Resort pools and lightning

21stamps

Gee, I think you had it waaay worse than me. I still had water (granted, not hot) and lived in a duplex, so no climbing down 11 stories of dark stairs. My brother's neighborhood got power back days before mine, so I had a place to take a hot shower and get a hot meal at night. And the Saturday after the storm hit, we had a neighborhood barbeque to cook all the food before it spoiled. It was fun. But the beer was warm, lol.

Even the 2004 and 2005 seasons didn't bother me as much as that storm in 1985. But then I don't live in Central/South Florida.....
Hurricane parties are fun!!! Warm beer probably not ;)

I lived in "downtown" Boca Raton then. So we actually were pretty lucky. The city isn't going to let that area be down too long. We went 8 days without water, about 2 weeks without electricity, and about 2 months without cable/internet.

People west of US1 and especially I95 went a heck of a lot longer. We had a 7pm curfew and you weren't allowed to put more than $20 gas in your car at a time- that's if and when you could find an intact gas station and willing to wait in line for 4 hours. There was one open restaurant near us- charging $45 for a piece of grilled chicken. No sides. They couldn't be guilty of "price gauging" bc that was the normal price -- but normal price included more than a tiny piece of chicken.
My house guest were from the Keys, they evacuated to me bc Wilma was originally supposed to hit them. Obviously my house wasn't the best evacuation spot... Not to mention I technically was supposed to have evacuated myself.lol

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I can imagine. Wilma was late but one it was soooo hot!! I lived in a high rise (mid rise actually) on the top floor- 11 at that time. Our building had generators for the hallways, service elevators, billiards room, spa/shower room, and mail room.
The first few days we went down to the spa rooms to shower.lol. BUT- everyone was linking extension cord after cord after cord after more cords-- I can't even count how many cords!! They were charging phones, laptops, hot plates for coffee etc. So - within 72 hours our generators blew out.
Like I said, I lived on the top floor and now post generator had no elevator access. We were going down the stairs in a dark stairwell with flashlights, to the pool, filling up a bucket of water, and then back up. I had enough bottles of water to drink- wash up- brush our teeth- but not enough to flush the toilets...we needed the pool water for that.
I had 5 guests with candles all over the condo.
I literally had a crying breakdown one day while charging my phone in my car.
It. Was. Hell.

I do realize that some people had it a whole lot worse, so I'm grateful that our inconveniences were temporary.

#hurricanessuck ;).

2005 I think we had a few summer hurricanes. That year was just horrible. I'd still gladly take any of that over a tornado!!!!

That's why you clean the bathtub with bleach and fill it up with water.... to flush the toilets.

I read that the best way to keep you food cold was to fill up your washing machine with ice and put the food from the frig in there. Once you get power back, you just let the ice melt and run the washing machine. I tested it out several times during those two years (we got fringes of some of those storms and of course, lost power for a day). Really works. Of course, you need a top load washing machine. I used the melted ice to wash a load of dark clothes since it was free cold water.

21stamps

That's why you clean the bathtub with bleach and fill it up with water.... to flush the toilets.

I read that the best way to keep you food cold was to fill up your washing machine with ice and put the food from the frig in there. Once you get power back, you just let the ice melt and run the washing machine. I tested it out several times during those two years (we got fringes of some of those storms and of course, lost power for a day). Really works. Of course, you need a top load washing machine. I used the melted ice to wash a load of dark clothes since it was free cold water.
Wow I never heard of the washing machine thing! That's awesome! I had front loaders so I guess I would have been out of luck though.

I did fill one bathtub partially with water beforehand, not ice though. I did purchase 2 large coolers.. But the problem was being able to make anything! We ate a lot of fruits and veggies but once those were out we couldn't buy more. Publix was nearly all empty shelves and no produce. I walked to a nearby Fresh Market (similar to whole foods market) and the only water they had left was 6 huge bottle of Fiji. Using Fiji water to brush your teeth feels like ripping up dollar bills.lol.

To be quite honest, there was so many hurricanes over the past 12 month period- that ended up being minor electricity loss etc, that I just didn't expect it to actually be as bad as it was. You prepare so many times for something that ends up not happening that I guess you get sloppy- or I did at least.

I lived the hell of Andrew so I should have known better.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Hurricane parties are fun!!! Warm beer probably not ;)

I lived in "downtown" Boca Raton then. So we actually were pretty lucky. The city isn't going to let that area be down too long. We went 8 days without water, about 2 weeks without electricity, and about 2 months without cable/internet.

People west of US1 and especially I95 went a heck of a lot longer. We had a 7pm curfew and you weren't allowed to put more than $20 gas in your car at a time- that's if and when you could find an intact gas station and willing to wait in line for 4 hours. There was one open restaurant near us- charging $45 for a piece of grilled chicken. No sides. They couldn't be guilty of "price gauging" bc that was the normal price -- but normal price included more than a tiny piece of chicken.
My house guest were from the Keys, they evacuated to me bc Wilma was originally supposed to hit them. Obviously my house wasn't the best evacuation spot... Not to mention I technically was supposed to have evacuated myself.lol

Wow, just wow. We had a curfew the first two nights, mainly to keep people off the roads so they could clear all the downed trees.

We up here in North Florida are somewhat protected from hurricanes. If they get to our part of the Gulf, they have a tendency to head towards Texas. But Katrina was projected to make a beeline for the Apalachicola Bay, so we escaped that one. Not so for poor Gulfport and NOLA. :-(

The last major storm to hit our area was Dennis. Devastated Panacea, St. Marks, St. George and the oyster industry.

Now that we've hijacked a thread on resort pools and lightening to swap stories about surviving hurricanes in Florida. ;-) But quite frankly, valuable knowledge for those who just visit here occasionally.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wow I never heard of the washing machine thing! That's awesome! I had front loaders so I guess I would have been out of luck though.

I did fill one bathtub partially with water beforehand, not ice though. I did purchase 2 large coolers.. But the problem was being able to make anything! We ate a lot of fruits and veggies but once those were out we couldn't buy more. Publix was nearly all empty shelves and no produce. I walked to a nearby Fresh Market (similar to whole foods market) and the only water they had left was 6 huge bottle of Fiji. Using Fiji water to brush your teeth feels like ripping up dollar bills.lol.

To be quite honest, there was so many hurricanes over the past 12 month period- that ended up being minor electricity loss etc, that I just didn't expect it to actually be as bad as it was. You prepare so many times for something that ends up not happening that I guess you get sloppy- or I did at least.

I lived the hell of Andrew so I should have known better.

You lived through both Andrew AND Wilma?! You might want to rethink living in the Midwest... sounds like you've got bad karma when it comes to weather.

I know we've not had a storm in 10 years (and they can stay away for another 10), but a lot of people have moved to Florida since 2005 and even we old timers have gotten complacent. However, when it's reported that a tropical depression has formed in the Gulf, I start to worry... and fill up those bathtubs....

21stamps

Wow, just wow. We had a curfew the first two nights, mainly to keep people off the roads so they could clear all the downed trees.

We up here in North Florida are somewhat protected from hurricanes. If they get to our part of the Gulf, they have a tendency to head towards Texas. But Katrina was projected to make a beeline for the Apalachicola Bay, so we escaped that one. Not so for poor Gulfport and NOLA. :-(

The last major storm to hit our area was Dennis. Devastated Panacea, St. Marks, St. George and the oyster industry.

Now that we've hijacked a thread on resort pools and lightening to swap stories about surviving hurricanes in Florida. ;-) But quite frankly, valuable knowledge for those who just visit here occasionally.
I think Dennis is the one that hit Biloxi too if I remember correctly. We used to do a round trip flight/1 night stay awesome value deal with the Grand leaving from FLL. I remember seeing photos after and being so sad at the devastation.. haven't been to Biloxi since it's been rebuilt but have heard it's completely repaired.

I do think it's important for people to know that things like closing a pool for lightening in the area is a necessary precaution. Even though it's an annoying one. There are more deaths/injuries in Florida from lightening/falling trees/pop up storms on land or sea, than there are from things such as an alligator attack.
Lucky for us WDW has mostly inside attractions, so you can still enjoy the parks when it happens :)

21stamps

You lived through both Andrew AND Wilma?! You might want to rethink living in the Midwest... sounds like you've got bad karma when it comes to weather.

I know we've not had a storm in 10 years (and they can stay away for another 10), but a lot of people have moved to Florida since 2005 and even we old timers have gotten complacent. However, when it's reported that a tropical depression has formed in the Gulf, I start to worry... and fill up those bathtubs....
Shhh don't say that!!! I hope to never ever never be in an area where a tornado hits!!!

Yes those storms were devastating, and again I know that I'm lucky to not have lost any loved ones or suffer complete devastation to my house. But- Even with the hurricanes and tropical storms I absolutely loved and still love South Florida.

I hope it's another 10 years before Florida has a repeat of 2004/2005.

21stamps

I took these photos a few months ago. (With my phone so not best quality). But it's amazing to watch a storm come in. Look how calm the water is before it hits. The last photo was a small water spout.

Crazy weather in Florida - but also a good opportunity to explain weather patterns to your kids :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 30

Turtlekrawl

Original Poster
OK fine - you've all convinced me there's no issue here. Still think a couple of bad calls this week, but better safe than sorry for sure. If being honest with myself, I think I'm more upset that the bar closed along with the pool every time.

21stamps

OK fine - you've all convinced me there's no issue here. Still think a couple of bad calls this week, but better safe than sorry for sure. If being honest with myself, I think I'm more upset that the bar closed along with the pool every time.
Ha ha. Now that I agree with!!! No cause for the bar to close! ;)

bethymouse

At Animal Kingdom Lodge last year they "evacuated" the entire pool area. You couldn't even sit at the pool. Everything was closed, yet no storm ever came around!:eek:

Polydweller

Just had to add another story about why places are extremely cautious about lightning. In the mid seventies golfer Lee Trevino and his playing partner were hit by lightning while sitting under an umbrella. Except they weren't hit directly. They were on the 13th hole and the lightning hit a tree on the 11th hole, travelled through the marsh, across the ground entered their bodies and exited through their spines. Trevino had two back operations and his partner one.

In other words, you don't have to be at the direct strike spot just somewhere in the path of the electricity. That's why extreme caution needs to be taken and why no decision with lightning within 10 miles is a bad call.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom