News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MrPromey

I think it has been a bad battle to pick, though. Lashing out at Disney World just makes him look like a petty and petulant wannabe tyrant and his main opponent look positively statesmanlike.
There is certainly a base that loves this but Florida is a purple state.

We're actually a purple country.

Every time someone gets in power, they claim winning is a clear mandate of the will of the people for everything on that candidate's laundry list, totally ignoring that more than 50% can't even be bothered to vote in most elections so no, there is no mandate from the American people when anyone in high office gets voted in.

Him wasting tax payer money flying to other states for speeches and going after Disney on a "social" issue is not, I can assure you, the will of the majority of whom he governs. Even most people politically aligned have more important and personal concerns right now (just one of which is home owner's insurance).

What this guy is doing is making some people love him but between this and other things, he's not going to be flipping many independents in his direction - not on the state or federal level.

It would be entertaining watching him try to pivot if/when the time comes and he has to, though.

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

Well, I guess that's one way to spin what actually happened. :rolleyes:
Might want to read up on Vice’s reporting (an organization that is no friend of Desantis and would generally be aligned with Jones’ worldview):

Brian

Today, he also said he was going to use the legislature to "nullify" the agreements. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that against the US Constitution's contracts clause?
A 1983 SCOTUS decision laid out a case, and set the parameters for a judicial test to determine if a state can make a law that interferes with existing contracts. They can, provided:
  1. It does not substantially interfere with the rights of the contracting party
  2. The state has a legitimate and significant interest
  3. The law is reasonably related to furthering this interest
Source: https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/459/400/

In my humble opinion, this is not really an open and shut case, but I'll let the lawyers on this site weigh in with their take.

Last edited:

peter11435

A 1983 SCOTUS decision laid out a case wherein a state can make a law that interferes with existing contracts, provided it:
  1. Does not substantially interfere with the rights of the contracting party

In my humble opinion, not really an open and shut case, but I'll let the lawyers on this site weigh in with their take.
1. It would
2. They don’t
3. It’s not

Brian

1. It would
2. They don’t
3. It’s not
Court dismissed. Bring in the dancing lobsters!

Court Trial GIF

Chi84

Premium Member
Just a friendly reminder: This thread is supposed to be about RCID and yesterday it was very much on track. Today it seems to be getting much more into personal feelings about politicians. That's how threads get locked, and I wonder if some of the people posting here have that as their goal.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A 1983 SCOTUS decision laid out a case wherein a state can make a law that interferes with existing contracts, provided it:
  1. Does not substantially interfere with the rights of the contracting party

In my humble opinion, this is not really an open and shut case, but I'll let the lawyers on this site weigh in with their take.
Yeah, um….can revenge against a company that spoke out against the Governor be the state’s legitimate and significant interest?

MrPromey

As a personal policy, I don't entertain Holocaust comparisons. Call me when the gas chambers open.
Neither do I which is why I didn't get into what happened a decade later.*

Things went south long before that point for the people of that country, though, with a certain candidate successfully maneuvering a democracy into a dictatorship through populist politics and corruption rather than a civil war.

It's easy to forget with the really, really horrible stuff that overshadowed it later, all the bad stuff that happened before that.

For what it's worth, I see shades of this with a lot of "you're with us or you're against us" all over the place (not just in one political side and not even just in politics) these days and that scares me for my son's future.

Anyway, I think it's important to pay attention to history if we are to learn anything since nothing happens overnight.

*I removed the post because you're right - it is too easy to see that as an everyone I don't like is message which actually isn't what I was going for.

Last edited:

Brian

Yeah, um….can revenge against a company that spoke out against the Governor be the state’s legitimate and significant interest?
Sadly, the answer depends on which court is hearing it.

If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on Disney, I just don't think it's a slam dunk case. Of course, we'd need to see the specifics of the legislation he's proposing (interfering with the contract) to be able to make a more educated guess as to the outcome.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If I were a betting man, I'd be betting on Disney, I just don't think it's a slam dunk case. Of course, we'd need to see the specifics of the legislation he's proposing (interfering with the contract) to be able to make a more educated guess as to the outcome.
My guess is there ain’t no actual plan yet so no actual specifics to see….just like he said for months after the original bill was passed that he would be announcing a detailed plan then after months of waiting to see what the actual plan would be they repealed the original bill.

Disstevefan1

My guess is there ain’t no actual plan yet so no actual specifics to see….just like he said for months after the original bill was passed that he would be announcing a detailed plan then after months of waiting to see what the actual plan would be they repealed the original bill.
If he had a plan he wouldn’t have been played so perfectly by TWDC.

Brian

I can't believe I had to search so hard to find this clip, but definitely the similar vibes with DeSantis' plan.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Not really. You are reading way too much into that case. In that case, the government action was independent of the contract and didn't substantially alter the contract. It changed the price of the contract because the contract was tied to the price of natural gas at the time of closing, and the government of Kansas changed the law in a way that influenced the price of natural gas.

If the Legislature of FL does anything that results in the dissolution of that contract, that's a very different beast than in the Kansas case, and is one of the types of things that usually end up resulting in a 9-0 or 7-2 decision....

Alternatively, if they outlaw these types of agreements in general (and don't target Disney) that is going to have enormous ripple effects, as these agreements are common and would effect a ton of businesses and communities in the state.

Disney Glimpses

A 1983 SCOTUS decision laid out a case, and set the parameters for a judicial test to determine if a state can make a law that interferes with existing contracts. They can, provided:
  1. It does not substantially interfere with the rights of the contracting party

I would think the blatantly and open admission that what they are doing is purely retaliatory would basically be a shoe in for Disney here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom