River Country

MattyFresh

Does anyone know any specifics about why they closed RC?? I am new to the site and its probably up somewhere. Any talks of them doing anything with that land or is it just going to sit there and look pretty at night with all the lights still working??? I kinda miss the ol' fashion water hole

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That I know of no "official" reason was ever given but many of the rumors for RC's closure were bad location, low profit due to small size, issues with water quality, shortage of life guards etc, etc.

EDIT: As to it "looking pretty" it is anything but.

current day river country

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

A number of reasons, some of which include

Declining Attendance
Low capacity
Water quality
Upkeep costs
2 newer more popular water parks
Liability issues with type of attractions

so on and so forth. Many people will pick out one reason and say that is why, but it is most likely from a combination of all of the above.

Upvote 0

Lauraldove29

a few years back when it was my first trip to disney i had asked a cm about river country and why it was closed, seing it on there dvd's i wanted to try it out. well they had informed me that it had something to do with the levels of contamination in the water and it was to hard to up keep that as they would have to do the whole lake. i know you can go water skiing and other water activities out on the lake, but i guess the amount of people that do that pales in comparison to those who used the water park. Now this is only what that particular cm told me weither that is what really did i do not know.

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

Original Poster
yeah I was trying to see if anyone knew or heard any ideas of what they were going to do with the land. Maybe extend FW or something along those lines. Its just a shame to see it go to waste.....and for me saying it looking pretty....there was a little sarcasm in that statement.

Upvote 0

krueg66

Wow!!

That I know of no "official" reason was ever given but many of the rumors for RC's closure were bad location, low profit due to small size, issues with water quality, shortage of life guards etc, etc.

EDIT: As to it "looking pretty" it is anything but.

current day river country

I always wondered what was behind those walls...that is not cool. What a shame. So many classic things left to rot...

Upvote 0

maryszhi

I don't think they ever said why, but if u look on google earth and see how gross it is, maybe that is why.
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~When you wish upon a star~

Upvote 0

Fun2BFree

I don't think they ever said why, but if u look on google earth and see how gross it is, maybe that is why.
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~When you wish upon a star~

I'm guessing it's like that because of the algae covered water. Though RC's main pool was a part of Bay Lake, it was never THAT dirty when it was looked after.

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

WELL................ we stayed in the campground in March. I love doing stuff im not supossed to do .........we took our golf cart very late one night after several adult drinks and not really broke into but went AROUND a couple of locked fences into River Country. I must say it was fun i got to look around and see the place as i never seen it before. It looks very ROUGH but its still in place just kinda left in time you might say. It was very sad to see something very "DISNEY" just left to rot or be torn down. BTW this was not a good idea but after couple adult drinks it seemed like one! It was fun and sad at the same time...

see ya people soon as possible
not sure when but soon

The Wolfe's

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

I, too, would be interested in seeing what it looked like during it's 'glory days'. But, am I to understand that RC's main pool was part of Bay Lake? Isn't Bay Lake a man-made lake? And don't lakes sprout all sort of beasties and parasites that aren't healthy? I mean, you can't filter a lake, can you?

All I've seen of RC is one of the original wooden signs from the park that hangs in one of the conference rooms at Blizzard Beach. I would love to see what it's supposed to look like.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I, too, would be interested in seeing what it looked like during it's 'glory days'. But, am I to understand that RC's main pool was part of Bay Lake? Isn't Bay Lake a man-made lake? And don't lakes sprout all sort of beasties and parasites that aren't healthy? I mean, you can't filter a lake, can you?

All I've seen of RC is one of the original wooden signs from the park that hangs in one of the conference rooms at Blizzard Beach. I would love to see what it's supposed to look like.
In particular an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri is one of the worst. This nasty little critter gets in through your nasal passages and can result in death from brain swelling. These amoeba are very prevalent in warm, non chlorinated lake and stream water in the south and are a big reason for many of the lakes in Florida being closed to swimmers. Infections are rare but are almost always fatal.

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

Original Poster
As many times as I had been to River Country and mistakingly swallowed some of the wonderful lake water.........hey, maybe thats whats wrong with me now....hehehe

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom