Some seasonals work just 40 hrs, some work more (ie just Saturdays). Maybe someone who is CT can respond to you.
I wish I'd asked her for her contact info. I'd sure like to know how she worked herself into that position. I got the impression that she'd never worked more than 1 - 2 weeks a year, even when she first started.

What type of schedule do casual regulars typically work?

juan

I work a total of 1 week a year at WDW as seasonal - one day every here and then and it is great!!!

But to get to have the chance to have the status, you must put in 3-4weeks of full availability at the beginning of your employment, then you must also have management that will accept you on a sporadic/yearly basis.
I did CP program and then switched over

Hope this helps:wave: and good luck

TangleWeb

Original Poster
I work a total of 1 week a year at WDW as seasonal - one day every here and then and it is great!!!

But to get to have the chance to have the status, you must put in 3-4weeks of full availability at the beginning of your employment, then you must also have management that will accept you on a sporadic/yearly basis.

That is very helpful. I have 4 weeks vacation per year at my current job, so I could actually work 4 weeks the first year. I could also take an additional 2 weeks without pay. This means that in theory, I could go through the hiring process, including the Traditions class AND work 4 weeks.

I think this might be difficult to accomplish, but certainly worth pursuing :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences in positions between IT & Security?

Pioneer Hall

That is very helpful. I have 4 weeks vacation per year at my current job, so I could actually work 4 weeks the first year. I could also take an additional 2 weeks without pay. This means that in theory, I could go through the hiring process, including the Traditions class AND work 4 weeks.

I think this might be difficult to accomplish, but certainly worth pursuing :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences in positions between IT & Security?

IT is often a professional level position, so finding something there would probably be tough. However, security is a part time hourly role...so you could definintely find something there.

heartodisney

One wonderful friend of mine works this also..that being said..she did have to do the multi week first, then switch. She works in Epcot as a guide for groups..she loves this and that she can spread her 7 days thru out the year or all at one time. But, if there are no groups for her shift, she stands in the parking lot...rain or shine...cars or no cars...STANDING! I am trying my best to get her to transfer to Bippity-Bopity Boutiques where she is very good with kids. She and her husband have sponsered over 100 kids in foster care.

What type of schedule do casual regulars typically work?

When I transferred, it was 2 days of full availablity; now it's 3.
So I work 5 days a week at my f/t job, and 2 days a week at my p/t job. My p/t job will schedule me anywhere between a 6 hour shift to an 8 hour shift, each day.

Tinkrbell

Do you get the same perks, only working one week? You know, admission, discounts?

Yep, I did the college program aug 2008-may 2009 & went seasonal after my program ended. I worked a few days before I left Orlando & went back for a week in January & ended up working 2 days then. I still get park admissions, merchandise & resort discounts, everything the same. Seasonal CMs only get 6 days of admission on their main gate pass while full time get 12 or 15 I think. I have even used my ID to get a discount at the Disney Store near my house. I'm going back in August for another college program, but I submitted a request to work as seasonal the day before I check in for my program. I'm doing the same job this time & since I stayed seasonal, I don't have to be retrained on everything, just the things that have changed since I last worked in thos locations or for the skills that expired. (Most skills are good for a year, but some in costuming are only good for 6 months.)

joen1982

I was also wondering how seasonal works. I wanted to travel to Florida during the holidays and work, and then return home. I think people have done something similar to that in the past. Would I be allowed to do that?

berlioz70

Hi @joen1982, please note that this thread is 5 years old, the info discussed is no longer current.

Check out Disney Careers for Seasonal jobs and apply through the website. They focus recruitment locally, so apply when you're in town for a couple months and have a local address. When you first start out they like you to give a lot of availability up front so they can fully train you in the area (it used to be 8-12 weeks, I'm not sure what it is now). Then you must work a minimum of 150 hours per year, which is evaluated quarterly.

IH8VEGS

Hope someone can help me with my situation and let me know if it is possible.

I plan on buying a home in Celebration and then rent the house as short term lease during the summer. I plan on traveling with my RV and be a campground house up north during the summer and then return in the fall/winter. I would love to come work at Disney doing almost anything.

I saw in a different thread (older thread) that there might be a requirement to put in approximately 150 hrs. If that is for the entire year then there is no issues but it appeared that it might be as much as 150 hrs every quarter. If that is the case it will probably not work in my situation because having to return for a month + to work won't be possible.

Any help/advice would be awesome.

berlioz70

I saw in a different thread (older thread) that there might be a requirement to put in approximately 150 hrs. If that is for the entire year then there is no issues but it appeared that it might be as much as 150 hrs every quarter. If that is the case it will probably not work in my situation because having to return for a month + to work won't be possible.

It's 150 hours a year, which is evaluated every quarter. There are four quarters (Sept-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Set), and at the end of each quarter you must have 150 hours from the previous 12 months. Your first year you just build up the hours, then your second year you will be evaluated.

mom2of2

Hope someone can help me with my situation and let me know if it is possible.

I plan on buying a home in Celebration and then rent the house as short term lease during the summer. I plan on traveling with my RV and be a campground house up north during the summer and then return in the fall/winter. I would love to come work at Disney doing almost anything.

Any help/advice would be awesome.

just an FYI....Celebration doesn't allow short term rentals

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom