Restored Horizons POV Ride Through Video - Amazing Quality!

wdwms

Original Poster
This is the first video restoration that we are releasing (we released some film restorations two weeks ago)...We couldn't think of a better attraction to start with other than Horizons! Martin Smith, whom you all know from his Ultimate Tributes (www.martinsvids.net) was kind enough to send me this footage from June 1990 for enhancement/restoration.

Full Details and the Video are here: https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/re...ide-through-go-sniff-an-orange-and-watch-this

BoqeuL3CYAAD0ZV.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Very well done! It did bring back memories, most of them good, but, in the back of my mind I thought that I was never impressed with the ending. I knew it was a new thing being able to make the decision to go with four different scenario's, but, I remember it as blurry and hard to really know what you were supposed to be seeing and doing. This film seems to back that up. That isn't your fault, of course, so it really looks nice. Now if you can do that with WoM and Imagination (original) that would be great. ;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Very well done! It did bring back memories, most of them good, but, in the back of my mind I thought that I was never impressed with the ending. I knew it was a new thing being able to make the decision to go with four different scenario's, but, I remember it as blurry and hard to really know what you were supposed to be seeing and doing. This film seems to back that up. That isn't your fault, of course, so it really looks nice. Now if you can do that with WoM and Imagination (original) that would be great. ;)

I think in the later years, those ending films started to show a lot of wear and tear...if only the ride was still around and made digital.

Goofyernmost

The ending films (all 3) were off laserdisc. IIRC the screen itself and plastic window in front was the culprit.
That would certainly explain it and it really was the only negative that impacted me on the entire ride. It got to the point that I just didn't bother with it. I didn't feel, in the least, that I was part of the scene. It was just a cloudy out of focus mess to me. I guess the old guys were capable of less then stellar results too.

WDWResort

This is the first video restoration that we are releasing (we released some film restorations two weeks ago)...We couldn't think of a better attraction to start with other than Horizons! Martin Smith, whom you all know from his Ultimate Tributes (www.martinsvids.net) was kind enough to send me this footage from June 1990 for enhancement/restoration.

Full Details and the Video are here: https://www.retrodisneyworld.com/re...ide-through-go-sniff-an-orange-and-watch-this

BoqeuL3CYAAD0ZV.jpg

Yes, yes! Awesome and thank you!

tl77

I'm amazed how much detail you got in the darker scenes, in the beginning with Jules Verne and the 1950's "neon" future, and I forgot the Space Station had stars around it, this is really great to see

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That would certainly explain it and it really was the only negative that impacted me on the entire ride. It got to the point that I just didn't bother with it. I didn't feel, in the least, that I was part of the scene. It was just a cloudy out of focus mess to me. I guess the old guys were capable of less then stellar results too.
It also didn't help this part was video projection via RGB (like Barcos, but by GE) - apparently they weren't the easiest to maintain / clean.

MikeTaylorSound

Thanks for sharing! This attraction's soundtrack is(was) amazing. I recommend the exit loop for those who have not yet experienced the ride:

Does anyone else get peeved/teary-eyed during Illuminations when Kellie Coffey sings "We can see a new Horizon"?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom