SCAD project about club at DTD.....

AREM

Original Poster
The biggest problem I see with this is the fact that 15 year olds don't have a drivers license which really limits their ability to get there. I don't a place designed where parents will have to drop them off and pick them up (traffic there is already bad enough). And is there a curfew for underage in Florida? Not sure about that since I don't live there. I just can't imagine 15-17 year olds being able to stay at DTD until 2 or 3 in the morning.
Also there's alot of speculation that one of the reasons the clubs closed was because of problems with the young crowd. So I can't imagine them opening themselves up for more of this.

:shrug:

Excellent point. Maybe they could keep the theming and idea, and the restaurant idea.

Does anyone know where the rumored Princess and the Frog restaurant was gonna go? Possibly Downtown Disney? Magic Kingdom?

_Scar

I'm a teenager... I know all types of people at my high school. So, this post is basically a hypothesis I've come up with judging by what I know about the teens around me. This would never entice them. I don't think they know much about the Jungle Book either since it predates them 20 something years and isn't touted as much as other Disney films. Radio Disney is also another key factor to why I don't think kids would want to come. How much variety is on Disney Radio? Jonas, Miley, Selena, repeat? Plus, to top this off, I've been to teen parties.... I don't think the kind of dancing I've seen at parties is suitable ESPECIALLY if a 20 year old dances with a 15 year old doing the same style. I think most know what style I'm talking about too.... :D

rebecca06261

As a brief, yet former student of SCAD, I can attest that there is a partnership- many of the artists who are contracted with WDI are recruited from SCAD and other premier art schools throughout the country. I'm not certain how formal the partnership is, though. Also, we were often given hypothetical new businesses to design and create, but the initial assignment was never more than a professor's idea that he pulled out of the old hat-box.

Who's to say that the professor isn't a former WDI employee who is still unofficially imagineering?? Don't forget that it wasn't but a little over a year ago that the art department lost over 1/2 of their creative staff. Perhaps he moved on (sorta kinda but not really... just a thought.)

Point is, I don't think the club the OP is describing will actually make its way to dtd. It doesn't have alcohol to induce tab-creating patrons and kids 15-20 can't afford to spend $6-$10 per fruity drink, plus a cover-charge. OMG and can you imagine all of the newly created ______ offenders the state of Florida would be pushing through the courts??? (FYI, in the state of FL, it's considered a Felony for a 18 year-old to have ______ with a minor under the age of 17.) Nope- don't see it happening. ***edited to add that __________ is bleeping ex with an s at the beginning:rolleyes:

lazyboy97o

Many of the architecture professors at my school assign projects using the real world for the basis of projects all the time. For example, assigning the class to design an apartment complex for a site that is slated to actually receive an apartment complex. It all just sounds like a competition or studio assignment.

tampabrad

Not gonna happen, or I hope it doesn't happen.

1. I doubt many kids that age know or care about the jungle book. I doubt they know that King Louie had a bar in Tail Spin.

2. To keep a non alcoholic bar opened is a heafty cover and high prices for soda and juice.

3. Do kids 15-20 actually listen to Radio Disney, I thought that was more 6-13.

4. I don't think you can be in DTD after a certain hour under a certain age without a parent or guardian.

5. Family Friendly does not mean torturing parents with Miley/Jonas while the 15 year old daughter gets hit on by the 20 year old orlando guy.

6. Disneyworld does not need to build a place for the local prostiteens to start hanging out.

BigB911

IMHO, I think that this is a feasable idea as long as some restrictions are in place. For example, I feel the maximum age should be 18. There should be security restrictions in place. And, there should be "no adults allowed." This would be great for families with teens where mom and dad want to have an adults only dinner. The parent or guardian would sign the child in, pay the cover, and the load up a card similar to what is distributed in the arcades. Both kids and parents would have to wear a wrist band, and the kids would not be permitted to leave unless they are signed out to the adult with the matching wrist band. As long as these restrictions are in place, I think it's a fantastic idea.

_Scar

IMHO, I think that this is a feasable idea as long as some restrictions are in place. For example, I feel the maximum age should be 18. There should be security restrictions in place. And, there should be "no adults allowed." This would be great for families with teens where mom and dad want to have an adults only dinner. The parent or guardian would sign the child in, pay the cover, and the load up a card similar to what is distributed in the arcades. Both kids and parents would have to wear a wrist band, and the kids would not be permitted to leave unless they are signed out to the adult with the matching wrist band. As long as these restrictions are in place, I think it's a fantastic idea.

I don't think this idea would work.... this isn't day care. :lookaroun

toolsnspools

I've never been on a Disney Cruise, but don't they have a teen "hang out" in one of the smoke stacks? Perhaps a similar idea but based on land. It makes it a lot harder to manage who is coming and going, but it would give the teens a place to go when mom and dad want to shop for new Mickey sweatshirts, or have a few drinks at the adult bar. Sounds plausible to me, and if CityWalk already has one, then I'm sure the idea has at least been investigated.

sittle

I have a friend who is going to art and design school in Savannah, and I just got off the phone with him, and he told me that a bunch of the students are working with WDI to design the interior and decorate a new night club venue.

DISCLAIMER

Please, do not flame me. I am only relaying what he told me. Take it with a grain of salt.

He told me that some of the students are working with WDI on a new night club that is being put into DTD. It will be a restaurant/night club for kids. Ages 15-20. No alcohol, but still with a dance floor, and a bar featuring all sorts of virgin drinks.

And the name of this kids club? King Louis'. The theme? Jungle Book. Lots of jungle themes. Very retro, very Rat Pack meets the Jungle Book. And the dance floor will be pumped full of Radio Disney tunes, and other kid friendly fair.

Its certainly in line with the more 'family friendly' theme that they wanted for Pleasure Island.

What do you guys make of this? Sound plausible?

While the Art & Design School in Savannah is a well reknown school... it is doubtful that a major company such as Disney would work with rank and file amateurs (yes, they are well trained students, but until you pay your bills with your skills you're an amateur)... It's most likely that it's a simulation, or that Disney is working with one of their instructors who is deciding to pass this on to his class as a bona fide project to test his students...

I'm sure Disney has some interior designers and engineers quite capable of the task..

DizFanatic

Thanks for the tip Arem. I think it would be cool if they have an adult club(s) also so teens can hang in their spot & mom/dad can do their thing too. Like the cruise ships with teen clubs.

I think it makes sense to get young design students involved it you want the place to appeal to a young crowd.

I guess well have to wait and see if this comes to be. Keep us posted if you hear any more news on this.

scpergj

While the Art & Design School in Savannah is a well reknown school... it is doubtful that a major company such as Disney would work with rank and file amateurs (yes, they are well trained students, but until you pay your bills with your skills you're an amateur)... It's most likely that it's a simulation, or that Disney is working with one of their instructors who is deciding to pass this on to his class as a bona fide project to test his students...

I'm sure Disney has some interior designers and engineers quite capable of the task..

While I'm not sure of the accuracy of this rumour (NOT a problem with the OP, they even stated they were unsure), it is NOT unknown for a major company to work with a design college for future projects. It is well known among automotive circles that some of the design schools have projects sponsored by automotive companies - I know definitley Ford and GM sponsor prizes or workshops; they use the schools to spot future design trends and to stay ahead of the curve. While this may turn out not to be this case this time, it is still not unusual.

captain marvel1

I very much doubt that would happen. I think he wanted to see how many people would actually fall for it. Have your friend create a account on here and post proof if he actually has any.

PhotoDave219

I have a friend who is going to art and design school in Savannah, and I just got off the phone with him, and he told me that a bunch of the students are working with WDI to design the interior and decorate a new night club venue.

What do you guys make of this? Sound plausible?

I think its just a class project..... SCAD does not impress me....

SoccerMickey

I am up for anything Jungle Book-related thing to open up shop here but I don't see it happening due to many factors. PI opened with an under-21 club that was an operational nightmare.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
SCAD does not impress me

It's not a bad school... I have plenty of colleagues who studied there and they do good work. Personally I'd be more impressed with RISD or Yale Art... as well as finding a WDI collaboration more likely with them.

I'll call some of my colleagues in Savannah and ask them what they think. I just feel that WDI would be more likely to either stay local (CalArts/Otis/UCF/Rollins) or go to the best of the best (RISD).

agent86

I very much doubt that would happen. I think he wanted to see how many people would actually fall for it. Have your friend create a account on here and post proof if he actually has any.

When pressed, the OP admitted his friend might have been lying. I'd say that's likely the case. Case closed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom