Rivers of Light - Time for a reevaluation?

Tom Morrow

The original iteration of Rivers of Light, before they forced IP into it, was the closest thing we've had to a new IllumiNations-style night show. AKA, using the technology to do an art performance and not just to show you things you're already familiar with. The music was great. It just needed a little more pizazz and kinetic movement.

Cliff

In the post COVID era we've seen numerous changes to nighttime entertainment at WDW.

At Magic Kingdom Enchantment was generally regarded as inferior to Happily Ever After which has now returned.

Epcot has tried to find a worthy replacement to Reflections of Earth failing with Harmonious and doing better with Illuminous after Epcot Forever had numerous returns.

Hollywood Studio's had a modest update to Fantasmic! which is likely how the show will remain for the next decade.

MK never had a nighttime parade return or Once Upon a Time and DHS has settled for a small minimal pyro clip show on the Chinese Theatre.

There are no signs of any additional offerings at any of these parks whilst people complain how busy the parks are even at night especially MK and DHS.

As a huge fan of Animal Kingdom I just rewatched this amazing video of Rivers of Light by @Cliff and I wonder if it's time for a bit of a reevaluation of the show? Cliff did a great job capturing the essence of the show both in its panoramic moments as well as its close up details.

Yes the show had flaws, the entire show had to be rewritten due to the failure of the 100 individual floating lanterns so many show elements were revealed earlier than they intended, yes the main screen was susceptible to wind and perhaps because of many of these factors and others the finale was never a big a wow moment as some people wanted. But the show did a lot right and less than 10 years later I can't see post-COVID Disney ever attempting something like this and getting it so right?

It fits the theme of the park perfectly, it had no visual intrusion during the day, it had an original score, it had live actors, it could be reset quickly to allow for 2 or 3 shows a night, it had lots of great technology that (when it worked, perhaps a bit ambitious at the time...) was ground breaking and delivered great moments. Most of all it kept people in the park at night, yes it didn't keep the 40000(?) people in the park who watch Happily Ever After each night but 10-15,000 people in Animal Kingdom each night is 10-15,000 people not at the other parks

I'd encourage anyone who has seen the show to watch it again and give it a second chance or if you've never seen it watch and think how well this show fit the park versus most other night time spectaculars and how different the experience of DAK would be if it was still running.

Rivers of Light is long gone and I think it is widely accepted we won't see a night time offering until DAK has further expansion but isn't it such a waste that a park that used to have a night time offering now closes at 6/7pm each day dumping its visitors on the 3 other parks? It seems like such an error when capacity feels so restricted at WDW in the Genie+ era.

I agree with just about everything you said here. What I loved about this show was that it didn't rely on any movie properties and it was it's own story. It was intelligent and artistic and required people to "watch" and "look" and "think"as the story unfolded.

I really miss this show and I rank it #2 only behind Reflections of Earth on the list of greatest Nightime Spectaculars.

Jeff456

I watched it once, pretty sure we had a Dining package with Tusker House to watch it, I was disappointed but would like them to bring something back, also would no doubt increase the park hours if they did and give more opportunity to see Pandora at night which I am always impressed by!

Chef Mickey

Fireworks are very bad for the animals (they're even terrible for a lot of household pets); I don't think that's up for debate. The fact that other places still do them isn't a justification for Disney to join in.
Which animals did you speak with?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I think they should install fountains and so short frequent shows that you don’t have to sit in a stadium to watch and as for the lanterns I think they should make lantern puppets and make a tapestry type parade played to a Bruce Broughton soundtrack.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The problem with any nighttime show at AK is that they need to keep the noise and light levels down for the sake of the animals.
Correct.
This is one of those things I feel Disney put in a PR release that the general Disney foamer really took at face value but honestly I suspect its just a reverse justification for not spending the money.
Lack of fireworks in the vicinity of DAK is primarily due to animal welfare. The inhabitants basically dictate what can and can’t be done in the local area, no questions asked.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Fireworks are very bad for the animals (they're even terrible for a lot of household pets); I don't think that's up for debate. The fact that other places still do them isn't a justification for Disney to join in.
They could easily do fireworks that don’t explode (idk the technical term).

THEMEPARKPIONEER

They should do a drone and light show narrated by James Earl Jones with more of a calmer setting and projection mapping all over the park on the buildings and in the trees.

dreamfinder912

I adore Rivers of Light, I based my d&d character off the water shaman Aseema. I'd LOVE for them to bring this back. But I saw pictures floating around of the animal totems ripped apart. Apparently the batteries in the lotuses and totems did not do well with the shutdown/lack of use.

I agree with most here, it was a special and fitting show. I like to think the merry menagerie are Aseema's critters (her owl took us to see the arctic animals in RoL) and she's brought them all to see us. 💙💜

Disone

Correct.

Lack of fireworks in the vicinity of DAK is primarily due to animal welfare. The inhabitants basically dictate what can and can’t be done in the local area, no questions asked.
Thanks marni. Jungle book alive with music had a small fireworks finale in it. Very small though but it was there.

That show took place in the same spot.

You sir are an extremely reputable source. But extremely reputable zoological organizations, like the San Diego zoo, can do and have done massive firework demonstrations on things like the 4th of July, I just don't see a problem with Disney doing small pyro ground-based fireworks.

I appreciate you took the time to correct me and respect that heck out of you. Having said that I still am of the opinion that they can do some ground-based fireworks and just choose not to. And I do believe that choice is monetary based. I understand I'm in a naive and impossibly minority opinion and so I'll just leave it at that. I'm wrong, everyone else is right. But I'm still going to hold my opinion.

EricsBiscuit

Thanks marni. Jungle book alive with music had a small fireworks finale in it. Very small though but it was there.

That show took place in the same spot.

You sir are an extremely reputable source. But extremely reputable zoological organizations, like the San Diego zoo, can do and have done massive firework demonstrations on things like the 4th of July, I just don't see a problem with Disney doing small pyro ground-based fireworks.

I appreciate you took the time to correct me and respect that heck out of you. Having said that I still am of the opinion that they can do some ground-based fireworks and just choose not to. And I do believe that choice is monetary based. I understand I'm in a naive and impossibly minority opinion and so I'll just leave it at that. I'm wrong, everyone else is right. But I'm still going to hold my opinion.
Agreed. It’s a cost saving measure. Nothing to do with the animals.

UNCgolf

By the way, I'm 99% sure the San Diego Zoo does not do fireworks on the 4th of July (or any other day) -- that never sounded right to me and it makes a lot more sense that they don't.

The only evidence that they do is one random website (not the official zoo website) that kind of mentions it offhand, and everything else I can find (including San Diego's tourism site) either does not list the zoo as an option if you want to see fireworks on the 4th, or actually specifically says they don't do fireworks. I think the one website that mentions it was either confusing it with SeaWorld or intended to simply mention fireworks in San Diego in general.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom