Safari Changes

ToTBellHop

maybe it should become LR gets lost, everyone goes looking, LR is found, now enjoy our new gift shop...always been shocked that there isn't an exit gift shop there...they have the room...

the-reason14

This has probably already been answered in this thread, but Im to lazy to go looking, but um. Is this fact or rumor? And if its fact, when is this suppose to take place.

ToTBellHop

This has probably already been answered in this thread, but Im to lazy to go looking, but um. Is this fact or rumor? And if its fact, when is this suppose to take place.
it's a fact...the rumor is moreso what exactly will change, but it is generally accepted that there will be some degree of script change. The extra row of seats is confirmed...should be completed during the spring.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I really wish they'd eliminate the entire "story" element of the attraction. I agree with whoever said it would be much better if we just rode the safari vehicles, listening to a knowledgeable guide. The story always seemed really cheesy and contrived.

Jekyll_Baker

I really wish they'd eliminate the entire "story" element of the attraction. I agree with whoever said it would be much better if we just rode the safari vehicles, listening to a knowledgeable guide. The story always seemed really cheesy and contrived.

All of Disney's theme parks are "contrived" - it's just our suspension of disbelief and love of WD's ideas/ideals that makes the "magic" work.:)

I like the current story (and it was still the same when I last went Jan 22). I've never seen the racing jeep that's been mentioned:(. I'm sure it added some realism to the story. Also, I've never seen Wilson's hand either, I'll keep an eye out next time (if it's not too late).

I don't really think the conservation storylines used in AK are forced too much down our throats. And I too usually find "nature good/man bad" messages distasteful. AK does these messages tastefully while still being obvious, and use them to bring some extra excitement to some everyday rides. Each of the 2 main lands have there own message: Africa has anti-poaching (adding a poacher chase to its safari), and Asia has anti-deforestation (adding the fire effects to Kali, and the beautiful murals to the jungle trek).

I'm just surprised the DinoLand USA doesn't have a conservationist bent to it. Can't you just imagine: "If is wasn't for meteors and mammals evolving into man (the necessary anti-evolution message), dinosaurs could be roaming the earth right now!"

wishes

Wilson!

Hey guys!
I have been on the KSafaris a fair few times, but have never seen Wilson's hand! Can anyone tell me when this happens? Is it at the end when we see Little Red?!
:wave:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
4. Again not entirely confirmed, but Wilson will be in a jeep and his role "speaking" to Simba One may be reduced.

Jeeze I hope so.... Wilson and that chick annoy the hell out of me.

And does Wilson need to be so condescending: [Pfffft!] "We don’t call them Thompson’s Gazelles [dummy]! We call them Tommy’s... TOMMYS!"

Blech... shut up... we get it... jerk.

:lookaroun :lookaroun

Less Wilson.... and more music! Am I right here folks? :lol: :sohappy:

:lookaroun :lookaroun

Sadly it seems the original message of the 1998 AK is fading away. I will certainly miss the conservation theme and the KS storyline, however it's not like they're completely taking out the animals and replacing them with Nemo, Stitch, and Pooh. So things could certainly be worse :)

Frankly I would love it if they skipped the story altogether. Let me ride through it in peace and quiet. They can tell me if there is an animal to see but I am more annoyed by the silly story.

dxwwf3

Frankly I would love it if they skipped the story altogether. Let me ride through it in peace and quiet. They can tell me if there is an animal to see but I am more annoyed by the silly story.

There's nothing wrong with that opinion. KS is an attraction where I can easily see that viewpoint. I do happen to completely disagree, but this attraction would work without a back story. I think this is an exception to the rule, but KS is certainly an atypical theme park attraction.

the-reason14

Hey guys!
I have been on the KSafaris a fair few times, but have never seen Wilson's hand! Can anyone tell me when this happens? Is it at the end when we see Little Red?!
:wave:

Umm, I believe that you are right. I remember seeing his hand poking out of the helicopter at the end. Also to the person who answered my original question, thanks.

imagineersrock

They also need to take out that stupid rabbit story on Splash Mountain, and that lame flying to Mars story on Mission: Space, and that weird haunted hotel story in the Tower of Terror... :rolleyes:

Anybody can make a ride through some animal exhibits... what makes it Disney is the story they add to it.

Rob562

*Part* of the reason the ending happens the way it does is a logistical one. They need to have a way to get the trucks back to the unloading dock quickly after the end of the animal viewing areas. The road runs through a very narrow section of land between the train tracks, the walking trail and a couple of the backstage animal support buildings. There isn't room for any additional animals in that area.

Even measuring it in a totally straight line, it's 1/6 of a mile from where you re-enter the jungle to the unloading dock. I believe the top speed of the trucks is 12MPH. So at top speed, going in a straight line back to the loading dock after the last animal area (warthog?), that would be almost an entire minute of looking at absolutely nothing. Go slower than full-speed, and we're stretching it into 2 or 3 minutes of absolutely nothing to look at but foliage. Not exactly the final lasting impression that you want Guests to walk away with...

-Rob

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
They also need to take out that stupid rabbit story on Splash Mountain, and that lame flying to Mars story on Mission: Space, and that weird haunted hotel story in the Tower of Terror... :rolleyes:

Anybody can make a ride through some animal exhibits... what makes it Disney is the story they add to it.

The probem is that this is not an attraction that is screaming for a story to begin with. However, I do believe the story concept could work if done better. This story, though, is so poorly contrived and ridiculous, that yes, the attraction would ultimately be better without it.

kcnole

Some attractions need a story to be great, in some cases the story actually detracts from the attraction by feeling tacked on as it does in this case. A small story could work, but this one is too forced. I'd like to see the story changed to pretty much just being about the safari and drop the poacher theme all together. You could still have Wilson talking to our driver but every ride at Disney doesn't have to have something go wrong for us to fix.

ToTBellHop

you could drop the poacher story but still have a story to the ride...make it a more thrilling safari. I remember a description early on making it sound like the creaking bridge would be over the crocs...that woulda been more exciting. Or how about an ending like Rhino Rally? I'm not a huge fan of the rest of Rhino Rally, but the ending is cool--Disney coulda made something like that with better theming and an inability to see hoses.

imagineersrock

Some attractions need a story to be great, in some cases the story actually detracts from the attraction by feeling tacked on as it does in this case. A small story could work, but this one is too forced. I'd like to see the story changed to pretty much just being about the safari and drop the poacher theme all together. You could still have Wilson talking to our driver but every ride at Disney doesn't have to have something go wrong for us to fix.
Just sounds like some of you have never had a great driver...

The thing about Kilimanjaro Safaris is that it is unlike other rides where it's the same exact experience every time thanks to animatronics and pre-recorded spiels... These are real people putting on the show (much like GMR or Jungle Cruise.) The entire experience rests in the hands of this single person as to whether you walk off the ride saying "wow!" or "man that was lame."

I could see if you had a bad driver, the Wilson/poaching storyline could seem dumb or seen as an unnecessary plot. But if done correctly... Trust me, you'd never be able to imagine this ride without the story again.

fillerup

And does Wilson need to be so condescending: [Pfffft!] "We don’t call them Thompson’s Gazelles [dummy]! We call them Tommy’s... TOMMYS!"

That's pretty close, but it's actually "No one in Africa calls them Thompson's Gazelles - they are Tommies, Tommies!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom