News Roger E. Broggie overhaul

N&w1218

I'm sure after Roger Roy will be next. It's not had refurb since it went to tweetsie in 2000 here it being unloaded

Attachments

• roy-refurb-07.jpg
    roy-refurb-07.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 238
  • roy-refurb-03.jpg
    roy-refurb-03.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 283
  • roy-refurb-01.jpg
    roy-refurb-01.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 189
  • roy-refurb-05.jpg
    roy-refurb-05.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Disneyrailfan1996

Wonder if there’ll be any differences in his rebuild vs Walter’s. I know his “Exciter” box is mounted just below the cab behind the engineer’s seat and there’s a door on the rear box vs Lilly’s (“Showgirl” as I affectionately call her) black box below the cab and the top hatch being the only opening for the tender box.

Still a miracle that Strasburg pulled off something that combined Walt’s passion for innovation with the railroad!

Down south though, I can say Disney is making use of whatever time Grandpa Roy has left before his (eventual) departure! Walter and Lilly have been rotated in and out of service infrequently (previously until March (I think) the two were running together in service with Roy running on occasion), although Walter has been taking care of the workload for the most part between the two.

Disone

Yes, Roy will be the last of the 4 locomotives to be rebuilt.
Oh yes. Assumed. But "his departure" and "what ever time he has left" and "end of an era" made me concerned that I miss something announced that he was not coming back.

On a brighter note I did notice last week that they had replaced his whistle and he's back to having the whistle we all know and love.

I asked an engineer about it and he just smiled and said, "yeah we did that about a month ago."

mikeymouse

Kinda off topic, does anyone know what the lighted push buttons are for in the cab. I know the one has them near the roof of the cab. I could not get a clear photo of them to see.

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
Kinda off topic, does anyone know what the lighted push buttons are for in the cab. I know the one has them near the roof of the cab. I could not get a clear photo of them to see.

I took a screenshot of this to see the hideous digital speedometer in operation, but you can also see the buttons, though the labels are not clear. From what I understand, each button is for a specific sensor. When said sensor detects something wrong, it triggers an alarm and the button lights up. Obviously, you push whatever button is lighted up to acknowledge the alarm and make it stop, but what I’m not entirely sure of is if pushing certain buttons actually does something. (Shutting off the fuel line, putting the train into emergency, etc) The exact same panel is also on the fireman’s side of the cab.

IMG_9132.png

For context, this is Lilly’s cab.

Disneyrailfan1996

I took a screenshot of this to see the hideous digital speedometer in operation, but you can also see the buttons, though the labels are not clear. From what I understand, each button is for a specific sensor. When said sensor detects something wrong, it triggers an alarm and the button lights up. Obviously, you push whatever button is lighted up to acknowledge the alarm and make it stop, but what I’m not entirely sure of is if pushing certain buttons actually does something. (Shutting off the fuel line, putting the train into emergency, etc)
I can tell you now that the speaker is “Alarm”, 2 buttons over is a yellow button which is “Alarm Silence”, and one or both of the big round buttons would obviously be emergency stop. If it’s only one e-stop button, then I’m not sure what the other is for. I’ve tried to get a photo of it now that I have a phone that can zoom in pretty far, but iPhones always make it come out blurry no matter the focus.
IMG_0694.jpeg
IMG_0691.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg

IMG_0437.jpeg

Then here’s the fireman actually using the panel while the train is en route to Fantasyland and during the “struggle” between Peter Pan and his shadow, which would be while the train is going downhill.
IMG_0697.jpeg

As a bonus, here’s 2 of the plugs/covers under the cab (I zoomed in to try to see what the small print said). Not sure what’s under them. Diagnostic ports?
IMG_0034.jpeg

Wish I took a standard video camera and tried to get a good photo/still frame of the panel. Ah well. Looks like a better photo of such will have to wait until my next trip to Disney now that I’m back in the Chicagoland area after a great big beautiful 4 years in Orlando.

The exact same panel is also on the fireman’s side of the cab.
Based on my photos and the photo you provide in your post, the fireman’s side is at least somewhat different. I don’t recall seeing a switch on the fireman’s side. Then again I was capturing Walter’s panel, not Lilly’s

View attachment 737760

For context, this is Lilly’s cab.
“Hot dog!” as Mickey would say. I find it fitting that the voice of Mickey would sit in Lilly’s cab. Had it not been for Lillian Disney, he would've been named Mortimer.

Getting back on track, I do have a zoomed in photo of the speedometer and the other screen (no idea what it is).
IMG_0428.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

I can make out some numbers on the other screen but I would have no idea what they mean without being able to read the other text.

While minor in the grand scheme of things, Roy’s departure will be the end of an era.
While that may be the case, an engine out there that worked with Disney’s Baldwin quartet retains its original boiler. There is actually a THIRD Ferrocales Unidos de Yucatán (United Railways of Yucatan) 4-6-0 still in existence. No idea if it was sent to and rescued from the same scrap yard as Walt, Lilly, Roger, Roy and the fifth engine and or if the preservation was sparked by Gerald M. Best’s book “Mexican Narrow Gauge,” but engine 270 (S/N 58440) is on display in Yucatan in her as-retired appearance. Her side rods are missing though, so I’m not sure if they were removed and put on Walter and or Roger at one point. While the end of an era for Disney, the preservation of no. 270 in Yucatan is in some way a small reminder of the ending era and the days pre-dating the original Disney rebuilds.

Anyhoo… I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, I’m sure Walt would enjoy seeing the latest technology on something that he loved so nearly and dearly! He was an innovator and believed in moving forward. The upgrades are truly the spirit of progress! Speaking of progress… You all know the song by now, let’s sing it together!

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpeg
    IMG_0697.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 48

TrainsOfDisney

Anyhoo… I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, I’m sure Walt would enjoy seeing the latest technology on something that he loved so nearly and dearly! He was an innovator and believed in moving forward. The upgrades are truly the spirit of progress!
Eh. These aren’t really upgrades - they are strange additions added by people who don’t know, understand, or consulted with people who know about steam locomotives.

The alternative (no steam) would have been tragic so I’m thankful for what we have but these additions are not necessary and some of them (looking at gig digital speedometer) are very unfortunate.

TrainsOfDisney

I would pay top dollar to see you go up to every member of the Strasburg shop crew and tell them that they don’t know anything about steam locomotives.
I wasn’t referring to them. I know many of them haha. Strasburg is amazing and among the best of the best.

(Although they aren’t the best at checking the switch points hehe.)

Last edited:

Disneyrailfan1996

This was from a week ago.

He’ll be back soon. Very soon.

🎶Roger Broggie’s comin down the track! Comin down the track, with a smokey stack! Hear him thumpin’ goin’ not too fast, Roger’s here to be a pain for the cast! Every time his fire doesn’t wanna light, maintenance has to come and get it right! Time for Mickey Bars and pricey Coke, Roger Broggie’s back! Roger Broggie’s back!🎶

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom