Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monorail_Orange

So assuming the plans that Lee and Martin have dropped hints about come to fruition, then color me impressed. This is kind of project we want Disney to take on. In this case, the clone of the TRON lightcycle run is impressive. The re-imagining of the speedway into the concept Lee has shed a bit of light on; equally impressive. True Disney-level impressive. Almost makes me scared of what happens once they show this plan to the TDO bean counters.

21stamps

That also seems unlikely to me.
I could see their adding the Shanghai Tron ride, maybe as a replacement to the Speedway, but an outdoor overlay of the speedway with the Tron theme, in the daylight Florida sun, seems incongruous at best. I definitely can't see their doing both, especially when Tron is not a money-making property in terms of other media or merchandise.

I guess we will find out tomorrow. Just sounds very strange, I'll be shocked if it happens.

Is there any Disney park that has 2 attractions based on the same movie, in a land not dedicated to the theme of the specific movie/s?

21stamps

I agree its strange, but I believe the two are tied together, so will be handled as only one project, at least that is what I think I read into what @Lee and @marni1971 suggested. So it will be like a mini-land.
it's interesting...a few months ago I was reading about Sugarrush at the Speedway or Stitch, now Tron has taken over. To me, this feels like the best fit for Tomorrowland :)

Am I the only one here who hasn't thought about Tron since the 1980s?

trainplane3

I watched the original exactly once maybe 6 years ago. And the new one exactly once in theaters. And really didn't care about either. I don't think I even fully understood the plot in the first place.
-Gets sucked into computer
-Wants to get out (Legacy: wants to find dad too)
-Forced to compete in games
-Escapes
This covers both movies basically.
Honestly not the best movies, but I'm a complete sucker for the aesthetic of them so I still love them. Besides, the soundtrack for Legacy was great.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Now the Speedway and a coaster are both going to be Tron themed?
That's a big investment in a single movie.

I'm calling slim chance on that one.lol

This is what gets some off-site rumormongers in trouble. They try to guess what's happening or surmise what Disney should do and get it wrong so often. It's better to talk about what we heard will likely happen from reliable insiders and then, once the reality is established and we resign ourselves to it, then voice our opinion.

disneygeek90

-Gets sucked into computer
-Wants to get out (Legacy: wants to find dad too)
-Forced to compete in games
-Escapes
This covers both movies basically.
Honestly not the best movies, but I'm a complete sucker for the aesthetic of them so I still love them. Besides, the soundtrack for Legacy was great.
Yep, not ringing many bells. I do remember some bits with the dad in the new version.

Grimley1968

After years of watching WDW either lose attractions or remake existing attractions into other attractions, this is pretty exciting to me, if it comes to pass. It would a) transform one of my least favorite attractions into a possibly decent attraction that my kids would actually be interested in (well, maybe my grandkids someday) especially if they're electric powered and go a little faster than the riding lawn mowers they have now, and b) would actually ADD an attraction next to it, and from what I can tell, that would be an E-ticket.

Sorry to anyone who has nostalgic memories of Speedway, but even when I was the target age for that ride, the only thing I enjoyed about it was being able to ride with a parent. There was and is nothing else that ride offers me, and my kids have always disliked it. A Tron theme and updated cars, while not completely tearing out the entire ride, would be a major step in the right direction for an area that's supposed to be futuristic. I've long thought that Speedway is a waste of prime real estate for WDW: a relatively unpopular attraction (compared to most other MK attractions) on a large lot. Now it appears they're doing something about it. Good for WDW if it indeed happens.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I guess we will find out tomorrow. Just sounds very strange, I'll be shocked if it happens.

Is there any Disney park that has 2 attractions based on the same movie, in a land not dedicated to the theme of the specific movie/s?

Your stipulation only excludes Pandora, since Pandora is the only land so far (in WDW) that is dedicated to one movie franchise.

One could argue that TTA and Space Mountain are a paired set of attractions, though, not based on a movie. For that we need to go to BoG restaurant with Belle's Tale next door... and if some people had their way, the BoG ride would be plopped down next to it. Then there's FEA next to the Sommerhus M&G. Princess Fairy Tale Hall next to Cinderella Castle. PotC with a pirate show with Captain Jack next to it. Then there's Star Tours next to Jedi Academy and the Jedi movie. Launch Bay next to all the SW stuff that happens in DHS hub. Then there's Nemo ride next to Turtle Talk.

And that's just if we limit ourselves 'to the same land'. If we don't do that then there's lots of attractions based on a single movie franchise: BatB, Mermaid, and Frozen are all over the place.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I could see their adding the Shanghai Tron ride, maybe as a replacement to the Speedway, but an outdoor overlay of the speedway with the Tron theme, in the daylight Florida sun, seems incongruous at best.

If the Tron Racers are aiming for the same demographic that Speedway was shooting for... I don't think their main customers would care. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom