Remember When...

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Hi everyone...

Here is a fun thread to talk about the changes Disney made for the better or worse.

Please write down a certain memory that you will never forget.

Please write which park, what was changed and what is there now!

example:
My favorite ride in Tommorowland was "If you had wings". My family used to go to Disney World every two years. We always flyed on Eastern Airlines. We always rode that ride. Although, the replacement ride, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, is pretty good!

Maria

Remember there was a double decker bus to tour around World Showcase?
Then were used as the "Junkanoo Bus" with that reggae band, and are now used for characters. :animwink:

DisneyWorld30th

Original Poster
Speaking about the World Showcase...I remember when each country had doll-like charcters. They were about 8-10 feet tall (or it seemed that big...I was a kid). I have old pictures with these charcters from a trip in 1983.

BigNorm

Remember Mission to Mars. It was replaced by Alien Encounter, which is by the way, a far superior attraction. Even though it messes with you a little bit. :eek:

Dawn S

Good one, Maria....I miss the Junkanoo!!! :(

My absolute favorite was the penny arcade, but alas, Mickey dolls take over Main Street! :rolleyes:

Maria

"Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your naaame.... and they´re always glad you caaaame...." :animwink:

"Nooooorm!!";)

Buzzforprez

I agree. The Penny Arcade had the absolute oldest games yet I spent more time and money in there than I ever have in any of the other gamerooms on site. Something about the antique games was always facinating to me. And they were always kept in great shape. Wonder where they sent them all to? Any ideas? I saw an old soccer game in the Main Street Train Depot last year.

jah4955

Many of the old machines of the former Penny Arcade can be found inside the Walt Disney World Railroad station. Most of them are still in working order. I also noticed that some former Penny Arcade machines can be throughout Disney's Boardwalk.

Mufasa_AC

World of Motion for one. While Test Track is a worthy replacement, World of Motion was better than almost every other attraction in Epcot.

Free roaming characters is another. I miss the excitement of not knowing when or where the characters would appear. Unfortunately unruly tour groups forced a more structured, formal encounter with them.

DisJosh

Originally posted by Maria
"Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your naaame.... and they´re always glad you caaaame...." :animwink:

"Nooooorm!!";)

Maria, my friends and I are really an odd bunch...nerds I guess. Last night after a concert while leaving the parking lot (a LONG process) we played a CD full of theme songs really loud...on it was the cheers song. We got some looks lol. :D

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I miss the excitement of not knowing when or where the characters would appear. Unfortunately unruly tour groups forced a more structured, formal encounter with them.

I thought it was impatient over indulged little brats that were the problem, or worse still handicam weilding loud mouthed dobbers who beleived that possession of camera entitled them to cut right in.:mad:

At least now you get a chance of some decent shots without behaving as if youre in a press pack.

PaisleyMF

I thought it was impatient over indulged little brats that were the problem, or worse still handicam weilding loud mouthed dobbers who beleived that possession of camera entitled them to cut right in.

In that manner one time there was this caracter performer (in Goofy) and we where on line for just a lousy picture of him and my sister (who at the moment loved Goofy) and him took us out of the line in a push just to take a picture with the next person in line... always regreted that since was her first time on Disney.

But my Favorite show/ ride/ has to be World Of Motion, Illuminations 25 and Now ToT and Alien Encounter

kaos

"Nooooorm!!";)

SPAM hehe... not that this isn't..

Have to say, I miss watching Cheers on Thursday nites. My phrase in my High School year-end paper was "Call me later, Cheers is on". You have no idea how many people would call during that 1 half hour.

Women, can't live with them.... pass the beer nuts"

OK.. felt bad, so I edited instead of posting a second... No spam for me.. hehe

The Swan Boats. I remember going to DL in 77, then WDW in 78 and riding the swan boats. For some reason, the lack of the boats really makes the WDW castle a little less special. At least DL still has swans, but I don't think that they would appreciate being ridden... hehe :hammer:

DisJosh

Originally posted by kaos

SPAM hehe... not that this isn't..

Have to say, I miss watching Cheers on Thursday nites. My phrase in my High School year-end paper was "Call me later, Cheers is on". You have no idea how many people would call during that 1 half hour.

Women, can't live with them.... pass the beer nuts"

OK.. felt bad, so I edited instead of posting a second... No spam for me.. hehe

The Swan Boats. I remember going to DL in 77, then WDW in 78 and riding the swan boats. For some reason, the lack of the boats really makes the WDW castle a little less special. At least DL still has swans, but I don't think that they would appreciate being ridden... hehe :hammer:

Ummm no worries...it's spam if you do it to intentionally boost your post count.

The phrase you're looking for is 'thread drift'...it's ok in my book. ;)

Maria

Yeah... it was a "thread drift" because I saw BigNorm´s avatar, but while I posted it, Dawn posted, so it didn´t look that fitting after that. I just loved Cheers too!
....and just to wrapp up about Cheers, me and my friends went to Boston and had to go to the bar that inspired the series! We waited for a table that had the Cheers sign on the wall behind of it, so we could take the perfect picture of our dinner there! lol I can´t remember the name of the original place, but their NE clam chowder was huge and delicious! mmmm!

Sorry about the thread drift.... please continue with the memories! :animwink:

P.S. I just remembered.... long time ago there was a show at USF I think, in which you would see how a scene of Cheers was made, no? I remember it was live, the bar was there, but I´m not sure where I saw it. It could have been there or in L.A. Does anyone know? :veryconfu

kaos

Yeah... it was a "thread drift" because I saw BigNorm´s avatar, but while I posted it, Dawn posted, so it didn´t look that fitting after that. I just loved Cheers too!
....and just to wrapp up about Cheers, me and my friends went to Boston and had to go to the bar that inspired the series! We waited for a table that had the Cheers sign on the wall behind of it, so we could take the perfect picture of our dinner there! lol I can´t remember the name of the original place, but their NE clam chowder was huge and delicious! mmmm!

Sorry about the thread drift.... please continue with the memories! :animwink:

P.S. I just remembered.... long time ago there was a show at USF I think, in which you would see how a scene of Cheers was made, no? I remember it was live, the bar was there, but I´m not sure where I saw it. It could have been there or in L.A. Does anyone know? :veryconfu

Bull and Finch Pub.

I was actually in that show, but I was in a different scene... I was the mad husband with the cool derby and raincoat. I looked like a flasher because, well, I had on shorts and a long rain coat... all you could see was my very hairy legs. hehe They had so many copyright laws, you couldn't video or even take stills... come to think of it, it may have been at Disney Studios in WDW... I did a few of those... if you saw it in Florida Maria, it may have been the TV Screentest attraction that is now Millionaire.. actually, I think that is where it was. OK.. Now I'm rambling. :hammer: :brick:

Maria

Originally posted by kaos

Bull and Finch Pub.

I was actually in that show, but I was in a different scene... I was the mad husband with the cool derby and raincoat. I looked like a flasher because, well, I had on shorts and a long rain coat... all you could see was my very hairy legs. hehe They had so many copyright laws, you couldn't video or even take stills... come to think of it, it may have been at Disney Studios in WDW... I did a few of those... if you saw it in Florida Maria, it may have been the TV Screentest attraction that is now Millionaire.. actually, I think that is where it was. OK.. Now I'm rambling. :hammer: :brick:

Thanks! Yeah... I guess it was at the Disney Studios... I have a blurry memory of where I was and who I was with! But yeah... it was the TV Screentest attraction. :animwink:

MKingdom25

I like it back in the day when Carousel of Progress was open all the time and wasn't "seasonal."
And one of the newest things I miss it early entry days!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I remember when I was younger my family would always get food to go and we'd hope on the skyway in MK and we'd eat up in the air looking down on everything. It's too bad that they closed that, but it's undertstandable with all the hurricanes and such. Oh well... *sigh*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom