Scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Just got back from an awesome week at WDW. Stayed at Pop Century and was really impressed by everything...except one. I liked the transportation system (the logistics of it all are mindblowing), but why does someone with a scooter take precedence over everyone else waiting in line for the bus to the park. I'm all for people who really need assistance getting on first, but then the whole group with them gets on as well (in one case there was the person on the scooter + 10 friends/relatives), meaning that people who have been waiting in line for 5-10 minutes now have to wait another 5-10 minutes (at least). I remember one night (around 9:00) waiting with my wife and two kids (5 & 7) in line for a bus when a scooter pulled up. The lady on the scooter started going on about how it was good that they get on the bus first since she was "spent" from a day in the park. Meanwhile, all of us had been walking for about 10 hours. Again, I don't want to come across as cold-hearted. I know some people really do need assistance and should get on first, but I also think some people may be taking advantage of the system. :shrug:

disney-dan

When I was there 2nd to 16th of this month we had my 80yr old Nan in a wheelchair with us. Other than the person pushing her we all had to wait while the driver was done strapping her in and go to the back of the queue

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
popcorn.gif

*waits*

Figment1986

Uusually if its a small group they will have the get on to help as not to sepetate them, Larger groups may and can get seperated on the bus or even end up on the next bus. it is just a common courtesey. I hope this helps.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wow... 5 more minutes of your life spent waiting in order to accommodate someone who has a lifetime of disability. :(

Jerm

Wow over an hour and it is still not locked....must be a Sunday. I would guess tomorrow by 10am it will be locked.

figmentmom

I would rather wait for another bus, and be temporarily and briefly inconvenienced, than be physically challenged and have to depend on a scooter to get around.

Count your blessings.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Wow... 5 more minutes of your life spent waiting in order to accommodate someone who has a lifetime of disability. :(

I don't think you're understanding what my issue was. As I said before, people who legit need help should get on first. My issue was the 10 healthy people tagging along with them who get on at the same time. Look at Pirate Dan's earlier post. To me that way of boarding makes more sense.

Also, as an FYI, I've had two surgeries on my foot (and am waiting for a third), so I'm in pain most of the time doing just "normal" walking, so doing 8 - 10 hours of walking a day is really painful.

Montyboy

Hijack

Have any of you seen the movie "Galaxy Quest" with Tim Allen and Sam Rockwell? What's your favorite line from that movie?

Mine are:

"Has Alexander had his nervous breakdown yet?" by Commander Taggart
or
"Have you ever seen the show?" by Guy

NEmickeyfan

Yes, there are people who legitimately need help getting on the bus and should be able to do so first. Yes, there are others who abuse the system. This is a tired, worn out discussion topic of which there will be no agreement..... and should be closed.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Yes, there are people who legitimately need help getting on the bus and should be able to do so first. Yes, there are others who abuse the system. This is a tired, worn out discussion topic of which there will be no agreement..... and should be closed.

I wasn't really expecting agreement, just discussion. I'm new here and wasn't aware this has been a previous discussion thread.

GrowingUpDisney

I am reluctant to respond, but feel compelled so here goes:

Those in wheelchairs / scooters are some times just as inconvenienced as those walking. I somewhat see your point, but you must also consider that only two scooters can board a bus at the same time. This means that there is MUCH MORE space on that bus to accomodate those who walk. Last April, my dad, who looks extremely normal but has multiple dibillitating conditions, waited 75 minutes on a bus from DS to MK. Each time a bus came there were already two scooters on and he could not board. We, his family, had to wait with him. I only told this story to show that sometimes the scooter people are inconvenienced, too.

In addition, Jan and Feb 2007 was a very eye opening period for me. My job requires much travel and lots of walking. This particular time period was especially tough because I was 7 mo pregnant and have contractions. My options were bedrest and no more travel or A SCOOTER. I chose the scooter. I quickly realized what it was like to live with a disability. Mine was not permanent, but the normal every day things that become so difficult is amazing. I can not imagine having to navigate that difficulty alone.

I would definately rather let a whole bus of relatives join a friend / family member in a wheelchair than to ever have to experience that again in my life.

You never know how that feels until you have been there. I actually feel blessed to have walked a few feet in the shoes of a disabled person. I have a renewed respect for them and I now stop and think before I judge. :)

Niki

PhotoDave219

Exactly. I paid thousands of dollars, so i shouldn't have scooters cutting in front of me.

Disney needs Handicapped Only busses running the routes as well. That would solve everyones problem.

wvdisneyfamily

I would rather wait for another bus, and be temporarily and briefly inconvenienced, than be physically challenged and have to depend on a scooter to get around.

Count your blessings.

You said it! When I get upset because I have to wait, I remind myself that it could be worse - I could be the one unable to wait.
As for those that abuse the system...If people abuse the system, they are the ones that ultimately have to deal with it when they lay their head down at night. If a guilty conscience doesn't get them, karma will. I've let others that are rule-breakers have a negative impact on my trip. You know what though? They are really not worth it. It's easy to stay calm now when it isn't happening to me. However, I decided after my trip in 2007 when I let the actions of others have me in tears at the happies place on Earth that it was ridiculous to get that upset over things I can't control.

Jerm

Wow I spoke to soon, this might not make it through the day!

Should we also add in that they were using old refilable mugs from a different resort?

gwhb75

Original Poster
You said it! When I get upset because I have to wait, I remind myself that it could be worse - I could be the one unable to wait.
As for those that abuse the system...If people abuse the system, they are the ones that ultimately have to deal with it when they lay their head down at night. If a guilty conscience doesn't get them, karma will. I've let others that are rule-breakers have a negative impact on my trip. You know what though? They are really not worth it. However, I decided after my trip in 2007 when I let the actions of others have me in tears at the happies place on Earth that it was ridiculous to get that upset over things I can't control.

I completely agree. It wasn't that I was extremly upset about it. It was more something that I saw as a potential area of improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom