Scrapbooks on a Budget.

Kristi Kay

Original Poster
Okay, lets talk about scrabook saving tips. Anything you've done or seen done that looks really good, but doesn't break your bank account. For Example, I love those Joule (sp?) fabric princess dress embelishments, but I just can't afford too many. So what I do, on some of my pages, is get stickers and mount them on a couple layers of coordinating papers....it looks pretty nice and it 1/2 the price.

Now someone else.

mouselvrmom

Another thing is if you do buy the stickers or any set of coordinating stickers, you can try to just use one sticker per page along with colored paper etc. to create many pages with the same theme. Does that make sense? It does in my head. :lol:

k.hunter30

Someone in our original thread mentioned a double use for letter stickers. First peel off the letter. Then cut out the letter outline part which you've just pulled from. Stick that to a piece of different color paper and voila! Another letter to use!

I forget whose idea that was - so please speak up! l'm using it for my next scrapbook - my first WDW one!

Disneyfalcon

Someone else said use souveniers. That's a great free accent. If you're worried about them being archival safe, either put them in see through envelopes, or invest in a bottle of archival spray that de-acidifies paper. They're about $40 (use your Michaels coupon) but one bottle lasts quite a while.

k.hunter30

Someone else said use souveniers. That's a great free accent. If you're worried about them being archival safe, either put them in see through envelopes, or invest in a bottle of archival spray that de-acidifies paper. They're about $40 (use your Michaels coupon) but one bottle lasts quite a while.
What free souvenirs are you thinking of?

Disneyfalcon

I was thinking (someone said this in the long thread) of napkins, ticket stubs, unused fastpasses, occasion buttons (like First Visit, Birthday, Anniversary), etc. Those are the free ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more!

k.hunter30

I was thinking (someone said this in the long thread) of napkins, ticket stubs, unused fastpasses, occasion buttons (like First Visit, Birthday, Anniversary), etc. Those are the free ones I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more!
Oh! Of course. Sorry - my mind went blank for a second. :hammer:

ljs1691

Don't forget to grab 2 or 3 park maps from each park on your way out. There are likely pics or words that could be cut out. Using the actual layout of the park would make good background paper too.

I save everything from check-in because there is quite a bit of info and pics there too.

I rubber stamp so I am always up for a clearance set of alphabet stamps. You would be amazed at how far one basic set of alphabet stamps will go for page titles. All you have to start with is a basic black ink pad and you are good to go with some colored paper. Even better if you can find alphabet stamps that are not solid, so you only get the outline of the letter. Then you can color them with markers any way you like. The big chains are always running 40-50% off stamps and I love digging through the bargain bins, you never know what you will find. (Jolee's embellishments for .09 each, yes you heard right)

Kristi Kay

Original Poster
the double sticker usage was my thing....and it is fantasic! So ecnomical and it looks really good! I'm glad to hear someone else is using it!

k.hunter30

Who posted a picture of that neat way to include the park maps in a scrapbook? It was a zig-zag looking thing that held it in place... I'm wondering how you made it. I'm planning on using some stuff from the map as background or decoration, but I want to include one whole map like that too.

If I'm not making any sense I'll try to search for it in our original thread.

Kristi Kay

Original Poster
k. hunter, I just noticed your Europe 2008 and back to Disney 2009....I'm hitting Europe 2008, as well....

One of the girls from my college program and I are backpacking it next summer....Are you backpacking as well?

I guess that will be something else to scrapbook....lol

Disneyfalcon

That was me! It's just a series of brads with fiber through the first hole and then looped around the other brads, then out through the last hole.

I was going to recommend brads as an inexpensive embellishment. You can get 100 or so for a few dollars and all you need is a thumb tack to use them. Just pierce a hole and pop the brad through!

Here's the pic:
layout_posts_005.JPG

haveyoumetmark

All of this information and all of these pages make me want to start up scrapbooking again. Maybe I will since it's summer and I will have a lot of free time. I am such an amateur compared to some of you guys though. Wow, great DTD page Disneyfalcon. Oh, and it looks like some of you are going to Europe. I am going to Europe 2007 guys. Very cool. :) I won't be backpacking, but I will be all over the place. I can't wait until July.

Disneyfalcon

Come to the dark side snoble!

It's easy. Start with a specific subject or trip (like WDW of course). Get an album, colored paper, a trimmer, and adhesive and you're set!! Add whatever you want or just have pictures, colored paper and some journaling.

Kristi Kay

Original Poster
you guys make me want to start scrapbooking!!!!!! But I have no idea where to start:cry: :cry:

Oh, it's really not hard...I think people just get overwhelmed...here is a quick breakdown. (I'm starting basic basic, so some of this may seem obvious if you have any experience)

Starting Scrabook Tools:
1. Tape or A Tape Runner http://www.addictedtoscrapbooking.com/ProductDetail?SKU=6-758-729398
2.Paper Trimmer
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/fiskars9.html
3. Cardstock
4. Disney Embelishments
http://www.mousememories.com/Disney-Characters-Parks-And-Resorts_278.aspx

1. Find all your photographs from the trip you want to scrapbook.
2. Break it down into Piles, for Page Themes. Ex: All Mickey Pics or Princess Pics, All Resort Pics or DTD Pics...however you want them.
3. Don't start stressing out b/c you have so many pics. Just grab your first Pile and trim them (with a paper trimmer) so they will fit on the page nicely.
4. Then I like to use colors from the picture for insipration for my paper color choices.
5. For example, If I were doing a page on Cinderella. I might use a light blue (to match her dress) as the main 12x12 background page, then I would mat all of my photographs in a pink or silver or both. It's simple, quick and looks nice and sharp.
6.Then you need to add a title somewhere on your page. You can make a title with stickers or with a dye cut machine.
7. Alot of times, I like to Journal. It's a good thing b/c you forget some really fun stuff about your trip a couple years down the road. I like to type/write our anywhere from 3-10 sentences about what was going on while those picutres were taken.
8. Add embelishments, if you want. They can range from You park Pass, to Fast Pass, to Park Maps, to disney stickers to expensive embelishments....
9. Wa-la...Page one is DONE!!!
10. Move on to Picture Pile 2.

Every single one of, we may not admit it, use other peoples ideas....Someone else posted this site several weeks ago w/ fantastic layout...take any of these ideas and make them your own....
http://twopeasinabucket.kaboose.com/pg.asp?cmd=cat_display&gallery=1&category_id=118&pg=70

GOOD LUCK!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

k.hunter30

k. hunter, I just noticed your Europe 2008 and back to Disney 2009....I'm hitting Europe 2008, as well....

One of the girls from my college program and I are backpacking it next summer....Are you backpacking as well?

I guess that will be something else to scrapbook....lol
We're actually not sure where we'll be going yet - but definitely not backpacking. I would have loved to do that in college when money was really tight, but I think we'll go the hotel route this trip.

Dh has never been to Europe so it'll be hard to narrow our options down. While I'd love to go somewhere I've never been and share a new experience with him, I REALLY love the places I have been and would love to go back. I guess we'll see...:shrug: Will you be seeing a lot of the countries?

Thanks by the way for starting the scrapbooking craze on WDWMagic! I'm loving it!

Kristi Kay

Original Poster
I would love to take the luxurious hotel route, but I want to tackle EVERYTHING and the only possible way to do it, is backpacking....maybe even spending a couple nights in the train stations...We are hitting Paris, Nice, Aix-en-Provence, Beaujolais, Disneland Paris(of course!!!), Madrid, Barcelona, Pamplona, Valencia, London, Salisbury, Edinbourg, Dublin, Amsterdam, Brussels, Zurich, Berlin, Munich, Prague, Athens Crete, Corfu, Vienna, Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Tuscany, Pisa and Casablanca Morocco b/c another friend from our CP lives there....We also want to hit some small towns and experience life as a local, not just the touristy stuff. We are going to try to cover all this in one month....we’re ambitious...lol.

You’re Welcome for the thread! I’m ecstatic that I’ve gotten to opportunity to meet other crazed Disney Scrapbookers....all my friends think my scrapbooking is crazy, so you guys are great for me and I love the calibration of ideas!

k.hunter30

I went to JoAnn's yesterday and they had some great stuff on sale. They had the scrapbook paper stacks (180 pages) on sale for $9.88 (usually around $20) as wells as quite a bit of embellishments. They'll have the summer paper stacks on sale next week for $9.88.

Seemed like a good deal to me! Just wanted to let y'all know!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom