News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is an intelligent and well thought out post. We are not dealing with intelligent people who think anything out. Their “plan” is as well thought out as the original one to dissolve the district.
I think what you see is people putting on a facade of 'progressing the idea' when in fact they already have their end-game decided, but won't admit it. That's why the ideas don't seem to follow any natural flow or progression in the public view... because the steps are just being 'faked' for all intents.

Instead of a discussion that naturally tries to address uncertainties or concerns.. you get what looks like a bullheaded approach that ignores plainly obvious things.

These are all tells of something that is pre-determined instead of organically progressing.

fotofx

Can you provide a reference to support any of these claims?

Something in the charter maybe? News stories from the time period? Documentaries that delve into the details? Court case findings from previous changes? Opinion pieces from prior to 2022? Talking points from politicians? Crazy internet theories? Anything at all that supports (even if incorrectly) any of this?

Thread moves fast. Reading it all, especially with off topic deletes could be hard. But, did you read any of it? 50, 30, or even 10 pages of it?

Can you give any reasons at all that this would be new to the discussion?
If you go on Youtube there are plenty of videos of Walt showing what he had planned and the press conference with the Governor stating he did not want a sequel but something entirely new.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The original plans that were provided to the state at the time Reedy Creek was created included businesses, residences, recreation, transportation, and all the infrastructure to create a city that you could live, work, and play in.

How do you think you would have gotten to the Magic Kingdom if it was still in a swamp, without power, without roads, without potable water and was still filled with bugs?

And what is all this infrastructure that was built out doing these days since EPCOT wasn't built? Are they all sitting around idle??

Or... was it all actually needed for things besides EPCOT too? :)

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also, at the May 1st meeting, Garcia went on and on about how the district‘s urban planning and design was stuck in 1967. Obviously that’s complete nonsense and he knows it. Just because the district was founded in ‘67 doesn’t mean that the urban planning was stuck in that era. He also went on to applaud Disney’s innovation in this field.

Which begs the question: “At the May 1st meeting, Chairman Garcia said and I quote, ‘That’s what we’re trying to do, is bring this district from an urban planning perspective into today’s times. And think about the innovation that has occured in that industry. Think about why Disney has been so successful in the past 56 years…because they innovated. Innovation is the American way.’ Now, if Disney had control over this district as you say they did, and they own the vast majority of land in the district, and they’re an innovator in urban planning and design, then your theory that this district was stuck in the urban planning of the sixties is nonsense. And therefore, the task assigned to you by the legislature and the governor is total bunk.”
It was a long winded setup to try to argue why they need new density changes to support their agenda of forcing some residential into the property.

Not an actual argument, but a setup to tee up their pre-determined conclusion.

Chi84

Premium Member

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you go on Youtube there are plenty of videos of Walt showing what he had planned and the press conference with the Governor stating he did not want a sequel but something entirely new.
Yes, but that *idea* was already on the back burner by the time RCID was proposed to the state. The state was drooling at the potential for what Disneyland East was gonna do for them...

Walt's vision was very much still just an idea -- which the company parked and pivoted away from virtually immediately after Walt passed. The resort was the company's priority -- which still had the majority of the same needs. The entire property, not just EPCOT, were being designed to be forward thinking from the start... which RCID helped enable.

The notion that RCID was only to serve the purpose of building EPCOT is fiction.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still feel that what the state thought they were going to get and what they actually got are very different. Universal seems to be doing very well without the benefits. I agree it is a much smaller scale land wise but they managed.
They also built nearly 20 yrs later in an entirely different area in an economic base that was already riding on the back of Disney.

mmascari

What Walt had visions for and what the RCID was set up to achieve were different things. They did not have the same requirements. Do any of those videos actually tie the two together? Or are they just suggestive?

flynnibus

Premium Member
What Walt had visions for and what the RCID was set up to achieve were different things. They did not have the same requirements. Do any of those videos actually tie the two together? Or are they just suggestive?
We know RCID was created to be forward looking to include EPCOT concepts - it just wasn't ONLY for EPCOT. That's the falsehood... that without EPCOT there was no need for RCID or it was some sort of switcheroo.

Which is why it makes for such a plausible conspiracy plot... always have some threads of truth woven in so you can have something to make your incredible leaps from :)

MagicHappens1971

I love Disney and have been a shareholder for several decades. That being said, I really believe Reedy Creek should have been dissolved in the early 70's.

Reedy Creek came about because Walt's original plan centered around EPCOT which was going to basically be a city. The original plans that were provided to the state at the time Reedy Creek was created included businesses, residences, recreation, transportation, and all the infrastructure to create a city that you could live, work, and play in.

This was never built. Had Walt have just proposed building a theme park I do not believe Reedy Creek would have existed.
This is wrong, but even if you had just skimmed through a few pages you would see that this has been asked and answered countless times

StaceyH_SD

If the state of Florida did not like the arrangement they had anytime in the last 50+ years to dissolve it. They didn’t. In fact, the last time Florida reviewed doing just that - in 2004 I think? - they came to the conclusion that it was a benefit to both the state and Disney/the local area to keep the arrangement as is.

MagicHappens1971

If the state of Florida did not like the arrangement they had anytime in the last 50+ years to dissolve it. They didn’t. In fact, the last time Florida reviewed doing just that - in 2004 I think? - they came to the conclusion that it was a benefit to both the state and Disney/the local area to keep the arrangement as is.
I posted a ton of screenshots and proof from a 2004 report from the Office of Government Accountability where yes, they affirmed that RCID was serving its purpose.

Here's the link if anyone would like to give it a read.

Patcheslee

Baseless speculation, but I’d even venture that the Board likely prefers the car and suburb focused urban design that still dominated in the mid-60s and not more contemporary urban design. I don’t buy for a second that any of these people actually believe there should be more affordable housing. Like everything, they likely see it as a punishment and it’s only a punishment because it’s something they view as undesirable.
Some of the meetings touch on finances and income. Of course if they build housing in the district, it becomes more income for them. They would have income from all the utilities associated with the properties along with rent.

Stripes

I posted a ton of screenshots and proof from a 2004 report from the Office of Government Accountability where yes, they affirmed that RCID was serving its purpose.

Here's the link if anyone would like to give it a read.
And the reason the report was requested was because the legislative committee was concerned about the possibility that Comcast would acquire Disney and take the district in a new direction, thereby implying that they were happy with Disney’s control and concerned about the district potentially straying from its existing path.

tissandtully

Lilofan

Error in article, banned businesses included bowling alleys. I recall a location ( Splitsville ) that you could go bowling, drink and eat by AMC at Disney Springs years ago.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Interestingly, there's the Target liquor store off of Herzog, which is still "on property"

lazyboy97o

Error in article, banned businesses included bowling alleys. I recall a location ( Splitsville ) that you could go bowling, drink and eat by AMC at Disney Springs years ago.
Interestingly, there's the Target liquor store off of Herzog, which is still "on property"
The Walgreens also has a liquor store, in the same shopping center.
The prohibited uses are from the restrictive covenants that restrict what the District can build on its property. They’re not district-wide bans for all property owners, just the District.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom