Refurbished Rooms At Por

LisaStockman

My husband and I are coming over to stay at POR from the UK on Sept 28th.

This will be our 1st time staying in a WDW resort so we are really excited.

Having read all your comments regarding the room at POR we think we would most like the Mansion area.

Does anyone know if any of the Mansion area has been refurbished recently?

How far is it to walk from the Mansion area to the boat for Downtown Disney?

And finally ....sorry....would anyone like to recommend a restaurant to go to before the 9pm La Nouba show?

Many thanks guys

Lisa

Only 8 weeks to go .... and counting

Moonshadow1

For your restaurant question go to www.allearsnet.com and look up downtown disney restaurants, They even have sample menus.

I have eaten at the portobello yatch club, wolfgang pucks, pucks express, and rainforest cafe. Of those four the rainforest cafe was the best. followed by the express.

This year we are going to try the House of Blues before the show.

Upvote 0

WDWScottieBoy

I have always stayed at POR and never stayed in a Mansion room only because we think the Bayou rooms are the best and offer more privacy. They also have more pools closer to them too, I think. As far as eating before Cirque, it depends on how much you want to spend. I personally LOVE Fulton's Crab House there. It had the best steak I have ever had and everyone else that was with me thought their food was the best they had ever eaten as well. It is rather pricey there but I think it's worth it. If you want to eat at Planet Hollywood, the decor is awesome while the food is typcial. You basically pay for the atmosphere. All the restaurants there are excellent. You might even want to eat at POR for dinner. They have a nice sit-down restaurant there. By the way, I love POR food court! You'll love your trip, let us know what you think!

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Hi Lisa,

I am not sure what buildings have been done yet. It is a year long rehab so I would make sure I called because you probably don't want to be next door to a building with construction going on.

I have a few recomendations. I have stayed both in Port Orleans Riverside and French Qtr. I do like Riverside better but both or very nice. I have only stayed in the Bayou section of Riverside and not the Manor side. We have always chosen the Bayou section for a few reasons. One, they seem more private. Two, even though they seem more private most are closer to the main building than the manors. We have stayed there 4 times.

My recommendation would be to call and see what has been rehabed already (which I would think would be limited as they only started end March). If they tell you that only a few buildings have been rehabed and they are all near each other meaning you will be near the construction, I would then see if I could stay in the French Qtr. The reason for that is when we went in Feb. it was really due for rehab. Our beds in the room were pretty shot and it was the first time I had experienced that. My back was aching all week.

That is just my recommendation. I would just think that you would not want to be too close to construction and now want to be uncomfortable. The French Qtr, is very nice as well.

Just my 2 cents.

What ever you do, enjoy it!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hey there!!! As of the last time I was there I believe all of the Mansion houses had been done, Parterre Place was still down but they weren't putting guests in there so that wouldnt be an option!! I love POR it is a lovely resort. The Mansions however have been getting the rehabs the Bayou homes havent been done yet, although they will probably take them down a few at a time for that when the time comes. Request Oak Manor or Magnolia Terrace or Acadian House. None of them are a really long walk to the bus stops or the main building area. Boatwrights is in the main building area and is lovely for breakfast!! A great way to start of a wonderful day!!!!
As far as Dinner, there are a bunch of restaurants in Downtown Disney. Rainforest Cafe is OK but not very romantic. Bongo's was really good the last time I was there which was a few years ago, but this is not a super quiet restaurant. Fulton's Crab House is very nice with some of the best seafood I have had, but it is pricey. Please see the menus link for more details on that. I Have also heard Wolfgang Puck's is very good but I havent been there myself!!! Have a great time!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
POR has a boat that will take you to Downtown Disney. Since this is your first trip to WDW, I would suggest you eat at the Rainforest before the Show.

I have stayed in both sections of POR and I like them both, but he Bayou seciton is my favorite. Ask for a room close to the foodcourt and you will have a few different buildings on both sides to choose from. The really cool thing about this resort is the further back you go the older and more rustic the buildings look. Disney did a wonderful job with the theming on this resort. This is my families favorite moderate. You will really enjoy it.

Have a wonderful time and if you need any help, please feel free to contact me.

Pam

Upvote 0

mrtoad

Kingdom Konsultant said:
POR has a boat that will take you to Downtown Disney. Since this is your first trip to WDW, I would suggest you eat at the Rainforest before the Show.

I have stayed in both sections of POR and I like them both, but he Bayou seciton is my favorite. Ask for a room close to the foodcourt and you will have a few different buildings on both sides to choose from. The really cool thing about this resort is the further back you go the older and more rustic the buildings look. Disney did a wonderful job with the theming on this resort. This is my families favorite moderate. You will really enjoy it.

Have a wonderful time and if you need any help, please feel free to contact me.

Pam

I have to agree with Pam. The resort it beautiful and extremely well themed.

And sorry, I forgot to mention about the boat. It is close to the main building. It is one of our favorite things to do. On our upcoming trip we are staying at a different resort but my wife has already asked if we can head to POR to eat at Boatwrights and take the launch to Downtown Disney. You will really enjoy it.

Upvote 0

M. Racer

We've eaten at Fulton's, Portobella Yacht Club, Wolfgang Pucks and the House of Blues. Blues is the closest to Cirque. We liked the food at Fulton's best, then Portobella. Had some great sushi at Wolfgang Puck's too, but I know that's not for everyone. Hate Rainforest cafe's in general, but hav never eaten at the one in DD (if there's a difference). You will love La Nouba.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom