Reopening Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

lucille-bluth.gif
If enough people do that, we can indeed enjoy masks indefinitely.

ToTBellHop

Asymptotic spread post-vaccination remains a distinct possibility though. So until we reach herd immunity, stock up on those mask.

Also the risk of new vaccine-resistant strains is still very much prevalent.
It will continue to spread. The vaccines are (thus far) 100% effective against death from COVID-19 and about as effective against hospitalization. If we can knock down COVID-19 to a flu situation, masks and distancing go away.

We manage the flu mutating all the time.

Keep in mind, the JnJ vaccine, which is not the best vaccine, is still 57% effective at preventing illness against the S. African strain. That is to say, it’s still more effective than the flu vaccine.

cmwade77

Exactly and I think the more of us that just succumb to this kind of thinking, the more it may actually make it a reality. We can’t let the powers that be think we are Ok with that.
We need to get back to reminding government officials that they our are representatives, not our leaders. We dictate what is to be done and they help implement it, not the other way around.

cmwade77

It will continue to spread. The vaccines are (thus far) 100% effective against death from COVID-19 and about as effective against hospitalization. If we can knock down COVID-19 to a flu situation, masks and distancing go away.

Can we get rid of masks but please keep some form of distancing? I have admittedly been enjoying the personal space. And for those in wheelchairs and ECVs, the clear aisles in stores and walkways are a huge benefit that shouldn't be overlooked.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Agree. I’m just saying based on current rates of vaccine hesitancy I don’t foresee us getting to flu-level stabilization for a minimum of 18-24 months at best. And that’s assuming no vaccine resistant variants emerge.

But hey, we have smart medical folks here that know more than I do... 😉

ToTBellHop

Can we get rid of masks but please keep some form of distancing? I have admittedly been enjoying the personal space. And for those in wheelchairs and ECVs, the clear aisles in stores and walkways are a huge benefit that shouldn't be overlooked.
Please! I never want to hear a CM telling a stranger to be 2 inches from my butt again in line for a ride. 6 feet is a bit much, but I’d love 3 feet between groups in the future.
Agree. I’m just saying based on current rates of vaccine hesitancy I don’t foresee us getting to flu-level stabilization for a minimum of 18-24 months at best. And that’s assuming no vaccine resistant variants emerge.

But hey, we have smart medical folks here that know more than I do... 😉
Ok, so I’ve researched the science extensively from the epidemiological side and I’ve also spoken with public health officials. Epidemiologists want there to be no infections (that’s their goal as scientists), so they fixate on spread and mutation and come to conclusions that might work on lab rats but not in society. Public Health officials are responsive to how society functions. If we get to a point where everyone who wants vaccine (and even the fence sitters who will come over to the light side this summer) has received it (and we must include kids), hospitalizations and deaths will fall dramatically. At that point, they will no longer be able to mandate public health measures as there will be no public support.

We won’t (and can’t) keep schools, businesses, and the rest of society closed over people who claim they don’t wear seatbelts because “GOVERNMENT CONTROL!”

There won’t be an overnight return to normality, but you’ll start to feel it in May and things will feel more and more normal as we head into the holidays.

Sailor310

I completely agree. I watched part of this video yesterday, and I had almost forgotten what normal life is like. Even stuff like eating in a restaurant feels different now with masks (I'm not in CA). It's like there's a cloud over everything.

It also made me realize that I have little interest in a reduced capacity, masked theme park experience. It would be fun, but not the same. But I want Disneyland open asap- if only to get the ball rolling and start to shift things back to normal.

Boy, I won't miss the crowds! Also, watching folks reading a map makes me think they've already lost the battle if they didn't research fast passes, single rider and study what rides are where before they walked into a crowded park.

SuddenStorm

Original Poster
Boy, I won't miss the crowds! Also, watching folks reading a map makes me think they've already lost the battle if they didn't research fast passes, single rider and study what rides are where before they walked into a crowded park.

That's a significant issue with modern Disneyland. Between Fastpass and Maxpass, Photopass, Dining reservations, Dining packages for shows, fastpasses for shows that have different rules then normal Fastpass- how is someone who's never been before supposed to have a great experience?

Disstevefan1

Pardon my ignorance, but is it of current belief that masks will still be needed later this year, even when the vaccine is widely available and everyone who wants it has been able to get it?

I just want my old life back. :(
The Mask requirement is so insignificant compared to all the changes we have seen and will see in both WDW and eventually DLR.

There were so many losses in entertainment “due to COVID” at WDW, many never to return, and If they return, will return less than they were.

The loss of the AP as we know it at DLR, I am betting there will no longer be a “go anytime” AP and going forward there will always be blackouts and park reservations needed, well after the pandemic is long gone.

The loss of Magical Express at WDW.

I am betting, WDW AP will also be packed with restrictions, blackouts and require reservations.

We will see what happens...

Sailor310

That's a significant issue with modern Disneyland. Between Fastpass and Maxpass, Photopass, Dining reservations, Dining packages for shows, fastpasses for shows that have different rules then normal Fastpass- how is someone who's never been before supposed to have a great experience?
I've been going on and off since 1965 and I still pay the $8 for a subscription to Touring Plans and run plans to optimize my day when I'm tour-guiding family. I also always check the crowd levels to pick the best day to go. Having said all that, I am a mildly OCD engineer.

Last edited:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I completely agree. I watched part of this video yesterday, and I had almost forgotten what normal life is like. Even stuff like eating in a restaurant feels different now with masks (I'm not in CA). It's like there's a cloud over everything.

It also made me realize that I have little interest in a reduced capacity, masked theme park experience. It would be fun, but not the same. But I want Disneyland open asap- if only to get the ball rolling and start to shift things back to normal.

Watching some of this video literally MADE my day, thanks for sharing.....was supposed to visit there last September for first time and just hearing the sounds and seeing all the greenery was a great escape.....:cool:.....can't wait to be there in person someday....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom