Saving Mr. Banks. Going to see it or not?

Magenta Panther

Dissing and hating a film based off a predisposed bias? Now that doesn't sound cool at all o_O.

Yeah. About that. I saw "Frozen" last weekend too. I just forgot to mention it. Wonder why? Anyhoo, my review is in the "Your Review of Frozen" thread. If you'd care to read it. But be warned:

SPOILERS

I pretty much rip it a new one. :D

Tony Perkis

Very good movie, and Emma Thompson was exceptional in it. I feel like there's a greater story in here somewhere if Disney let the screenwriter and director go a bit deeper into their characterization of Walt Disney. Otherwise, there's just a bit too much wholesomeness and not enough of the shrewd businessman on display here.

Magenta Panther

Very good movie, and Emma Thompson was exceptional in it. I feel like there's a greater story in here somewhere if Disney let the screenwriter and director go a bit deeper into their characterization of Walt Disney. Otherwise, there's just a bit too much wholesomeness and not enough of the shrewd businessman on display here.

Well, Walt was the dreamer. Roy was the shrewd businessman.

Sped2424

Yeah. About that. I saw "Frozen" last weekend too. I just forgot to mention it. Wonder why? Anyhoo, my review is in the "Your Review of Frozen" thread. If you'd care to read it. But be warned:

SPOILERS

I pretty much rip it a new one. :D
your review sounded not to different from your thoughts on the film a couple months ago, like I said you went in wanting to hate this film and well you went the whole way nit picking for whatever you thought was a critique. But thankfully your words don't have any affect on its critical and commercial success (Which by the way it is receiving both wonderfully:)) so at the end of the day it isn't doing anything to hurt the soon to be Disney classic that is Frozen! I liked your thoughts on get a horse though! As always its been a pleasure Panther!

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

your review sounded not to different from your thoughts on the film a couple months ago, like I said you went in wanting to hate this film and well you went the whole way nit picking for whatever you thought was a critique. But thankfully your words don't have any affect on its critical and commercial success (Which by the way it is receiving both wonderfully:)) so at the end of the day it isn't doing anything to hurt the soon to be Disney classic that is Frozen! I liked your thoughts on get a horse though! As always its been a pleasure Panther!

Yeah, sure, I was biased, that's why I didn't like the film. I wasted 12 bucks so I could hate it. Right. :rolleyes: I wasted 12 bucks to give it a chance. Okay? And as to the film's success - I take it you liked the booger joke? Well, I guess Diz has found its new audience. :p And of course it didn't hurt that there are no other family films out right now, and it's a cartoon with snow in it at Christmas. Disney's marketing department timed it just right. And good for them! I'm glad it's a success. I just wish it wasn't a pandering polemic to political correctness. I suppose, given that, it's amazing that it's as entertaining as it is.

Sped2424

Yeah, sure, I was biased, that's why I didn't like the film. I wasted 12 bucks so I could hate it. Right. :rolleyes: I wasted 12 bucks to give it a chance. Okay? And as to the film's success - I take it you liked the booger joke? Well, I guess Diz has found its new audience. :p And of course it didn't hurt that there are no other family films out right now, and it's a cartoon with snow in it at Christmas. Disney's marketing department timed it just right. And good for them! I'm glad it's a success. I just wish it wasn't a pandering polemic to political correctness. I suppose, given that, it's amazing that it's as entertaining as it is.
I mean you have a pretty good track record when it comes down to it...And if you think kung fu panda was anywhere near better in terms of animation, entertainment, or anything else then well I don't think your case became that believable. Also the booger joke had a disclaimer for folks that easily get offended! It was in the credits ;)

Skipper Dan

Oh, I might just go back anyway. ;)

Just to add a few thoughts: The period touches bring BOTH eras alive wonderfully, and I laughed out loud at several points. (I laughed harder at this movie than at anything in Anchorman 2, which I saw right after. That's both a credit to this script and a reflection of the bland writing in the Anchorman sequel, but I digress.)

My favorite line in the whole film is Travers' quip directed at Mickey. I won't spoil the line, but it's so...British, and fairly subversive for something in an actual Disney movie!

Hanks as Walt I struggled with a bit. I don't think it's Hanks' fault so much as that playing a face on Mt. Rushmore is just an inherent challenge. I thought he did an admirable job with the vocal inflections and mannerisms, but the character only really came alive to me in his conversation with Travers near the end of the movie.

Read through this whole thread, and your last sentence spoke my thoughts on Hanks so perfectly, I hit 'reply'.

That's exactly how I felt. Through the whole movie -- which I felt was a monumentally fantastic film, and not just because I'm a Walt enthusiast -- I said, 'This is Tom Hanks, pretending to be Walt', but during that conversation with Mrs., it all melted away. It was as if Walt spoke through him.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I waswonderingif you could share the final message? I caught most of the credits but had to leave before the very end

OMG, Tim, HI!!!! Haven't seen you round here in ages! Where've you been?? DHS 25th anniversary coming up, met you at Epcot's 30th...

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I've made a plan for New Year's Day: hubby and I will go to local "lifestyle mall", see Frozen on matinee, eat lunch at trendy restaurant; see Saving Mr. Banks, eat dinner at trendy restaurant. :)

HatboxGhost

Well, my Wife and I went to go see the film and really liked it. I need to go see it again because I always hype myself up and get clouded in the excitement of seeing films. Going back a second time lets me see the film in a clearer way if you guys know what I mean. I really don't think the general public knows EXACTLY what they are in for so there will be a lot of people who wont like it...expecting more of a happy Disney film. I actually haven't seen Mary Poppins since I was a child so there were little things that I didn't quite get. My Wife, however is a HUGE fan and knew exactly what was going on. I wont give spoilers however we LOVED the end credits....really interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom