Riders hit by outage at Epcot

napnet

Original Poster
Orange County -- A power outage Sunday night left dozens of tourists stranded briefly on a ride at Disney's Epcot theme park.

Roger Ferell of Atlanta was with his wife and three children on the "Soarin' Over California" ride when the power went out and they were suspended in midair for about 15 minutes, he said.

"This has been traumatic," he said from his cell phone Sunday night. "After something like that, my kids don't want to ride anymore."

According to the Downtown Disney Web site, Soarin' takes riders 40 feet into the air. An IMAX movie screen displays images of typical California fare, such as the Golden Gate Bridge.

Disney spokesman Jacob Dipietre confirmed the power outage and said staff responded.

That would be interesting to have happen...

Tim G

Orange County -- A power outage Sunday night left dozens of tourists stranded briefly on a ride at Disney's Epcot theme park.

Roger Ferell of Atlanta was with his wife and three children on the "Soarin' Over California" ride when the power went out and they were suspended in midair for about 15 minutes, he said.

"This has been traumatic," he said from his cell phone Sunday night. "After something like that, my kids don't want to ride anymore."

According to the Downtown Disney Web site, Soarin' takes riders 40 feet into the air. An IMAX movie screen displays images of typical California fare, such as the Golden Gate Bridge.

Disney spokesman Jacob Dipietre confirmed the power outage and said staff responded.

Oh well... power outages... there's nothing you can do about it...

And Yes... Veeeeeeeeeeeeery Traumatic!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
They must have had them down in approx, 3 minutes, that's what it takes to start the emergency winches and getting them all back on the ground again... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Anyone hear the lawsuits coming in for the distress caused...?

Give us a break. Call that traumatic??

sleepybear

Yeah, I know I'm one of the people on here defending the media and its treatment of Disney at every turn. But, sheesh, that could be one of the most pointless news items I've ever seen. (Aside from Tom and Katie's wedding.) The power went out. People got to sit on a cool ride for fifteen minutes. Oh, the humanity!

Ralphlaw

I have friends who were on Spaceship Earth at the same time with their three young kids. That was a bit more traumatic, but they were right back on the next day.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

hmmmm, so i guess it is safe to assume that his kids dont ever go on ferris wheels were you are temporarily suspended in air. if they are scared of heights... i probably wouldnt have taken them on this attraction.

yes, it is so traumatic to sit in a comfortable seat for 15 minutes while the power outage gets fixed. try a sky bucket for 20 minutes, a ski lift for 15 in a snow storm or on a coaster lift hill for 10...... it comes with the territory.

the sad thing is, he probably made it into a stressful situation instead of making the best of it and keeping his kids calm.

kcnole

Oh the humanity. They were stuck on perfectly safe ride vehicles for a few minutes. We need to get the UN in here quick to make sure this kind of inhumane treatment never happens again at the Walt Disney World Resort. :brick:

If you thought that was traumatic then you better go home and hide in your closet for the rest of your life.

mellybear

I got stuck on the TTA, and we had to get off and walk through space mountain. I also got stuck on tower of terror, and as soon as they were going to make us walk down from the top of the shaft it started back up. We had to go down with all the lights on, imagine the people stuck in the shaft. Now that would have been tramatic for me..!

pheneix

A power outage left riders stranded for over an hour at a certain attraction I used to work at on the north end of I-drive, but the media never gave us a story.

I'm jealous...

Dwarful

I don't think the man knows the meaning of the word 'traumatic'....he was lucky they weren't on IASW. We were once stuck on Snow Whites Scary Adventure for about 10 mins. The worst part was they couldn't get us off the ride (or wouldn't I'm not really sure) we were stuck right at the door entrance....but we survived and our kids have continued to ride ride ride!

DisneyMusician2

I love how people try to get their 15 minutes....How traumatic could it have been?? You are buckled in with no place to go. Hold the kid's hand and get through this extremely scary time!

PKD

The power also went out at the Boardwalk Resort in the parking lots and some of the Boardwalk itself. Also over at Celebration, different sections were in total black for an hour or so. Whether or not all three were connected, who knows.

Those poor kids will have to go into years of therapy to repress these horrible memories that will haunt them for the rest of their lives :lookaroun *evil grin*

PKD

I got stuck on the TTA, and we had to get off and walk through space mountain. I also got stuck on tower of terror, and as soon as they were going to make us walk down from the top of the shaft it started back up. We had to go down with all the lights on, imagine the people stuck in the shaft. Now that would have been tramatic for me..!

Been there done that... we were in the shaft for about 15 minutes due to an E-stop (kids were throwing their backpacks in the air). It really did feel like it was going to just "drop" at anytime. It was cool thought to slowly, and I mean slowly, go down the shaft once they were able to reset the E-stop.

napnet

Original Poster
Man, they missed a perfect time for a 15 minute power nap...i usually save that for the Hall of Presidents ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom