Ride Boarding Prefrence

Aeroshen

Original Poster
I have been wondering about this for awhile.

I see alot of rides throughout many parks that that have rides that have people boarding and being offloaded from the ride at the same time and place.
Ex: Splash Mountain ( if memory is working today)

Then you have many rides that have seperate unloading and loading spots
Ex: Space Mountain (Same as above :rolleyes: )

My personal prefrence being the second, because it kinda gives the ride a cleaner look(to me). And i hate when people say stuff that ruins the ride
Ex: "Remeber the drop where the ghost poped into your face"

So really i'm just asking what is the personal prefrence from the people of this forum.

(i did search this but i had no idea of what to search for)

-Aeroshen
First Post

mandib

First off welcome to the boards. :wave: Welcome to the completly obsessed, I have no life besides Disney, site. lol :so happy:

I agree with you I like rides that have two seperate loading areas. The worst instance that a ride should have two different areas is not at Disney but at IOA. The hulk. Theres something in the story line that says you might now survive but yet the people who just got off infront of you sure did. Odd right? lol I'm sorry if I'm not making sense way to much homework tonight. :)

Aeroshen

Original Poster
Thank You i feel loved :cry: :)

I think it does say that on The Hulk, and i have been on various rides that say that or its in the drescription of the ride on the map.

DigitalDisney

I see the argument here

However, the brain almost always gives a higher precidence of right now vs recent history. I may not have worded that well, but hear me out...

Take Dinosaur for example. Of course, since the load and unload areas are the same, you know that everybody is going to come back alive and well. However, when you're getting chased by the Carnosaur, or he dives down at the last second, you don't tend to think about the loading area. You're more focused about right now than 2-3 mins ago.

Numerous other rides follow the same pattern. Body Wars, Star Tours, Backlot Tour, 20K used to be that way, POTC is over at DL, etc

That being said, I still prefer the empty vehicle approach. It can either gie you a feeling of privacy (RNRC), or make things a little scarier (TOT)

BwanaBob

I agree with the empty seats coming at you approach.

Gives the feeling of "Next set of victims, please!"

..and it gives that extra touch of "where does everybody go?"

SUSPENCE!

Bairstow

I think the one exception to the rule would be the Animal Kingdom Safaris, where you see empty safari vehicles coming into the station and have to wonder what happens to all the safari guests.

I'll also make an exception for Kali River Rapids, since the loading/unloading platform is actually more interesting than the ride itself.

ThumpersThought

IMO, there are a few things a queue needs to establish:
In Dinasaur: These are "routine" trips to the past, but your group has been picked to go off course and pick up a specimen. So, those others coming through had a boring trip... (again, per story) Same goes for Indiana Jones (Disneyland) where, if you don't look into the eye, it's just a jeep tour (but someone in your car always looks into the eye) Here, the queue is matching story line.

For rides like Splash Mountain: Here, if the exit were elsewhere, you wouldn't see wet people getting off the ride. Seeing those (sometimes) soaked people builds tension ("What will happen to me?"). This is setting up a sense of anticipation (common on thrill type rides)

Space Mountain: At Disneyland, load/unload are the same place -- that could be people arriving from some distant location (DL SM has a "readerboard" of incoming and outgoing shuttles) (well, at least it did before the current remodel) In the current WDW SM, the shuttle aspect is a bit more subtle.

Rockin' Rollercoaster needs to have an empty limo arrive -- because here the story has a "super stretch" being called to pick you up.

So, there's ride efficiency, the creation of anticipation and story line to think about -- one queue does not fit all!

epcotfan

BwanaBob said:

SUSPENCE!

Absolutely!
:D

CAPTAIN HOOK

The rides like SE, RNR, Space & Buzz etc are less cluttered as the previous ride guests have disembarked elsewhere, leaving empty cars and giving an easy going approach. Whereas Splash & BTMR are too busy - people are moved like cattle, prodded (almost), being rushed and evacuated so that the next ride leaves immediately and the line keeps moving.
Give me the empty seats, calm approach anyday

WDWScottieBoy

I think it all varies on the ride itself. I enjoy seeing some cars come back with people on them and some that come back without them, seeing that they became "victims." I agree that once on the ride, you don't think about what just happened. Your addrenaline is so high that you're worried about the "now" and not what happened. Do you even remember what happened right before the suspense started either? I agree that some could be changed but I'm happy with it the way it is now.

Ringo8n24

I feel the separate load/unload rides move quicker. I get too wired-up watching it unload so if I do not see it happen it goes faster in my mind. It may just appear that way, but you tend to load quicker when the ride comes at you vacant...meaning "it's my turn". :sohappy:

disneymoc

Seperate load areas make you feel you actually have the attraction to yourself. Not borrowing it from the people that just got off.

Lauriebar

ThumpersThought said:
In Dinasaur: These are "routine" trips to the past, but your group has been picked to go off course and pick up a specimen. So, those others coming through had a boring trip... (again, per story) Same goes for Indiana Jones (Disneyland) where, if you don't look into the eye, it's just a jeep tour (but someone in your car always looks into the eye) Here, the queue is matching story line.

For rides like Splash Mountain: Here, if the exit were elsewhere, you wouldn't see wet people getting off the ride. Seeing those (sometimes) soaked people builds tension ("What will happen to me?"). This is setting up a sense of anticipation (common on thrill type rides)

Space Mountain: At Disneyland, load/unload are the same place -- that could be people arriving from some distant location (DL SM has a "readerboard" of incoming and outgoing shuttles) (well, at least it did before the current remodel) In the current WDW SM, the shuttle aspect is a bit more subtle.

Rockin' Rollercoaster needs to have an empty limo arrive -- because here the story has a "super stretch" being called to pick you up.

So, there's ride efficiency, the creation of anticipation and story line to think about -- one queue does not fit all!

Very good points!! I was leaning toward the empty car preference until I read your post! Now I think you are right in thinking about story line and building up anticipation in the creation of load areas.

wannab@dis

ThumpersThought said:

very well said! I totally agree that the ride / story should drive the loading scenario and queue.

mrtoad

ThumpersThought said:

Very well said, especially about Splash Mountain. When you see someone getting out of your seat drenched, the suspense builds.

As for the Hulk reference (which I have not been on) I don't think it matters because as far as I know, the only ride I have died on was Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Death was not as bad as I thought it would be. :animwink:

Cynderella

Ringo8n24 said:
I feel the separate load/unload rides move quicker. I get too wired-up watching it unload so if I do not see it happen it goes faster in my mind. It may just appear that way, but you tend to load quicker when the ride comes at you vacant...meaning "it's my turn". :sohappy:

I agree.....Im already excited to get on the ride from waiting however long in line and I hate waiting for people to get out of the seat. Especially people who always get stuck in seatbelts and/or are just plain slow!

doop

BwanaBob said:

SUSPENCE!
You took the words right out of my mouth. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom