Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

Ismael Flores

I'm disappointed that so many of the static fiberglass figures have returned.

Same here, I had hoped that they would have added some with at least some movement.

They don't have to be anything intricate. I remember the chipmunks or whatever they were that would pop their heads up from inside the old mine train that was left at the waters edge.

Some figured with simple spring mechanisms would have been cool. They moose and deer could have moving heads similar to the Christmas ornaments they sell for lawns at Christmas time. A gentle side to side motion and it would be fine. Maybe that movement would have deterred the ducks from using the moose as resting spots to defecate on

Rich T

...I remember the chipmunks or whatever they were that would pop their heads up from inside the old mine train that was left at the waters edge....
Marmets. They were a-whistlin' to all them pretty -- (Mickey bursts in and yells, "DON'T GET US IN TROUBLE!") -- gulls. They were whistlin' to the gulls.

Old Mouseketeer

I thought the Ant-Man ride was for HKDL not Shanghai, and it was going to be a shooter just like Buzz/TSMM. So I don't see how what I suggested and this overlay in HKDL is the same thing. Not even close.

What I'm suggesting is not some shooter ride. But an update on the ATIS attraction where instead of shrinking down to look at a snowflake molecule the guests would shrink down beyond the subatomic level like in Ant-Man. You can have Hank Pym and Scott Lang presenting what could be done with this type science, like quantum computing, possible future teleportation, etc. This is not only science fiction but based on science fact. So it would be enough into the future that the attraction could be around for 15-25 years depending on how far science gets.

Oooohhhh, I so totally got that wrong! My bad. Beat me with a soggy Churro.

George Lucas on a Bench

charm·ing
ˈCHärmiNG/

ducks defecating on static moose around the Rivers of America at Disneyland
"a charming Haunted Mansion Fastpass distribution area"
synonyms:
automatic door knocker, tulip lilypad lamp barely glimpsed in corridors of doors, graveyard owls with glowing eyes and elongating necks, spirit that's a sheet being blown by a fan, head blasting out of a coffin, prisoner ghost in graveyard doing Audrey Horne dance immediately before being seen among hitchhiking ghosts, speaker playing ghostly laughing, only the world's most obvious speaker when you notice it;
antonyms: The Observatron

Old Mouseketeer

Lol. Miss that guy. I've had a fascination with moose heads since I first saw Return to Oz

Actually, the animal heads inside Pooh aren't the AA heads from CBJ. They're the replicas from the Mile Long Bar. At WDW the MLB heads were animated because you walked out the CBJ exit to encounter them continuing the closing song from the show. At Disneyland you had to exit the attraction to enter the MLB, so the heads were static. These are the heads in Pooh.

And the biggest bull moose on the ROA is named Bruce the Moose--it's from the old Keel Boat spiel.

Old Mouseketeer

Here's the latest views of the River taken by our lady blogger on a very warm Tuesday afternoon...

I think that's our old friend the Indian Chief under that plastic tarp!

I hope his horse can still breathe.

You mean Chief Waves-a-Lot? (I know that's not an official name). Then there's the cigar store Indian on Main St. USA, Chief Stands-a-Lot/ and his cousin (reportedly a duplicate painted in different colors) on the tilted wooden sidewalk in Frontierland, Chief Leans-a-Lot.

D.Silentu

TP2000 posted a great retrospective on the animatronic animals that used to dot the river's shore, and I see no reason that they couldn't have brought back a few. As Ismael Flores mentioned, we're not talking about cutting edge mechanics here.

However I'm not sure if the moose ever had motion, but if it ever did my family took care of that! We had a family gathering at the park in the mid 90's and piled my whole family into one canoe. We had fun, but my grandmother kept insisting that the canoes were on a track, because, "..everything at Disneyland is on a track!" Somehow this bugged our guide, so he announced that we would spin 360' to prove we were trackless. The spin went fine but guide was kind of smug after, and didn't pay much attention until we ran headlong into that moose! I'll never forget that thing rocking back and forth, and the "I'm fired" look on the guides face. One of my favorite disney memories, so the moose gets a pass.

BubbaQuest

You do have wings.
You can do all these things.
You can widen your world.
Eastern: the wings of man.

Remember the Eastern Airlines reservation desk at the end of the ride?

I know I'm totally off topic now....but, OMG screenzz! How did I miss this gem of Disney Imagineering? I love, love, love, the slow moving air-conditioned Disney attractions, but what was the point of this thing? To torture you with pictures of what you could be doing if you weren't a schmuck stuck in Orlando watching a 4 minute long commercial?

Phroobar

I know I'm totally off topic now....but, OMG screenzz! How did I miss this gem of Disney Imagineering? I love, love, love, the slow moving air-conditioned Disney attractions, but what was the point of this thing? To torture you with pictures of what you could be doing if you weren't a schmuck stuck in Orlando watching a 4 minute long commercial?
It gives you ideas of places to go after your Disney World vacation is over. (like you still have money to do anything else)

britain

It was a free attraction (no ticket from your ticket book required) and added capacity to the half-built Tomorrowland.

SSG

Over on MiceChat a poster called Natalie Price (says she’s a CM) posted:

Disneyland Railroad Will Be "Cycling" Each Evening

The trains on the Disneyland Railroad will be cycling each evening from 4:00pm – 2:00am, beginning Friday, June 23rd. This is just testing and the trains will not be taking on passengers.

But much like the Columbia and Mark Twain, who are also "cycling" the Rivers of America, we're getting closer to the "feel" of the way things used to be...and will be soon.

180º

Over on MiceChat a poster called Natalie Price (says she’s a CM) posted:

Disneyland Railroad Will Be "Cycling" Each Evening

The trains on the Disneyland Railroad will be cycling each evening from 4:00pm – 2:00am, beginning Friday, June 23rd. This is just testing and the trains will not be taking on passengers.

But much like the Columbia and Mark Twain, who are also "cycling" the Rivers of America, we're getting closer to the "feel" of the way things used to be...and will be soon.
Awesome! Hope some of that pops up on social media tonight. I predict they'll start with one train at a time, going ahead slow at first before full steam, as it were.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom