RV Trip to Fort Wilderness

SapphireStorm

Hi all,

DH and I are tentatively planning to visit in 2019 or 2020 with my family. We have an RV that can sleep all of us, so we were considering driving down to WDW from MA and staying at an RV site in Fort Wilderness. Even though we would have to spend money on refueling, we like the idea of being able to cook our own meals and saving on the hotel. However, we have never attempted a road trip this long... Wondering if anyone with experience could offer some insight? Good idea/bad idea? Tips for RV trip and campsite? There would be six of us, all adults: me (25), DH, (23), mom (48), dad (49), sister (19), and brother (19).

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? lol. We all get along great- DH and I actually used to live with my family, so the whole close quarters thing really isn't an issue for us. As for parks, my thought is to get tickets to each park, but no park hopper, and just do one park a day. We've never stayed at WDW though; only visited MK for a day last year while staying at Universal.

Thanks to anyone with tips or helpful advice! :D

SeanWM48

the campground is beautiful and i stay there every time i go, although i use the cabins. a nice clean quiet place without neighbors on the other side of the wall like most other resorts. it is quite the escape especially after a long busy day at the parks. i could go on all day about fort wilderness.

others will have more info about traveling by the road and about staying in an actual campsite but i would at least keep in mind that you will not be getting roomservice. so bring lots of towels and things like that.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Go for it!

I have a 30' RV for my family of four. We've stayed at Fort Wilderness many times. We take it easy and usually drive down from Maryland to Savannah, GA the first day. Savannah to Orlando the second morning. In the summer we routinely drive from Maryland to the west coast in four days. Aim for 600-700 miles per day and launch before dawn.

I think a park a day without hoppers is a good plan. It's what we do.

Upvote 0

Driver

DW and I used to come down from RI every year, did it for fifteen yrs. Till we decided to sell the house and full time RV. We are FL residents now and live in our fifth wheel. FW was always our go to favorite place, and with six people a premium site is still a better value than two or more resort rooms. The shower facilities at FW are really good, always clean and will help to get people ready quicker in the morning vs using the RV shower. And last I'm a driver so the ride from RI to FL was never an issue. I had my designated fuel and bathroom stops and my one overnight stop. The halfway point for you is the Virginia / North Carolina Border. I always traveled 2 days as I was the only driver and driving around the clock is unsafe and when you arrive you are exhausted and not able to go to a park anyway. Stay off 95 ! The road is poorly maintained and has many back ups especially around big cities like in DC and areas in VA etc. If you want more detailed routing I can tell you what works for me, but I do typically use the trucking routes. There is good reason why all those trucks prefer these roads 😉. Good luck with your travels we love it!!!!

Upvote 0

Nemo14

DW and I used to come down from RI every year, did it for fifteen yrs. Till we decided to sell the house and full time RV. We are FL residents now and live in our fifth wheel. FW was always our go to favorite place, and with six people a premium site is still a better value than two or more resort rooms. The shower facilities at FW are really good, always clean and will help to get people ready quicker in the morning vs using the RV shower. And last I'm a driver so the ride from RI to FL was never an issue. I had my designated fuel and bathroom stops and my one overnight stop. The halfway point for you is the Virginia / North Carolina Border. I always traveled 2 days as I was the only driver and driving around the clock is unsafe and when you arrive you are exhausted and not able to go to a park anyway. Stay off 95 ! The road is poorly maintained and has many back ups especially around big cities like in DC and areas in VA etc. If you want more detailed routing I can tell you what works for me, but I do typically use the trucking routes. There is good reason why all those trucks prefer these roads 😉. Good luck with your travels we love it!!!!
We drive from RI and take I-84 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-4 to 417 to WDW

Upvote 0

Driver

We drive from RI and take I-84 to I-81 to I-77 to I-26 to I-95 to I-4 to 217 to WDW
That's not bad because you're picking up 95 in the south where it's actually pretty good compared to up north. But I like to p/u 75 right into FL the road and scenery are awesome and although it does take you slightly out of the way you make up for it by never having traffic jams. Also when I get into FL cutting across from 75 to I-4 is a breeze, it's only about 30 minutes. And I avoid the traffic back ups on I-4 in Orlando where the never ending construction is still going on with about another year or so to go!! They had an article in the Sentinel this week about all the insurance claims people put in for damages to their vehicles..... most are denied 😠

Upvote 0

Nemo14

That's why we take 417 off of 4, so we're never in Orlando traffic. Toll road, but well worth it. We did I-75 once with disastrous results around Atlanta, so we stick with the other way now.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Tips and stuff, almost forgot:

1. The sites are a combination concrete and sand pad surrounded by trees and shrubs for privacy. So bring lawn chairs and your picnic supplies so you can enjoy a cookout at your site. Bring bug repellent.
2. Each loop has it's own bath house/laundry facility and they are well-maintained and clean. The last time we visited the laundry was credit/debit only though. The bathhouse is great for getting 4 people ready to go simultaneously.
3. Stay in a Preferred loop, that will put you very close to the restaurants/entertainment and boat launch.
4. Bring your bicycles, it's super convenient to ride your bike to the boat launch area, bus depot, the Meadows pool and Wilderness Lodge. I can be a pain to rely on the internal bus system sometimes. Some people bring golf carts or rent them, but I'm a very mean person and judge them for being like the human characters in WALL-E......
5. You can catch MK fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant from the FW beach.
6. Take advantage of the boats! Use them to get to MK and the monorail resorts.
7. Try the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at least once in your life. I think it's one of the most classic WDW entertainment experiences that's still around and the food is not bad.
8. Get breakfast at Trails End. Almost never a wait. Pog and mickey waffles!!!!!
9. You can get souvenirs you buy in the parks sent back to the resort. They hold them for you at the Meadows gift shop. I always take advantage of this.
10. It's very pet friendly. We have two dogs and always bring them with us (saves the cost of boarding). There's a big dog park near the 300 loop. My dogs loved to play there before they became geriatric. I think it costs us an extra $5 per day, but you're limited to two dogs and you should tell them about the dogs both when you make your reservation and when you check-in.
11. The hookups are good/well-maintained and the sites are physically clean.
12. There are a ton of recreational activities that aren't available at the other resorts.

I could write an epic poem about Fort Wilderness...

Upvote 0

Driver

That's why we take 417 off of 4, so we're never in Orlando traffic. Toll road, but well worth it. We did I-75 once with disastrous results around Atlanta, so we stick with the other way now.
Yeah Atlanta is manageable if you take the bypass. My son lives just north of there so when we visit we go around Atlanta "off peak"

Upvote 0

SapphireStorm

Original Poster

1. The sites are a combination concrete and sand pad surrounded by trees and shrubs for privacy. So bring lawn chairs and your picnic supplies so you can enjoy a cookout at your site. Bring bug repellent.
2. Each loop has it's own bath house/laundry facility and they are well-maintained and clean. The last time we visited the laundry was credit/debit only though. The bathhouse is great for getting 4 people ready to go simultaneously.
3. Stay in a Preferred loop, that will put you very close to the restaurants/entertainment and boat launch.
4. Bring your bicycles, it's super convenient to ride your bike to the boat launch area, bus depot, the Meadows pool and Wilderness Lodge. I can be a pain to rely on the internal bus system sometimes. Some people bring golf carts or rent them, but I'm a very mean person and judge them for being like the human characters in WALL-E......
5. You can catch MK fireworks and the Electrical Water Pageant from the FW beach.
7. Try the Hoop Dee Doo Revue at least once in your life. I think it's one of the most classic WDW entertainment experiences that's still around and the food is not bad.
8. Get breakfast at Trails End. Almost never a wait. Pog and mickey waffles!!!!!
9. You can get souvenirs you buy in the parks sent back to the resort. They hold them for you at the Meadows gift shop. I always take advantage of this.
10. It's very pet friendly. We have two dogs and always bring them with us (saves the cost of boarding). There's a big dog park near the 300 loop. My dogs loved to play there before they became geriatric. I think it costs us an extra $5 per day, but you're limited to two dogs and you should tell them about the dogs both when you make your reservation and when you check-in.
12. There are a ton of recreational activities that aren't available at the other resorts.

Thanks so much! My parents have a dog, so the pet-friendly item is great to know :)

Upvote 0

Driver

^^^^^^ this Yes!! ^^^^^^ but may I add the premium sites do have some lawn around them. I got tagged for having 1 tire on the grass ( I even took a picture) And I agree get into the preferred loop for closeness to everything. And another vote yes for Hoop de Doo. My Niece is coming down in a few weeks and we are going ( I've been multiple times, it's still fun and the food is pretty good!)

Upvote 0

SapphireStorm

Original Poster
Wow, thanks so much, everyone! I think these plans may have to get a little more concrete ;) My grandparents used to have a camper permanently stationed at a campsite in Maine. We spent every summer there until they sold it when I was about ten years old, so my parents are super familiar with how everything works ex. hookups, sewer, all that. We actually haven't gotten to use our RV yet as we just bought it recently and it's undergoing some minor repairs (snagged it for cheap on one of those local yard sale FB groups).

We had actually hoped to make this trip this year, but instead used our savings on a house, which of course is awesome, but I'm itching to go back to WDW again!

Upvote 0

wagner1225

We have stayed at FW since it opened starting with a little Pop-up to a large 5th wheel, also used a Motorhome, you can't go wrong at FW, I would advise checking the different Disney RV sites so you can pick out a Loop you would like, we liked the 800, 900, area and the 700 loop also, you can look at Google Earth and see a view of the area, make you reservations very early as it fills up fast, BTW Florida has some state parks for RV's that are very good....

Upvote 0

SapphireStorm

Original Poster
If you can plan your timing on I-77 North of Charlotte to be in the off hours you will be good. The construction during the day is absolutely BRUTAL, so be careful.

Will keep in mind, thanks. Sounds like MA! We joke that we have two seasons here: winter and road construction. lol

Upvote 0

SapphireStorm

Original Poster
I thought construction in Chicago was bad when we lived there. They at least finished projects there. Here the construction looks the same it did a year ago:arghh:

Same here. They smooth out the roads and then they get destroyed again the next winter by all the sand and salt. We have massive potholes everywhere, especially in the central area of the state, where I live. Even on the major highways o_O

Upvote 0

WDWMPrincess

My experience with RVing may not be the most helpful as I have only ever driving cross country in an RV from Texas to Colorado and the Grand Canyon. Walmarts are usually super nice about letting you take up a bunch of parking spots as long as you park well out in those spots no one hardly uses anyways. Great for those times when everyone just needs to walk around a bit and get the blood flowing or if you need to stop and pick up a few things.

There are several grocery stores including Walmarts in the Orlando area that have options where you order online and just drive by to pick up your order. One of the more local groceries in Orlando has been mentioned elsewhere in trip planning as offering a one time free trial to new accounts. Sorry I don't remember which one but I'm sure you can find it using search. They didn't have this when I was RVing but it would have been great to have to be able to pick up fresh bread and produce when we got where we were going.

Based on my experience of Fort Wilderness a few years ago however much bug spray you think you need take twice that. My experience was due to the heat and humidity I took a good few extra showers and therefore needed a fresh coat of bug spray more often than expected. They sell it in several locations in Fort Wilderness but it is very expensive.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We just bought a 26 ft Apex and have already booked an extended trip june 2019. I was in orlando last week and made my way through Ft Wilderness to check it out. There is a much more laid back and relaxed feeling there than the ither resorts. I think I could just sit in the chairs down at the boat dock area and look out over Bay Lake forever.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom