Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobotWolf

I would take the preshows of any of the attractions at the MtM building over the actual shows. It's always been a theater show pretending to be a ride.

SteamboatJoe

Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain....

Highly themed, styalised and very idealistic but virtually no story.

They may not have an overtly straightforward story from start to finish but wouldn't you say each of those concepts, or at least the first two, in general, have some semblance of one? On Jungle Cruise you have CM pretending to be your guide through exotic lands. Haunted Mansion has the whole Sea Captain angle that is alluded to. I'll admit Space Mountain's concept is really lacking in any true story, real or imagined. Maybe I'm mistakenly conflating the ideas of theme and story and/or am just not understanding. No doubt what they built in Shanghai looks nice and riding through the dark on light cycle sounds cool but I'd least like to be given a reason as to why I am on that cycle. Perhaps that's just my personal preference.

britain

The classic Disney attractions were inspired by genres rather than specific stories. And they were designed to imply a whole bunch of stories going on without any specific storyline.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because management is stupid compared to us armchair imagineers!
(Maybe we need some kind of revolution where we overthrow management and place people in power who WE want running things!)

Let the people design the park and it will be nothing but people movers and monorails.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The classic Disney attractions were inspired by genres rather than specific stories. And they were designed to imply a whole bunch of stories going on without any specific storyline.

Some... some of the classic Disney were genre-themed. Some classic ones were themed off a pre-existing film, e.g. Peter Pan, Tea Cups.

NoTime42

Just looked over on the site ending in nt... it appears as though DL and Honda are announcing something tomorrow regarding their speedway, Autopia. I'm sure it won't be anything too exciting but interesting nonetheless
It would be great if they would repower the Speedway with quieter, smoother, less smelly Honda engines.

yensidtlaw1969

A ride without a story does not strike me as being very Disney. I live north of the Mason-Dixon line in the Great Lakes region. If I want a thrill ride without a story, I can save a lot of money by staying local and going to any number of regional parks within a few hours drive owned by Cedar Fair and/or Six Flags.
I meant the characters and story from the film specifically, but would still say that Martin's post just below yours sums things up nicely. There's plenty of building that can be done by Imagineering with a Tron design framework that would make for a compelling (and uniquely Disney) attraction. Let's hope they go for it.

JoeCamel

As always...

Because management is stupid compared to us armchair imagineers!
(Maybe we need some kind of revolution where we overthrow management and place people in power who WE want running things!)
We just buy enough stock to be able to call the shots. Management by committee, that will turn out well...

design.jpg

I do understand what you mean though.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
To give some perspective on this, there is a room off the Tomorrowland tunnel where you can look up and literally see the bottoms of the seats in the MtM theaters. There's nothing but space between your seat bottom and the concrete floor about 1.5 floors down. It's safe. It just doesn't look safe from down there. Similar to the HM speed belts.

The point is, these structures don't sit on "the basement," they extend through and contain the basement.
So, any chance they can make those seats spin?

cheezbat

We just buy enough stock to be able to call the shots. Management by committee, that will turn out well...

View attachment 195465

I do understand what you mean though.
Hahahaha

Seeing as how any project seems to go through 300 people before it's greenlit in Disney anyway...I see a committee run by us to be able to actually get something accomplished with far less people and money lol.

Haymarket2008

It would be nice. But management aren't thinking like we are.

What is their reasoning for not putting a new build (Guardians) into Tommorowland and solving a host of problems? One of which is saving the Energy pavilion. Are they JUST desperate to close the pavilion? Or is their a reason why they don't think TL is a good fit for Guardians?

Daveeeeed

What is their reasoning for not putting a new build (Guardians) into Tommorowland and solving a host of problems? One of which is saving the Energy pavilion. Are they JUST desperate to close the pavilion? Or is their a reason why they don't think TL is a good fit for Guardians?
They pretty much have to ether update or replace Energy. Of course I'd prefer the former, but I would prefer an E-ticket any day over neving getting a new attraction. Energy has always been one of my favorite rides, but it really is starting to slip. It has so many cool ideas though... and it has ips in it like Jeopardy, and really Ellen & Bill Nye too. If they could incorporate an ip into an attraction themed to Energy -- IMAGINE THAT!

That's why I hope the Seas gets updated. It needs it as it is an ip that can be used to help teach about the ocean.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

They pretty much have to ether update or replace Energy. Of course I'd prefer the former, but I would prefer an E-ticket any day over neving getting a new attraction. Energy has always been one of my favorite rides, but it really is starting to slip. It has so many cool ideas though... and it has ips in it like Jeopardy, and really Ellen & Bill Nye too. If they could incorporate an ip into an attraction themed to Energy -- IMAGINE THAT!

That's why I hope the Seas gets updated. It needs it as it is an ip that can be used to help teach about the ocean.

Energy as it is needs a lot of money spending on it. The Ellen IP package would also need to be completely re done. This is seen as fixing the buildings problems, fixing the IP and adding a new Disney IP -as per Chapek - in one go.

They could always go with the alternate overlay proposal that would be more fitting to the park but corporate didn't like it as much. Synergy and all that. Even if it's detrimental to the wider park.

Daveeeeed

Energy as it is needs a lot of money spending on it. The Ellen IP package would also need to be completely re done. This is seen as fixing the buildings problems, fixing the IP and adding a new Disney IP -as per Chapek - in one go.

They could always go with the alternate overlay proposal that would be more fitting to the park but corporate didn't like it as much. Synergy and all that. Even if it's detrimental to the wider park.
Unfortunately I guess it's the way it is:p.
Thanks!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Just saw this on the internet. Do not know anything about in personally.

RUMOR – Shanghai’s ‘Tron’ Coaster Replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway in Walt Disney World?

http://thekingdominsider.com/rumor-...cing-tomorrowland-speedway-walt-disney-world/

Greetings, Programs! Is the popular Tron Lightcycle Power Run roller coaster making its way from Shanghai Disneyland to Walt Disney World? That’s a rumor making the rounds courtesy of “insider” Jim Hill.

According to the rumor, the Tron coaster would replace the aging Tomorrowland Speedway during a proposed revamp of Tomorrowland. While the Speedway has been a fixture of the Magic Kingdom since opening day in 1971, it certainly does take up a lot of valuable real estate and doesn’t fit the futuristic theme of Tomorrowland.

The same attraction has been demolished in both the Hong Kong and Tokyo parks, and has recently been re-themed (as Autopia) in Disneyland.

Today’s guests want thrill rides. And the Speedway just isn’t all that thrilling anymore. To be honest, it never really was.

And it doesn’t have the nostalgic charm of say, The Enchanted Tiki Room or even The Carousel of Progress. I don’t think many would mourn the loss of the Tomorrowland Speedway if they knew they were getting something like this…

TheOrangeBird01

Hasn't Disneyland's speedway always been themed as Autopia ...? Lol just thought that comment was weird.

Anyway I thought this rumour was debunked by our insiders but maybe something has changed since then. I personally don't really care that much about the Tomorrowland Speedway but I know my family likes it. It's simple, fun, and brings enjoyment to most people without being a "thrill" ride.

Personally, I would love the Tron coaster to be added to the MK. I'm just not sure if it will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom