1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

(RUMOR) Rivers Of Light to end in 2020 replaced with new show featuring Disney characters

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by brb1006, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:43 PM.

1. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I thoroughly agree with your post!!..
    I contemplated at 1, then 2, then 3 then 4...finally did it at 5, and I was one of those parents that you described above.lol
    I'm glad I did at 5, but 6 was much better!

Re: Univeral- I've always considered it "for the older kids" as in 54" and up. At Disney kids can do all of the rides at 48", and most of them even before then.

Figments Friend likes this.
  2. dennis-in-ct

dennis-in-ct Active Member

I thought the key was to appeal to the parents. The parents spend the money - not the children.

Direwolf27 and HMF like this.
  3. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member Original Poster

The amount of Disney Junior and Disney Princess merch would say otherwise.

4. brb1006

I was referring to Bravissimo the former water show at Tokyo Disneysea.

Tahu likes this.
  5. brb1006

It's Japan and a case of Americans Hate Tingle

6. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

We have shifting sands on rumors of changes/additions that are supposed to start next year and we should give any import or worry to an event four years out?

Three years from now, if the rumor continues, you'll have people freaking out because RoL is now their favorite night time show. It'll get much higher reviews than Jungle Book ever did making them rethink that an IP would work better.

brb1006 likes this.
  7. Magic Feather

Magic Feather Well-Known Member

Regarding RoL ratings, as @lentesta said, they are respectable by a large margin, just low compared to other nightime shows. Not to bring the whole Uni debate into this (this is just for a non-Disney industry reference) this show scores realms above Cinematic Spectacular and most others in the industry. No one (well, very few) seems to find RoL to be a bad show, it is just different and a bit underwhelming. It is not the secong coming of (insert your deity of choice) nor the second coming of (insert your devil of choice). As has been said before, this is a long way off, and honestly, the Bobs want their moneys worth on this one instead of cutting their losses (which are too small to be lost). The RoL merch is selling modestly, and unless we see empty shows running, thing look good for the foreseeable future. Esoecially if/when they get those extra few effects working.

8. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Well-Known Member

As you imply, all I'm aware of for this show is work to plus it with currently-unsatisfactory effects. I don't believe anyone is seriously discussing a replacement for it. More like IllumiNations, DHS's latest projection-and-three-fireworks show, Happilly Ever After, Fantasmic updates, and a nighttime parade. And a daytime parade.

Maybe after those few projects are done. Oh and the drones and Home Depot Christmas tree display that are supposed to make people want to visit the Springs to buy $70 jeans and a $20 fast food burger (with $10 peppermint bark milkshake!) at Christmas.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  9. roj2323

roj2323 Well-Known Member

You should have waited 12 days to post this.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  10. lentesta

lentesta Premium Member

Here's a comparison of the ratings we've got for the nighttime spectaculars over the last few months, sorted by average overall rating (highest first). I also added in the average rating of all of the park's attractions, for comparison. It's a 5-point scale, with 5 the maximum.

NighttimeSpectaculars.jpg
    Four age groups (teens, young adults, over 30's, and seniors) rate RoL lower than any other show (and lower than the average AK attraction). I'm not sure that adding characters to RoL will improve the show for those demographics.

I'm going to head out to see the show again later this week. The LOML hasn't seen it yet, so it'll be good to get her impression.

11. Magic Feather

A bit surprised with those numbers. If you don't mind my asking (or if you are able to answer) where did you acquire those stats? Last I saw, Cinematic was doing very poorly with preschool, hence the recent efforts to add the family movie preambles.

12. lentesta

lentesta Premium Member

Unofficial Guide readers and TouringPlans.com users. A couple hundred thousand families per year.

Mart123 and Magic Feather like this.
  13. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Wow. That kind of data is fascinating, and yet would obviously be alarmingly bad news for TDO execs.

No wonder the show is already heading to Yesterland. Likely after the third fiscal year (2020) they can amortize and pencil out enough of the losses to cushion some of the sting of this failure.

At least it's not as bad as Light Magic.

14. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

1 being the worst, 5 being the best, correct?

15. TheDude23

TheDude23 Well-Known Member

Good data, but the sample size of responses for some of the shows (maybe all of the shows) is just too small to draw any sort of firm conclusions.

16. MisterPenguin

Ok...

1. The people polled are not a random sample.

2. The number polled for RoL is way too small to be anywhere significant.

3. Oddly, the average rating within each age subgroup is rounded to the nearest half point, while the aggregate rating isn't.

4. According to those polled the rating of attractions for the parks from best to least is...

1. DHS
    2. DAK
    3. MK
    4. USF
    5. DCA
    6. Epcot

Interesting.

Calm Down Rover likes this.
  17. prfctlyximprct

prfctlyximprct Well-Known Member

Can someone, anyone, take this dagger out of my heart??

I CAN'T. Just throw my bleeding body into the river with the lotus flowers circled around me.

:(

18. MisterPenguin

No, it's not. This is a rumor. It may or it may not. But you cannot say "it is heading" without using the subjunctive.

19. Magic Feather

Don't go crying yet... Heck, don't go crying until 2020 absolute earliest. If anything, you should rejoice first. RoL 2.0 does seem to be en route (relatively minor changes, but nonetheless).

20. lentesta

lentesta Premium Member

Yep.