San Angel vs. Coral Reef

MattyFresh

Original Poster
Ok so I know as far as the atmosphere goes, there is no way to compair the two. But all was full at CR until way after we wanted to eat. Like to eat early and be able to enjoy the rest of the night at the park. So we opted to take plan B and book at San Angel. Any thoughts about the two....is this an ok substitution?? I am hoping I can get lucky and keeping checking and a ressie will open up for the time we are looking for at CR.

harryk

Coral Reef has always been a disappointment for me and my family - i.e. too overrated. San Angel has always exceeded my expectations. All I find at the 'Reef' is the view of the fish swimming by - this is very relaxing but with the Volcano and the wait-staff at San Angel my family gets into a real 'Disney Mood' and has a wonderful time and an excellent meal.

The Reef may be worth a try now that Nemo and Friends are in residence - but the food falls short of expectations.

slappy magoo

I could swear a Coral Reef vs. San Angel thread was started a week or so ago. Granted, by someone else and for a different reason, but still, deja vish!

Anyway, I'll say now what (I think) I said then. I'd prefer San Angel. I'm not a big seafood fan (even though CR has steak & chicken) and I like Mexican. The prices are definitely not what most Mexican restaurants charge, whereas CR's prices are (around here anyway) in line with what many upscale seafood restaurants charge. But if it were up to me, I'd choose San Angel. Maybe, if possible, instead of trying to get an early dinner, try to get the latest possible lunch ADRs. It will be cheaper, you can always get a snack later on in the night...

stussy96

I'm a big seafood eater and, hands down, I love CR. Their lobster soup is amazing!

However, SA has an awesome atmosphere. I'm just not a big Mexican food fan.

happymom52003

We like to go to San Angel, but (and I know alot of people are going to disagree with me on this!) we do not find the food to be that great. But we are spoiled! We live in Texas, so we have access to amazing authentic Mexican food as well as Tex-Mex. No comparison in our opinion. We just go to San Angel for the atmosphere.

ilovepluto23

IMHO, I think San Angel and Coral Reef are equals. Neither of them really stand out in my mind, but they're pretty nice. I haven't been to San Angel since 2004, but the atmosphere is very nice and the food was good (not great). The tables are a little too close if you ask me.

I had dinner at Coral Reef in January this year and it was great. I don't understand the bad reviews it gets...it's very nice. Not amazing...but good. Atmosphere is great, and our server made the experience awesome! My blackened catfish was very good and spicy (I'm from the New Orleans area...love my spicy food!)

All in all, I'd say you can't go wrong with either restaurant. There's always the next trip to dine at Coral Reef! Enjoy your trip! :wave:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
San Angel is Epcots Sci Fi Drive in, the food is not as poor as people make out and the CMs and atmosphere make it an enjoyable venue.

PEOPLE

Testtrack321

Depends what you want, you can't go horribly wrong with either location. I loved the Coral Reef because I love fish (oh, and eating them too!) and I loved San Angela last time I was there because it's cool to people watch and see the boats go by.

Flip a coin, you can't go wrong. Who knows, maybe in a parallel dimension B someone will be going to the other resturanunt. :ROFLOL: *

*Free Slurm to who gets the reference

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom