Scrims coming down on Main Street USA

hpyhnt 1000

While the facades look great, is it just me, or has the east side of Main Street lost most of its sidewalk trees? Definitely more barren now...

All the scrims are completely, 100% down now, and wow! Main Street looks brand new! All photos are from Mice Chat.

DatelineDisneyWorld705-IMG_9608.jpg

For comparison, here is a shot from Laughing Place taken a few years ago:
11371L.jpg

Here's a WDWMagic pic post refurbishment:
Main-Street-USA_Full_15981.jpg

And a comparison from Disney Tour Reviews of that same area pre-refurb:
main-street_empty.jpg

I don't know what MK management has against trees but the their removal along Main Street has really gotten out of hand. Sight lines be darned, stop taking out trees!

PeterMarcus

Lately, I figured Main Street would be like the Golden Gate in San Francisco -- as soon as they finish painting, they go back to the other end and start painting all over again.

the-reason14

How stale. WDW is really falling to pieces just like the sky, I don't see me getting my money's worth anymore. Can't wait till my trip next month though *sarcasm* it looks good.

Animaniac93-98

I don't know what MK management has against trees but the their removal along Main Street has really gotten out of hand. Sight lines be darned, stop taking out trees!

The only excuse for doing so I can think of is having more sidewalk space in front of the bakery in case the line for it spills outside. If the trees really did cause sighline problems, wouldn't the same ones across the street be gone too?

Whatever the reason it looks worse than it did before. MS and the hub in general look really "flat" without trees to break up the space between the buildings and the street (and no bricked sidewalk or street, but that's another thing).

Tom

Beta Return
I think it looks fantastic.

As for the trees, I still don't know why people are so hung up on having them where they block the view of Disney magic. Forest? Sure. Jungle? Absolutely. Every inch of property that isn't a park, resort or road - check. But blocking the view of the castle or the beautiful buildings along Main Street? Nah.

Also, the trees along main street just created one more hazard when trying to navigate the street. The fewer obstacles, the safer and easier it is to get around.

Animaniac93-98

I think it looks fantastic.

As for the trees, I still don't know why people are so hung up on having them where they block the view of Disney magic. Forest? Sure. Jungle? Absolutely. Every inch of property that isn't a park, resort or road - check. But blocking the view of the castle or the beautiful buildings along Main Street? Nah.

The castle is 189 ft. tall. unless you're standing in front of the trunk and not moving your head or body in any direction, I'm pretty sure you'll see it. This picture shows why the trees did not hurt castle sightlines:

11371L.jpg

Also, the trees along main street just created one more hazard when trying to navigate the street. The fewer obstacles, the safer and easier it is to get around.

I once saw a stroller tip 90 degrees backwards when it was ramed against a sidewalk curb on MS. Does that mean we should get rid of them too? What if I bang my leg against a garbage can?

Yodadudeman

This really looks superb. Main Street looks so clean and vibrant. I wouldn't get hung up on the removal of the trees either. There are many areas around WDW that have plenty of plants.

dreamscometrue

Did the trees in the hub create sight-line problems?

You be the judge:
url

Thanks for posting that picture. To me, Main Street looks so much better without the trees on both sides and in the central hub. Don't get me wrong, I do love trees, and am thrilled with them in most places at WDW, including the expanded fantasyland. It's not simply about sight lines to the castle; I just don't think they are pleasing in this view. I much prefer the view in the photos taken since the scrims came down.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thanks for posting that picture. To me, Main Street looks so much better without the trees on both sides and in the central hub. Don't get me wrong, I do love trees, and am thrilled with them in most places at WDW, including the expanded fantasyland. It's not simply about sight lines to the castle; I just don't think they are pleasing in this view. I much prefer the view in the photos taken since the scrims came down.
I don't know, to me it felt more authentic (I know it's a theme park it's not real) with the trees...plus they all had the twinkly lights in them which at dusk/dark made it really magical.

maxairmike

The trees actually made it feel a little more real, like a real town street. They don't have to be substantial, but some more greenery would be very much appreciated, and it just looks nicer in general. In the above picture, I feel like the trees also created a very necessary separation. It wasn't an early 1900s street leading to a European fairy tale castle, it was a street leading to somewhere with a castle just beyond.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom