Save the Adventurers Club

Captain Hank

^ Thanks! I had wondered why that tower was there. Did it serve any practical purpose--like a security lookout or anything, or a place for lighting techs?

Rob562

^ Thanks! I had wondered why that tower was there. Did it serve any practical purpose--like a security lookout or anything, or a place for lighting techs?

I'd never really paid attention to its purpose before, but looking at the photo I'd say it was the tech booth for the former stage there at the intersection that was removed to install the PI boat dock. The large window faces right toward it.

Its removal kinda makes sense, with no stage there's no real need for the accompanying tech booth.

-Rob

EPCOTPluto

Here is a sparknotes version of it...

For the most comprehensive look at the Pleasure Island backstory, check this out: http://www.mouseplanet.com/9044/The_Complete_Pleasure_Island_Plaques

It has a transcript of every one of the original Pleasure Island plaques.
Wow. :eek:

TheMoreYouKnow.gif

EpcotServo

For the most comprehensive look at the Pleasure Island backstory, check this out: http://www.mouseplanet.com/9044/The_Complete_Pleasure_Island_Plaques

It has a transcript of every one of the original Pleasure Island plaques.

Regarding the last plaque--"Lookout Point"--where was that located on the island?

Seriously-The Typhoon Lagoon/Pleasure Island/MGM Studios expansion and era is the best in the history of Disney World for me. All three have nostalgia, wild design, grand stories, subversive comedy, witty writing, and above all a sense of character. Typhoon Lagoon and Studios have been able to keep their history, sense of place, and character, but how they ran Pleasure Island into the ground by letting the show go to pieces is a tragedy.

(Also, I want to help write the book "The Complete and Purely Subjective History of Pleasure Island."...I love that line. :lol: )

Captain Hank

I'd never really paid attention to its purpose before, but looking at the photo I'd say it was the tech booth for the former stage there at the intersection that was removed to install the PI boat dock. The large window faces right toward it.

Its removal kinda makes sense, with no stage there's no real need for the accompanying tech booth.

-Rob
Ah, that does make sense. Thanks.

Okay, so I think we can all agree that there is absolutely no way that the Adventurers Club will return as it was. The giant scars on the walls of the Main Salon are proof enough of that. Maybe (hopefully) it will return someday in some form somewhere--and hopefully somewhere a lot closer than Hong Kong. Now, other beloved former attractions like Horizons, the original Universe of Energy and others have great webpages created in memory of them. However, the AC notably lacks a single, comprehensive place to find information. There are some AC fansites out there, but most haven't been updated since before the Club's closure was announced. I think we can and should go about fixing that--and should do it quickly, before information gets lost/forgotten.

What I'm envisioning is a site that includes comprehensive information on the club's backstory and characters, accurate scrips from as many of the shows as possible from over the years, photos and information about as many of the artifacts as possible, info about the music played at the Club, both during the shows and the BGM, pages on the merchandise--including photos, prices, etc., drink recipes and basically everything and anything about what made the Adventurers Club what it was. Perhaps also some more technical information could be included, including Club blueprints, information on how some of the illusions and effects were accomplished and the like. Perhaps it could be done as a Wiki. An AC Wiki already exists (http://advclub.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page) but it's woefully incomplete and I'm not a fan of how it's organized. If possible, I think the site should try to emulate the quirky atmosphere of the Club itself.

Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor resources, nor most of the information needed to accomplish this sort of thing myself. I've got a little bit of web design experience, but I'm sure I'm extremely out of date. Would anyone else out there be interested in contributing their time/expertise/knowledge towards giving the Adventurers Club as we knew it a proper memorial?

71jason

Capt. Hank, I know a long-time regular is in the process of putting together a website that basically matches up with what you are describing. If you private message me, I'd be happy to give you his contact info.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm liking these telegrams that keep turning up...

Attachments

• tELEGRAM%208%20dec0001.jpg
    tELEGRAM%208%20dec0001.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Telegram550001.jpg
    Telegram550001.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 86

Lee

Adventurer
Seeing as how they are dated 1937...I'm confused. Are you (or somebody) trying to say something here Lee?

Lee...I need to know where these came from...:D
These are part of a sort of viral campaign for Congaloosh 2010.
It seems they are going to use this method to reveal the locations and plans for next years event.
They can be found at the AC Yahoo group.
Way cool.:cool:

SirGoofy

These are part of a sort of viral campaign for Congaloosh 2010.
It seems they are going to use this method to reveal the locations and plans for next years event.
They can be found at the AC Yahoo group.
Way cool.:cool:

Very cool.

If only Disney could do some cool viral/ARG stuff.

Lee

Adventurer
Very cool.
Indeed.
I just re-read them both. The second one in my post was "found" first.
Looking for a new veune with the help of a "renowned adventurer"....Hmmmm.
East to West....a location on the west side of the property rather than the east.
Trip to Tibet....
I got me a hunch, and I like it.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom