Rides you were/are scared of

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Original Poster
Saw the discussion about it in the Tiana thread and wanted to make a thread about it so people could discuss without going too off-topic.

As a kid, I was utterly terrified of these attractions for the following reasons:
  1. Haunted Mansion: The stretching room along with the ghost host's hanging body used to scare me. The scene with the ghost footprints on the stairs also scared me.
  2. Expedition Everest: Going backwards in the dark and the projection of the yeti as well as the animatronic of it.
  3. It's Tough to Be a Bug: Literally the entire thing, especially the spiders appearing above the audience and the hornets stinging the seats.
  4. Splash Mountain: The drop to the Laughin' Place as well as the final drop.

Disstevefan1

My story was not about when I was growing up as I had never been on a roller coaster until I was a married adult.

My first time on space mountain I thought I was going to get decapitated by the cross bars?? And I was wondering why my hands hurt, it was because I had the grip of death on the coaster. I got over it and SM is always fun.

The other time was at SeaWorld, I was talking to myself, “no need to be scared, millions of people ride this thing every day. I get up to the platform and I say to myself, what’s that noise? It was my heart beating out of my chest. Again, now no problems all coasters are fun for me.

Rinx

Pirates of the Caribbean because of the "fire".
Backlot Tour because of Catastorphe Canyon and explosions/fire.
Indiana Jones ESS because of explosions/fire (little me didn't like fire!)
Honey I Shrunk the Audience because of the mice running into the audience.
Countdown to Extinction was scary as a 9 year old when it first opened. Now I wish it was like that so I can appreciate it more.

AndyS2992

None really, on my first trip I do remember feeling particularly anxious in the queues for Tower of Terror, Rock n Rollercoaster, Everest and Space Mountain but rode them all fine and got off feeling pretty pleased with myself. Now as an adult I’ll go on anything without even really giving it any thought.

wdrive

Pirates of the Caribbean used to terrify me as a kid. For some reason I always thought you boat was going to go underwater. The pirates themselves creeped me out too.

vikescaper

I was very afraid of roller coasters when I was a kid, so much that I chickened out of going on a kiddie coaster at the local amusement park.Big Thunder and Space were absolutely terrifying to me. I didn’t go on Space until I was out of high school. I was/still am terrified of rides that drop you straight down, Tower of Terror. I’ve been on DCA’s twice and DHS’ once and that is more than enough for me!

WorldExplorer

I had the kids' guide book when we went down when I was little. I don't remember most of the book, but the picture of the carnotaurus standing over the time rover on Dinosaur's page scared me away from ever getting near it.

The current kid guides just have the carnotaurus in the picture and devotes a lot of the page's space to emphasizing how scary it is, so I like to think they knew that was a winning strategy to avoid crying kids.

PSUDisney77

Space Mountain. Went on it when I was 7 with my parents, sat in the middle of the car. I just remember my dad reaching back to hold my hand as I was screaming the whole time. We did two more trips after that and I didn't ride Space again until I was 16.

Tinkerfan4ever

I didn't go to Disney until I was an adult... however, my first time there I was scared of Soarin'. I skipped it my first trip there. Then our second trip, I talked myself into riding it. I figured if I hated it, I could just close my eyes and never ride it again. I am so glad I rode it! It is one of my favorite rides. Now I try every new ride once!

EPCOT-O.G.

I am a ride wimp. My parents forced me into them and I hated it. Part of this may be from the fact that I sat next to my brother on the Gemini at Cedar Point and have vivid recollections of my mom reaching up to us to keep him from climbing out of the ride just as we were reaching the top of the big drop.

Could never do Splash. Was fooled into thinking we were doing the “kiddie” version of Space Mountain. Hated the Pirates drop. Even BTMRR was too intimidating to me.

We got to go to the parks a lot during Covid, and made it a point to conquer each of my fears. Started with BTMRR, then Matterhorn, then did 7DMT, then Splash (once it was going to disappear forever), and finally Space. I bought one of those “Conquer the Mountains” coffee mugs.

Still haven’t done Incredicoaster or Everest, and doubt I will.

DisneyFanatic12

Stitch’s Great Escape

Honorable Mention:
Downhill Double Dipper - Not a ride but I don’t like going down that slide to this day because I always get flung off my tube

DisneyFanatic12

Pirates of the Caribbean because of the "fire".
Backlot Tour because of Catastorphe Canyon and explosions/fire.
Indiana Jones ESS because of explosions/fire (little me didn't like fire!)
Honey I Shrunk the Audience because of the mice running into the audience.
Countdown to Extinction was scary as a 9 year old when it first opened. Now I wish it was like that so I can appreciate it more.
I forgot how scary Catastrophe Canyon was to me as a kid, lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom