News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Scott Randolph is not up for reelection until 2024, so he has a few years to figure out something before then. ;)
Agreed on this. I think he also realizes that the bill sponsors and the Governor don’t really care about Orange County since the people there aren’t voting for them so there’s a little bit of fear that they really may just say too bad, you guys figure this out. I thought I read somewhere that even if RCID dissolves that Orange County could set up their own special district type arrangement for Disney that would be pretty much the same thing. I don’t know the details but that’s the kind of thing they would have to consider if left to figure it out on their own.

Club34

Disney has been involved in FL politics for 50+ years now just like every other major corporation. In the last 2 years alone over 60% of their donations have gone to Republican candidates including most of the bill sponsors and $50K to the Governors re-election campaign. There is a false narrative being painted that Disney is only now getting involved and they shouldn’t. None of these people had a problem cashing the checks when they got their donations.

Should all corporations be banned from political contributions all together? That would have to be passed as a law first and then survive the Supreme Court. Good luck finding enough politicians to vote for that. They almost all take political contributions from corporations and even if you ban direct contributions they would just donate to PACs to avoid the rule.

YES!!! FULL STOP.

I think a good chunk of this culture war, Left vs Right garbage (because both "sides" do it) would be nixed if we got money out of politics because there wouldn't be as much of a motivator to rile up the bases. Issues might be able to stand on their own as just issues.

I would add that although my opinion is DeSantis is acting counter-responsively to Disney having an "opinion" on this bill, my other opinion is big business should NOT be getting sweetheart deals. Whether it's Amazon, WalMart, Disney, Chik-Fil-A, whatever. To me that is the real issue cutting across all political positions. Right now, it appears convenient for a certain segment to care about big business sweetheart deals with regards to Disney, but not too long ago they had a lot to say about AOC who challenged a big company setting up shop in her district. Most of this is theater. It's unfortunate that, again, certain groups are being roped into the mix through no fault of their own and being forced to defend themselves for merely existing- something most of us do not have to do or even think about.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It's absolutely not, because as the law stands now, they will.

You brought up the prospect of the legislature changing the law. That's far from guaranteed to happen. The legislature can't just make a law that only applies to Disney - they have to make it more generic (like they did for this bill by making it apply to districts created before 1968).

The issue with allowing for taxing units on an incorporated municipalities is that it would have consequences beyond Disney, and the legislature may not want those consequences as it would allow counties to get around some of the tax limits in the state constitution by simply setting up taxing units around various municipalities. There's a needle here that the state will have to thread very carefully to avoid unintended side effects. And the GOP legislature may ultimately decide it's better to have the local counties foot Disney's bill (which tend to vote Democrat) than to have their own constituents be taxed.
Those unintended consequences are definitely an issue. We keep going back to the issue of why it was not done if the first place. If the solution to the tax issue is so simple it should have been included from the beginning, not delayed for some future time that could be as late as March 2023. Even if the counties were empowered to create this hypothetical taxing unit, they still have to go through the actual process of implementing those taxes and following the rules for when they can start collecting. All the while the costs are already starting now.

sullyinMT

Sure you can justify it because airline passengers are a captive audience that can’t reasonably leave, so you need to have food options available seven days a week even if they make slightly less money.
It’s an easily defensible position to be sure. My problem lies with the San Antonio council members who made comments that they wouldn’t even entertain CfA’s application due to their donation history, not their Sunday business policy. If those council members had said anything like you’re saying, then move on. I’d rather have a BoJangle’s or Zaxby’s at the terminal, anyway.

JMcMahonEsq

Not just pushed for. The Supreme Court has already ruled that corporations legally are people and that the first amendment applies to them in the Citizens United ruling. Political speech is the most protected form of speech and DeSantis and Florida legislators keep giving Disney exhibits for their first amendment suit as they keep opening their mouths to the press that they are retaliating against Disney for their position on this bill.
I am not 100% sure DeSantis giving Disney exhibits for a first amendment claim isn't 100% in keeping with his plan. DeSantis is many things (not a lot of them good) but stupid isn't one of them. The ISSUE and PRESS with DeSantis being able to simultaneously show he is standing up both for Christian family values AND standing up against special treatment for big corporations is absolute gold for the next presidential election. If he can keep himself as the public media face of the "opposition" and the republicans get the mid term bump that is expected, he solidifies himself as the party front runner for the nomination. AND has the benefit of doing so with issues that are all not related to Trump in any way.

However I can't image he really wants to A) punish one of his states largest employers and tax producers; B) Saddle county property holders with increased taxes; or C) really take control over an area where to date Disney has done just fine running themselves. So you make it clear to everyone that you passed this legislation bc your a take charge kind of guy. Your clear, decisive, you won't be pushed around just because the large corporate mouse has money, and you won't let woke culture erode your family values. If the legislation sticks, great, you have a big victory and you then likely negotiate some type of new deal for the district. If the legislation gets challenged in court and is overturned well you didn't lose. The liberal media combined with liberal judges once again are eroding our nations values. In which case you turn it into a direct mail campaign as to why you are needed in Washington to help correct what is happening to American society. It ends up being win win for his targeted demographic.

correcaminos

Just as an FYI, here is a list of all the airports that have a Chik-Fil-A in them. Quite a few.

I imagine for large enough airports with enough options for food they're fine. For an airport wing even with only one or two options it would be a bad option. Nothing to do with amount they sell but just options for those traveling. I usually fly out of the smaller terminal at my airport. I think there is a Starbucks and 2 eateries. If one were chick fil a it would limit severely. In the main terminal no big deal.

I don't mind airports deciding for that reason. I may not care for chick fil a but many do. Those who don't like can always eat elsewhere.

lazyboy97o

Because they have more than a year to do this.

Really, this is going to be in court before than and I anticipate an injunction being issued.

We’re debating something that’s probably not going to happen anyway.
They don’t have more than a year. The counties have to start figuring things out now. They can’t just start levying taxes in an instant. They have to figure out how to integrate district functions into their functions. Their costs are starting now.

We’re debating something you say probably isn’t going to happen but also saying others are obligated to present as fact. Talk about hypocritical.

Club34

Regardless of the eventual outcome and consequences for TWDC and Reedy Creek, the spirit, tenor and deliberate lack of decency and decorum on display by elected officials who pushed this measure through in special session should be extraordinarily troubling for all US citizens regardless of their affiliation or beliefs.

In reading this thread, I have learned that the state leaders behind punishing TWDC for exercising their right to free speech also support demonizing teachers (education), journalists (free speech), Disney (about as quintessentially American as a company could possibly be), the Special Olympics (threatening to pull state funding because a member of an opposing party was invited to attend a fundraiser and then repeatedly calling that person a w****), as well as anyone who desires nothing more than to be treated equally in a nation founded on the belief of equality for all. And now even the Constitution itself. All while gleefully not only abandoning the democratic principal of professional, mature, measured debate on genuine issues, but seemingly going out of their way to misbehave in the extreme to score cynical political points simply because they feel they can get away with it.

I believe in disagreement over issues. A society that promotes robust debate and allows more than one viewpoint to exist is a healthy society. But I have a genuine question for those who support this kind of leadership. Is this really how you want your leaders to behave? Does this set a good example for your children? Is “winning” at all costs worth endorsing and supporting this sort of behavior? Can’t we as a nation do better?

This is absolutely about the motives of those behind this. And I would ask that what is the endgame of the bill? Although I side with families having a legally protected voice in their kids' education, to me this bill seems poised to marginalize some teachers and alienate students with nontraditional family structures far more than it will "protect" anyone from being indoctrinated about anything. It's just bad. Go back to committee. Bring in a more diverse set of perspectives and make a real bill to protect parents' oversight and to keep reasonable conditions for all people regardless of their private lives. I mean if we cannot do this, what are we really capable of doing, folks? :banghead:

Donald Esq

The legislature easily could write the bill to limit it to those few districts affected by the previous statute.

The legislature did what it did to punish Disney, not to punish Orange County taxpayers.
Can, doesn’t mean they will. Or have even put such a bill in the pipeline. Orange and Osceola are blue counties, so they may well not be in any hurry to do so and they may allow that tax bomb to hit for not voting the “right” way.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The legislature easily could write the bill to limit it to those few districts affected by the previous statute.

The legislature did what it did to punish Disney, not to punish Orange County taxpayers.
No, I don't think legally they could do that - it's too specific. Since the districts no longer exist you can't pass a law about something that doesn't exist anymore, because they would now be taxing the municipalities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. They are distinct from Reedy Creek.

They would need some kind of law that says they could tax all municipalities with x criteria, like population size, landownership, etc., but Disney could easily work around all of those things.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’m just glad the conversation has changed from “Orlando County residents are footing the bill” to “The Florida legislature better do something or Orlando residents are footing the bill.” :)

Remember, when it comes to taxes, legislatures have broad and sweeping powers.
They actually don't in Florida. The state constitution limits their ability quite a bit.

MandaM

How does it marginalize anyone. If a child asks a question the teacher's reply should be 'Ask your parent'. Full stop. Disney is saying parents should not have a voice in what their child is being taught. Why do these things need to be discussed at all for young children? Parents of Florida overwhelmingly approve of this action. Disney executives live in California - do not vote in Florida and should not interfere with what Floridians want. When my children were small they were taught to read and write in the early grades - no mention was made of gender. Why do my grandchildren have to be subjected to subjects they are not mature enough to understand? Disney shopuld have stayed out of the conversation and not proclaimed they would use their resources to overturn the bill. They do NOT know better than the parents of Florida.
No mention was made of gender when your kids went to school? They didn’t use boy, girl, Mrs, Mr, mom, dad? Gender is always present. Nobody, including Disney, is saying parents don’t have a voice in what kids are taught. Some people object to just acknowledging that transgender or gay people exist, and that’s what Disney and others are saying is wrong.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’m interested in calmly discussing possible outcomes while trying to avoid hysteria.

Repeating myself, the most likely outcome (in my opinion) is that, because of Citizens United, this statute is ruled a violation of Disney’s First Amendment rights.
I actually think the most likely outcome is Disney wins on the fact that as their district was constituted, the law required that it could only be undone by a vote of the residents. The notwithstanding clause in the current legislation might not be legal.

In reality I think Disney has a number of different paths to fight this on, not the least of which is the first amendment claim. But they only need one to prevail in order to win.

lazyboy97o

I’m interested in calmly discussing possible outcomes while trying to avoid hysteria.

Repeating myself, the most likely outcome (in my opinion) is that, because of Citizens United, this statute is ruled a violation of Disney’s First Amendment rights.
You are not just discussing outcomes. You have repeatedly stated it is wrong and disingenuous to discuss the present situation that currently exists. This started because you criticized an official for discussing the current situation he has to deal with and not instead focusing on hypotheticals he does not control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom