Sanford Airport Considerations/ Allegiant Air

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm just looking for feedback on a couple things related to my next trip. I have previously always used MCO and then taken DME. I can initially save about $400 by using a smaller carrier I'm unfamiliar with and by flying into Sanford. My concerns are if baggage fees and transporation fees from Sanford to WDW is going to erase that savings. I usually fly SW which means no baggage fees for our 5 suitcases. Anyone have any experience with this carrier or traveling from Sanford to WDW via private transport? We won't be renting a car so it would be shuttle/ private transport.

Minthorne

Allegiant charters others planes, they don't maintain a fleet. I've had them cancel flights the day before. Last year they pulled out of a local airport and left a bunch of folks with reservations in a bind. They charge for bags and between that at the transportation costs from Sandford to WDW I think you may not see much savings. Add to that the airport is further away and I'd avoid Allegiant.

DisneyDelirious

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi,

Just FYI and consideration, a round trip with our towncar is $220.00 (gratuity not included).

Regards,

Gregory Nicolas.
I appreciate the response and the price quote. I know Quicksilver sponsors here so you are in my list of possibilities.

DisneyDelirious

Premium Member
Original Poster
Allegiant charters others planes, they don't maintain a fleet. I've had them cancel flights the day before. Last year they pulled out of a local airport and left a bunch of folks with reservations in a bind. They charge for bags and between that at the transportation costs from Sandford to WDW I think you may not see much savings. Add to that the airport is further away and I'd avoid Allegiant.
That is one of my primary concerns. They get terrible reviews for delays and unapologetic issues that monkey with folks "relaxing" vacations. I can deal with another airport easily enough, we are seasoned travelers. I just don't know of I trust their track record at Allegiant.

HollyAD

I have flown allegiant a few times with very good experiences. However, there are fees everywhere. If you have a carry on it was about $12. Checked bags in advance were at least $25 each way. Also, food and drink on the plane can be pricey. I really liked the airport in Sanford. It was small but very clean and nice. I have also seen pretty good rental car pricing through Sanford as well. We were lucky that we had a washer and dryer on vacation and didn't have to pack much. You can have a personal item such as a back pack go for free or purse of course. I was also lucky that no flights were delayed/ cancelled. We had early flights both ways.

bow0303

We have used Allegiant before flying into Sanford. No issues with cancelations or delays. They do charge per bag but we packed light so wasn't a huge issue. They have limited flights at least out of our city (flew only Thursday and Sunday). They will nickel and dime you with the fees but overall good prices. I would suggest booking your flight at the airport if possible as that will keep the fees down some but the rub there is that counter was only open for 3 hours and only on the day they had flights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom