Rides coming out of the Fox Deal

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They got rid of "Everything looks good (...) I think this time it's going to work!" on the Hulk, which upsets me and many nostalgic fans. But that doesn't mean people aren't going on the ride because the story changed.

Disney got rid of the original Journey into Imagination, World of Motion, Universe of Energy, the Great Movie Ride, and Horizons. I win. ;)

Honestly, I think it's dumb Universal refuses to end the contract EVEN THOUGH DISNEY BOUGHT MARVEL YEARS AGO. Disney should do something about it, it's no use sharing a property if they're at ends with each other. No matter if it's the last thing I ever do, I'm making sure that Iron Man retheme of Body Wars comes to EPCOT.

You're young, and as such you don't know how the corporate world works. They both benefit from the deal, or else they'd have met at the negotiating table by now.

I wouldn't focus your life's work on getting Iron Man into WoL. :cool:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
They listened to fans who hated the fact that they replaced JII with a shell of its former self where Figment cameos once and the ride outright tells you what MANY people used to tell me on the Internet when I was young at the beginning. They also slowly but surely got rid of Stitch.

Universal can retheme their rides to another popular franchise, and they'd benefit still. I agree I don't know how the corporate world works, but I'm a teenager who's on her way to becoming an adult, and this experience will teach me a LOT about the corporate world and how it works. Almost like a ride at EPCOT. (hehe) My life's work will be as an Imagineer. That's where I'm eventually gonna end up after it's all over, right? Even though I'm going to go through many hardships and troubles like school and my parents, I can do it, and plus I'll get great rides on Hulk and Doctor Doom at Universal and might even have the Cranium Command show shown to me over at Disney while I'm at it.

Unfortunately, those rides aren't coming back. They were gutted and left unattended so long that the ride mechanics are no longer usable. Coincidentally, @marni1971 has a new video where you can read and see all of the pavilion in its former glory. :)

geekza

They can just rebuild it; make new mechanics. The new Body Wars should have a 3D projected screen.
They could spend a lot of money and rebuild everything at Epcot that was beloved, but removed, but they won't. You're being naïve if you think they will. Perseverance is valuable and commendable, stubbornness will just come back to bite you.

NickMaio

just for a laugh, turn the TOT into nagatomi plaza from die hard with disney characters. who doesn’t want to hear mickey say “yippie kai yay....” (you know the rest) ;)
OMG yes.........you are with Maclane and need to get out of the tower😲

danlb_2000

Premium Member
They got rid of "Everything looks good (...) I think this time it's going to work!" on the Hulk, which upsets me and many nostalgic fans. But that doesn't mean people aren't going on the ride because the story changed. Honestly, I think it's dumb Universal refuses to end the contract EVEN THOUGH DISNEY BOUGHT MARVEL YEARS AGO. Disney should do something about it, it's no use sharing a property if they're at ends with each other. No matter if it's the last thing I ever do, I'm making sure that Iron Man retheme of Body Wars comes to EPCOT.

I think it would be dumb for Universal to give up the contract. The basically locked in the price of the license (excluding increases for inflation) back when Marvel was near bankruptcy and the modern batch of Marvel movies was still a couple years away. Right now they own the theme park rights to one of the most profitable franchises in existence and are paying a rock bottom price for it.

geekza

Because all they care about is making new stuff for MONEY.
That is literally all they care about now. You are correct. That's why many of us "old folks" lament the changes that have taken place in the company since the last of "Walt's people" left. Bob Iger's sole job is to increase shareholder value. Sadly, that's just how things are now and they will never go back to the way things were.

TwilightZone

Her. And don't worry, I'm still here. I do other things, too! Last night I started writing my letter to Disney. I created an outline first and also did a box chart (?) about what would happen if Universal ends the contract. They could retheme the rides they have to another mega popular IP like Transformers or Jurassic Park. The Transformers ride currently in the main park could be moved to IoA replacing Spider-Man. Where the ride used to be in the main park is where Twister: Ride it Out returns.
I don't think disney will read it, and if they do, they wouldn't really care.

Krazyjoe

Does anyone have any ideas of what rides might come to WDW through the deal?

I don't know of any Fox properties that would be ripe for rides today. In the past Independence Day and Ice Age could have made good rides, but both properties are a bit long in the tooth now. Maybe Ice Age is still semi-relevant since they keep pumping out sequels. The obvious answer is Avatar but Disney didn't even wait for that to be an actual DIsney property ;)

I don't know. Could you maybe make a Planet of the Apes ride? I'm not sure what that would be.....

geekza

I don't know of any Fox properties that would be ripe for rides today. In the past Independence Day and Ice Age could have made good rides, but both properties are a bit long in the tooth now. Maybe Ice Age is still semi-relevant since they keep pumping out sequels. The obvious answer is Avatar but Disney didn't even wait for that to be an actual DIsney property ;)

I don't know. Could you maybe make a Planet of the Apes ride? I'm not sure what that would be.....
The last Ice Age film was a pretty big flop, even overseas where they inexplicably love those films. I wouldn't count on any more. I also don't know that Disney will want even more animation companies on its payroll after the merger. Jim Hill's recent animation podcast goes into pretty decent detail about the current situation with the Fox-owned animation studios.

TwilightZone

I don't know. Could you maybe make a Planet of the Apeue. s ride? I'm not sure what that would be.....
My best guess is that since the anastasia musical is so popular, maybe disney will port that to their parks, but besides that I have no clue. G rated deadpool meet n greet maybe?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The last Ice Age film was a pretty big flop, even overseas where they inexplicably love those films. I wouldn't count on any more. I also don't know that Disney will want even more animation companies on its payroll after the merger. Jim Hill's recent animation podcast goes into pretty decent detail about the current situation with the Fox-owned animation studios.

It did as well as the first one at the Box Office. However, apart from the first one which got good reviews, critics hated the sequels, especially the last one.

If a studio thinks they can net another $100 million from a sequel...

1534445829988.png

And here's the full BS/Fox animated portfolio (not including films in which Fox was just the distributor)...

1534448004597.png

geekza

It did as well as the first one at the Box Office. However, apart from the first one which got good reviews, critics hated the sequels, especially the last one.

If a studio thinks they can net another $100 million from a sequel...

View attachment 304326

And here's the full BS/Fox animated portfolio (not including films in which Fox was just the distributor)...

View attachment 304327
It did, but box office on sequels is usually compared to the series overall. The last one made half of what the previous two did. That's a pretty precipitous drop-off. It also cost almost twice what the first did to make.

EDIT: If you adjust for inflation and compare 2002 dollars to 2016 dollars, the original pulled in the equivalent of approx. $512 million. That makes the take on the last film even worse.

Last edited:

NormC

Last night I started writing my letter to Disney. I created an outline first and also did a box chart (?) about what would happen if Universal ends the contract. They could retheme the rides they have to another mega popular IP like Transformers or Jurassic Park. The Transformers ride currently in the main park could be moved to IoA replacing Spider-Man. Where the ride used to be in the main park is where Twister: Ride it Out returns.
Mary, did you include in your charts how much it would cost Universal to retheme all of those rides and signage and marketing collateral? Did you account for the payments that they make to Disney/Marvel for the license? Did you account for how much they make in admissions because people want to see those attractions at Islands of Adventure? Moving and retheming rides costs millions of dollars. Multiply that by the number of rides you want changed. Who is paying for this? Do you think Comcast/Universal is going to do anything to benefit their competitor? Universal is enjoying a large income for a very small investment. Disney is content to continue to collect that payment. Disney does not need Marvel in WDW. They have plenty of things going on now. It is fantastic that you have dreams and spirit but you have to be realistic as well.

TwilightZone

In a place where they turn off the shark popping out in Nemo because it scared little kids, I doubt we'll ever see something truly scary in the parks again (at least until there's a change in management). That is an adorable Xenomorph, though!
I need nemo shark footage now, I never heard of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom