News Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster closing for refurbishment in February 2023

No Name

No, not comparing the rides at all! I ask because the queue theming and conceit is similar (TV studio vs. music studio), and I always thought these were unthemed. But in recent years I’ve had the chance to tour actual movie and music studios, and yep, that’s exactly what they look like!

I know you’re a fan of Rock N Roller Coaster, I was just curious about your thoughts on the queue. Fallon is perhaps a more modern version (with the “hang out in the lobby until your color group is called approach).
Ah okay, apologies for my brazen attitude then! I should’ve figured since you said it was a serous question.

Yeah, the conceits are definitely similar, as they both center around famous people urgently departing from their respective studios. The Fallon ride was so empty that I never actually got to have them call my color group, or spend a whole ton of time in the queue, but I’d say it’s better than RnRC’s. I do like the addition to the RnRC queue where the ads along the walls change to say your name/town/etc, although it’s a little played out with how it’s used in multiple rides.

FettFan

In my opinion, Aerosmith is gross and RnR is dated, cheesy, and poorly themed.
jeff bridges fgc GIF

TomboyJanet

The contract between Marvel & Universal will prevent this from ever happening at WDW.
FOR NOW. Remember things change. God help us if they ever get their hands on the WDW Tower and RNRC. I can see the boring flatscreens now. Also those screens seem to have like the digital quality of 2008 btw they are just not even trying to do bad good.....yeah....that

TomboyJanet

Aerosmith is cool, and rock and roll.
Fallon is a dweeb.
Yeah I'm def a rocker chick.... I think the thing about the RNRC is that it sounds like the coolest person on Earth thought it up and the thing with Jimmy Fallon is that he's just not that funny. Like really his jokes go nowhere then he laughs at them himself and then they usually wind up doing something dumb like dancing with a banana or something.

But RNRC is like a cool car loud rock and screechin' tires. Plus it's in California which is also cool. So it's like whaaaat!!

Like I said on youtube ....at some point....somewhere......(It's early and I didn't sleep a lot shush!) Jimmy Fallon is kinda like something that probably should have been built in the NBC studios for tourists visiting Manhattan. There was a similar thing with a magical central park carriage in the wax museum. I may just be Jaded because I live in NY so going all the way to Universal to see a fake tour of basically where I just came from is really dull for me

nickf456

While I personally do not like Jimmy Fallon too much anymore, I can't deny that he has brought The Tonight Show brand to new heights and has adapted the show to the digital age in a seemingly masterful way.

As for RnRc, I do not think it'll be rethemed. The ride has seemed to never have a long refurb since the ride opened so I think it just needs some TLC from maintenance.

SpectreJordan

FOR NOW. Remember things change. God help us if they ever get their hands on the WDW Tower and RNRC. I can see the boring flatscreens now. Also those screens seem to have like the digital quality of 2008 btw they are just not even trying to do bad good.....yeah....that
If Tower was going to be changed to Marvel, they would've just updated it to Guardians like in DCA. I think the haunted hotel theme is here to stay, now Twilight Zone specifically is another story.

TomboyJanet

If Tower was going to be changed to Marvel, they would've just updated it to Guardians like in DCA. I think the haunted hotel theme is here to stay, now Twilight Zone specifically is another story.
Idk It seems very intertwined with TLZ. I remember there was a movie in the 90s that wasn't TLZ related but it did have all the hotel characters that disappeared. I remember Kirsten Dunst was in it too.

I hope they keep the theme like it is. It helps to have a wide variety of Hollywood stuff going on. Now that the GMR has sadly gone away they don't really have much of that old classics feel and it's very sad

TheEPCOTHistorian

In the Parks
Yes
I also think it's stupid to judge the relevancy of properties in a park that *partially* celebrates the past.

The Twilight Zone has become engrained in popular culture and will be for the remainder of time. Does it have a high rate of active viewership these days? Of course not. What it does have is a mental link to the golden age of television and iconic small screen glitz.

Is Aerosmith still as popular as they once were? Sort of. Music tends to be different in that "old music" has become cool and younger generations have a new way of making things relevant. Regardless of *current* relevance, Aerosmith represented the top class of American rock and roll, and continue to hold that legacy. They rightfully represent their niche in Hollywood Studios, just as Twilight Zone does.

Relevancy doesn't matter when you're attempting to convey timeless concepts in popular culture. An added bonus is all the kids who go watch TZ and listen to Aerosmith after their vacation. They're a generation who has endless access to media from across history. Let them explore. Let them discover. They'll grow to appreciate it as much as we do, and the cycle continues.

I'll be passing out free copies of "Permanent Vacation" to any child under 15 when RnRC reopens, if anyone wants to join the cause 🤣

TomboyJanet

I also think it's stupid to judge the relevancy of properties in a park that *partially* celebrates the past.

The Twilight Zone has become engrained in popular culture and will be for the remainder of time. Does it have a high rate of active viewership these days? Of course not. What it does have is a mental link to the golden age of television and iconic small screen glitz.

Is Aerosmith still as popular as they once were? Sort of. Music tends to be different in that "old music" has become cool and younger generations have a new way of making things relevant. Regardless of *current* relevance, Aerosmith represented the top class of American rock and roll, and continue to hold that legacy. They rightfully represent their niche in Hollywood Studios, just as Twilight Zone does.

Relevancy doesn't matter when you're attempting to convey timeless concepts in popular culture. An added bonus is all the kids who go watch TZ and listen to Aerosmith after their vacation. They're a generation who has endless access to media from across history. Let them explore. Let them discover. They'll grow to appreciate it as much as we do, and the cycle continues.

I'll be passing out free copies of "Permanent Vacation" to any child under 15 when RnRC reopens, if anyone wants to join the cause 🤣
Its funny because now that I think about it RNRC really did get me interested in Rock in the first place. I started with Aerosmith and then moved outward getting into some really rebellious jams Now I listen to everything from Bikini Kill to Chuck Berry. Before that I thought Rock was just something reserved for boys and "cool girls"

SpectreJordan

Idk It seems very intertwined with TLZ. I remember there was a movie in the 90s that wasn't TLZ related but it did have all the hotel characters that disappeared. I remember Kirsten Dunst was in it too.

I hope they keep the theme like it is. It helps to have a wide variety of Hollywood stuff going on. Now that the GMR has sadly gone away they don't really have much of that old classics feel and it's very sad
They apparently have a big budget ToT movie in production. If that ever happens & it's a hit, I could see that replacing Twilight Zone.

But I hope they just keep the TZ. They've removed all the other third party IPs (or bought them), so I think they can keep atleast one lol

TomboyJanet

They apparently have a big budget ToT movie in production. If that ever happens & it's a hit, I could see that replacing Twilight Zone.

But I hope they just keep the TZ. They've removed all the other third party IPs (or bought them), so I think they can keep atleast one lol
Is that why they got rid of the GMR? TBH I'm mostly upset that there are no longer any rides themed to Alien. It seems MADE for a theme park attraction! But I really liked the whole taking over the ride bit. I just wish that some of the Cast members didn't sound so bored saying the lines. I mean I get it they do it all day but If I was there I'd be the PERFECT Gangster girl I even kinda have the NY accent a bit so I would know EXACTLY how to deliver.

Touchdown

Aerosmith does seem to be fading, but rock is still alive. Queen, Elvis, and Elton John are continuing to enjoy their post biopic popularity bump. The Beatles continue to be popular as well. The Boss continues to sell out stadiums. Taste changes, but it would be nice if some new bands could crack into pop awareness the way the classic bands do.

Last edited:

Touchdown

About that Queen comment…

Apparently, there are some in the company who think a dead lead singer is preferable since there are no further skeletons to discover in a closet.

Not sure how the story would work though. We aren’t going to see Freddie dropping tracks…
I don’t know how it would work, but I would not be opposed to riding along to Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, Hammer to Fall, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, or if they dared Fat Bottom Girls.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom