Scared of coasters...help

hls1023

I'm pretty scared of roller coasters. I went on BTMR with my husband and that was okay. We are going in Nov. and I'm debating on whether I want to try Space Mountain and EE. Not really into the big "drops" Do any of these coasters have big drops in them?:veryconfu

nckid110

I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to drops also. I do ride Splash because my husband loves it and I love the music and the story. I am usually shaking like a leaf when I get on in anticipation of the drop. Space Mountain is not a problem for me, the drops aren't bad enough. I liked EE. Although it has a large drop (and I was very nervous the first time I rode it) the drop is on a curve and you don't get that horrible straight down feeling. The backwards drop is on a curve also and to me didn't feel like a real drop. I have also ridden RnR. There are no drops in this ride, just upside down. Because it is in the dark you barely know you are upside down. I am not crazy about the launch but after that it is a piece of cake. Very smooth! There is no way I will get on ToT. I would love to see the ride, just don't want to do that free fall.

On a side note, we will be going to Universal this time for a day. How is the Mummy in comparison to the Disney coasters? I am always worried riding something for the first time. Are there large drops? I think I remember reading that is a launch type like RnR. How does it compare to RnR?

The mummy ride isn't that bad it does go backwards but its a really small drop then it launches its at about a 45 degree angle the launch in the mummy ride is 40mph and RnR is 57 so there is a difference between the two. On the mummy after the launch it becomes a roller coaster part with turns and a couple drops no loops. Its a pretty mild ride except the effects make it a little more thrilling I know the fire blasting on the ceiling startled me but that's pretty much it.

Upvote 0

frankd1962

I love coasters and the ex hated them.

But she started to warm up to them slowly and anytime she went to WDW she tried a new one as well as go on the ones she already did. She tried BTMRR first and loved that then did SM. She got as far as the launch for RnRC then saw how fast it took off then chickened out. She did try Barnstormer.

All I can say is start with BTMRR and SM then see what you might try next time you go. Even better google some of the coasters in the video section and see if there are videos of them. I know that EE is there, RnRC is but very dark and I forgot what else is there but watch and see if you might want to try them.

Upvote 0

hls1023

Original Poster
I love coasters and the ex hated them.

But she started to warm up to them slowly and anytime she went to WDW she tried a new one as well as go on the ones she already did. She tried BTMRR first and loved that then did SM. She got as far as the launch for RnRC then saw how fast it took off then chickened out. She did try Barnstormer.

All I can say is start with BTMRR and SM then see what you might try next time you go. Even better google some of the coasters in the video section and see if there are videos of them. I know that EE is there, RnRC is but very dark and I forgot what else is there but watch and see if you might want to try them.

When I go in November I plan on riding BTMR and maybe SM. There is no way that I would ride RNRC, only cause I don't like anything that goes upside down.......and I'm chickensh*t. :eek:

Upvote 0

hansel1

I was nervous about RNR. I get nauseated fairly easy.

I thought RNR was actually pretty fun. The sound speakers keep you from freaking out while calming you through the ride. I swear that I didn't even notice the upside down part. There is a nice cool breeze blowing in your face the whole time.

For any beginner coaster fan, I would recommend RNR as your first upside down coaster.

Space mountain was very jerky. I have ridden both sides and am not sure which is which, but one side is worse than the other.

Thunder mountain: Love it!

Expedition Everest: I will never get on that thing again as long as I live! The first time I rode it the ride stopped at the top before the cave and we had to walk down through the mountain. The second time the ride went as planned, and let me tell you that once your train starts backwards.....all hell breaks loose. (Total darkness, backwards drop, stop, forward high G's drop, and then a big smelly monster tries to kill you).

Upvote 0

MrsPortiaB

I'll probably never ride RNRC or anything like that but I at least would like to get over my fear of roller coasters in general. I feel bad for my husband cause he always goes on them by himself. He would never make me do something I didn't want to. I want to do this for myself. :)

You and I have a lot in common in this department. I have what I call "drop-phobia," I don't seem to like them any more then you do. I made my husband go on Test Track and Mission Space all by himself too. I handled pretty well on BTMR too and I actually enjoyed Kali River Rapids too.

Here's what I hope will be great advice for you:

I wrote in to the "Ask Anita" column over at allearsnet.com regarding my fears about drops...I was a little freaked out by the drop in Pirates...I thought it was much smaller when I was younger but apparently I was wrong. I asked her specifically which rides she thought I should avoid and she was so thoughtful in her response. Here's a direct link: http://allearsnet.com/aa/aa102306.htm#ques5

Upvote 0

I'm scared of roller coasters too. Disney is the exception. I don't know what it is but I love going on Disney coasters! Rockn Rollercoaster, Big Thunder, Everest, California Screamin' - I don't know what it is but I just don't get scared on them and they are in fact some of my favorite rides in the parks! Any other theme park, you cannot pay me to go on a rollercoaster. Disney is just different. My advice is even if you're scared of them usually, go ahead and try one. They ride so smoothly that they don't feel like a rollercoaster.

Upvote 0

Dawnzy

I'm scared of roller coasters too. Disney is the exception. I don't know what it is but I love going on Disney coasters! Rockn Rollercoaster, Big Thunder, Everest, California Screamin' - I don't know what it is but I just don't get scared on them and they are in fact some of my favorite rides in the parks! Any other theme park, you cannot pay me to go on a rollercoaster. Disney is just different. My advice is even if you're scared of them usually, go ahead and try one. They ride so smoothly that they don't feel like a rollercoaster.
WOW! Icould have wrote that :) The thought of going on an outside of Disney rollercoaster freaks me out, maybe someday I'll get up the nerve:eek: In 2001 we went to Universal and I bought myself an Official Coaster Chicken pin then 2 years later I got up the nerve to try RNRC,BTM, Space Mt. and Splash! I even did EE last Dec, what a rush. I'm no longer a Coaster Chicken, at least not in WDW:lol:

Upvote 0

hls1023

Original Poster
You and I have a lot in common in this department. I have what I call "drop-phobia," I don't seem to like them any more then you do. I made my husband go on Test Track and Mission Space all by himself too. I handled pretty well on BTMR too and I actually enjoyed Kali River Rapids too.

Here's what I hope will be great advice for you:

I wrote in to the "Ask Anita" column over at allearsnet.com regarding my fears about drops...I was a little freaked out by the drop in Pirates...I thought it was much smaller when I was younger but apparently I was wrong. I asked her specifically which rides she thought I should avoid and she was so thoughtful in her response. Here's a direct link: http://allearsnet.com/aa/aa102306.htm#ques5

Thanks so much for your email. The article was very informative. I'm having a hard time deciding if I'm going to ride SM or not. The whole "in the dark" thing kinda freaks me out. Only because, like it says in the article, can make the whole thing that much more intense.
Isn't it funny that the stuff that scares the heck out of you and I, people actually go out of their way to seek? :animwink:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom