Retired Attractions Museum

redfarmer06

Original Poster
I was walking through the dining hall with a good friend the other day (who is also an avid WDW fan) and we were discussing the different old school Disney stuff we loved and miss.

This got me thinking...how cool would it be if Disney World had a museum on property (maybe even in one of the parks) for guests to walk through showcasing props from various retired attractions. For instance, one exhibit could showcase the old Food Rocks/Kitchen Kabaret puppets. Or for those of us that miss Horizons terribly, why not showcase some of the old props, costumes and AAs? Miss Mr. Toad? Maybe there could be a Mr. Toad exhibit with props and ride vehicles? What about some of the old props and AAs from World of Motion?

I dunno, it's just an idea...but what a great way for Disney World fans to relive memories and their childhood? I know that Disney reads these boards, so maybe it's something for them to consider...

What do you guys think?

Hrudey3032

I was walking through the dining hall with a good friend the other day (who is also an avid WDW fan) and we were discussing the different old school Disney stuff we loved and miss.

This got me thinking...how cool would it be if Disney World had a museum on property (maybe even in one of the parks) for guests to walk through showcasing props from various retired attractions. For instance, one exhibit could showcase the old Food Rocks/Kitchen Kabaret puppets. Or for those of us that miss Horizons terribly, why not showcase some of the old props, costumes and AAs? Miss Mr. Toad? Maybe there could be a Mr. Toad exhibit with props and ride vehicles? What about some of the old props and AAs from World of Motion?

I dunno, it's just an idea...but what a great way for Disney World fans to relive memories and their childhood? I know that Disney reads these boards, so maybe it's something for them to consider...

What do you guys think?

I think you maybe on to something and if they were to do something like this I would thinnk it would be at DHS but I truly think they have enough retired attractions that they could truly open a museum and make it profitable.

EPCOT.nut

I would love to see Mr. Toad's Wild Ride parts set up - I am mostly interested in the Hell scene. :lol: I was very serious about that part as a small child.

Hawk

apparently Disney has a lot of unused land still around WDW, how about they build a new theme park but with all the old rides in it? so when a ride is removed from the main parks, rebuild it in the new park, it could be a sort of Retro WDW

Great idea, something for retired rides would be awesome, but it would be even better if some could be reanimated, or have a graveyard resort or park featuring just retired rides. It would be so great to ride Horizons once more...

Enderikari

Walt Disney said:
“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

Walt Disney said:
“Disneyland is like a piece of clay, if there is something I don’t like, I’m not stuck with it. I can reshape and revamp.”

Walt Disney said:
“Disneyland will always be building and growing and adding new things… new ways of having fun, of learning things and sharing the many exciting adventures which may be experienced here in the company of family and friends.”

I think that pretty much sums it up

Mecha Figment

They already have one . it's a secured land fill back on floridian way.

Not a lot of items stll exist from old attractions. if they do they get reused, or burried. For example, they literaly took a sledge hammer to the show scenes to 20,000 leagues under the sea. however some things do end up in the hands of imagineers.

raven

This would be cool. But sadly Disney disposed, burried or sold off most of the props and vehicles from past attractions. Thus they would have to recreate everything all over again and I don't see them doing that.

doop

I really like the idea, but the likeliness of it ever happening are so low. But I agree, I think a museum would be a great idea to keep the memory of past attractions alive.

EPCOT.nut

I just had an idea - I could have a mural artist paint Mr. Toad's hell in my house. I wonder if that will lead to a divorce? hmmmm

EPCOT.nut

Have you been to the Hell in the Disneyland one? It's almost scary...much bigger than ours....plus it's actully hot!

No, I haven't! I really want to go to DL but it is a long way away from home and I have animals that need to be fed and loved here. I can't just up and leave them for days on end. :( They would be very sad and I would miss them terribly!

Blackie Pueblo

I think it's a great idea. Something kind of like what they are doing for the EPCOT anniversary. It would be a great way to remember where the park was. Show our children etc the rides WE remember.

"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
---Walter Elias Disney

Dragonrider1227

I like this idea. Although when you think about it, sometimes the whole park is a museum. I've noticed that everytime they remove an attraction, what replaces it always has some sort of refrence to what it replaced. Like the portrait of Mr. Toad in Owl's house in the Pooh ride for instance.

Ravenclaw87

You know, it's funny you should mention that, because you've kind of just described my dream job. :) (I'm a history major, and would give my right leg to work for the Disney Archives.)

I've had the idea of opening up a Disney museum for a long time... except not just rides, just old memorabilia in general. (Think One Man's Dream but a bigger and better scale.) It could be something educational and fun all at the same time.

CThaddeus

You know, it's funny you should mention that, because you've kind of just described my dream job. :) (I'm a history major, and would give my right leg to work for the Disney Archives.)

I've had the idea of opening up a Disney museum for a long time... except not just rides, just old memorabilia in general. (Think One Man's Dream but a bigger and better scale.) It could be something educational and fun all at the same time.

This is already being done by Walt's daughter Diane in San Francisco's Presidio. It won't focus solely on Disneyland/Disney World, but the entire life of Walt...like the One Man's Dream. I'm not sure when it opens, but I know I'll be making a trip to SF when it does.
As for old attraction pieces, if you want to see quite a few from World of Motion, just take the Backlot Tour. The prop room has a horse, a centaur, lots of signage, a pig, a man in a hot air balloon, and more from the attraction. There's also a see-though body used in Body Wars on display. I was actually kind of surprised none of this stuff made its way into the 25th gallery in Epcot.

DisneyMusician2

I think One Man's Dream could easily be a blueprint for what could be done with a past attractions museum. Audio still exists, and some clips and facts about retro Disney and pointing out those little tributes in new rides could be really interesting. Give our youngsters a piece of the history we all study here...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom